Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RV Sport Arctic Cat (est. 1963) in Thief River Falls, Minnesota closes permanently with no interested buyers.

The good new is the nearest Arctic Cat Dealer is only a 2-hour round trip away in Mahnomen, Minnesota. I guess anyone who ordered a, $8,000 Blast can pick it up there.

Reactions: dskofich

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Mahnomen, Bemidji, Hawley, Fargo, etc. Randy retired.
That covers quite a huge area, almost half the state. I think Hamms Repair in Warren was RV's nearest competition for Arctic. But I'm shocked no one took over RV Sports, between mail order and the employee program there was considerable money to be made. It also seems odd Thief River has a thriving Polaris Dealer but now no Cat Dealer. I liked Randy, both him and his Dad Vern were always a wealth of Info when I had my dealership, plus we did a lot of inter-dealer trading. If it wasn't for flying I would have aggressively tried to buy it.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Not that hard to believe, if you were investing money would it be in this industry? Smart money I feel would say no way. With the US making up ~40% of world wide sales and sales dropping another 10% in 2020 to 123K, plus all the online sales for parts and accessories unless you have the passion and $$$ its a tough industry.

new-snow-sales-worldwide.jpg

·
HCS Ambassador
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
4,069 Posts
The only way to open a AC dealership is to have it as an "add on" to existing line of business like lawn mowers etc. As a sole line of business it's not a smart move. Textron will learn this as they move along.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Not that hard to believe, if you were investing money would it be in this industry? Smart money I feel would say no way. With the US making up ~40% of world wide sales and sales dropping another 10% in 2020 to 123K, plus all the online sales for parts and accessories unless you have the passion and $$$ its a tough industry.

View attachment 2106892
If it was only snowmobiles, yes. RV had multiple lines but they went around with the Arctic management about selling Honda. At one time they had mowers, boats, trailers motorcycles and a few other odds and ends. Their mail order used to be big since they were able to use the factory for their warehouse, they'd take orders then Vern used to drive to the plant, pick everything up in time to get it on the truck in the evening. another plus they had was getting first choice on returned carry-overs and picking thru sleds the factory used. I believe there is still good money to be made there.

·
Insane Madcatter
274 Posts
Who cares.
Each dealership is different, each area.
Money is tight for many people still.
Dealerships that survive sell 2-3 major brands and lots of various product, I know some that sell cars too.
Textron stock has been going up the last 6 months, and Cat is selling a good amount of sleds.
They need to sell more UTV's and ATV's, the Havoc is actually pretty fucking awesome but renaming things to ' Textron' really held them back in a time when it was the last thing Cat needed, was a mysterious name to your average joe.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I don't see any single manufacture places anywhere in my area anymore, back in the 80's there was a lawn and garden place that also sold AC, a well drilling business that also sold Poo, and Fabricating place that sold husqvarna dirt bikes. The only one still in business is the dirt bike place and only because they now sell all makes and models AC, Doo, Yam, Poo, Honda, Kaw, KTM, I can't see many places selling only one manufacture making it long term these days.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who cares.
Dealerships that survive sell 2-3 major brands and lots of various product, I know some that sell cars too.
Textron stock has been going up the last 6 months, and Cat is selling a good amount of sleds.
The reason it is BIG deal is because the dealership is in Thief River Falls!!! Seems like Arctic Cat would be embarrassed that Thief River Falls has lost their Arctic Cat dealership and the nearest one is an hour away, and yet Thief River Falls has a Polaris dealership. If you can't sell Arctic Cats in Thief River Falls, of all places, you've got a problem.

Before Covid, the economy was breaking economic records for 4 straight years, and yet dealers were dropping Arctic Cat almost every week.

Textron is a big company, and Cat is a small part of that. Exactly how many sleds is Cat selling??? Do you think they will break the coveted 15% market share benchmark this year?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You forgot the part of Doo making the aftermarket make parts to hold the G4 sled together. I see grip and RIP found more areas that need additional bracing. Got to love that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
From what I understand the havoc has been discontinuedfor 2021
Who cares.
They need to sell more UTV's and ATV's, the Havoc is actually pretty fucking awesome but renaming things to ' Textron' really held them back in a time when it was the last thing Cat needed, was a mysterious name to your average joe.

View attachment 2106897

·
Registered
947 Posts
Textron's stock price is hardly worth bragging about. The YTD chart tells more of the story as the stock is still nowhere near back to it's high for the year while Polaris went above it's high for the year this month and BRP was right back at it's high.

The issue with Textron and its share price is Cat is a nat on TXT's ass when it comes to revenues and over the past three year's it's been more like an albatross around it's neck. The Q2' results are still showing losses from restructuring and paring back of the business.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Textron's stock price is hardly worth bragging about. The YTD chart tells more of the story as the stock is still nowhere near back to it's high for the year while Polaris went above it's high for the year this month and BRP was right back at it's high.

The issue with Textron and its share price is Cat is a nat on TXT's ass when it comes to revenues and over the past three year's it's been more like an albatross around it's neck. The Q2' results are still showing losses from restructuring and paring back of the business.
With Textron it's obvious they were hoping to use their contacts to cut into Polaris's government contracts. I haven't seen that happen yet.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Don't need it with the Prowler 500, full size Prowler, and Wildcat.
Prowler Pro is pretty slick.
Polaris/Can Am set the standards for UTV's though, Ranger's/Sportsmans are great machines.

View attachment 2106907
They are whisper quiet! I could care less about speed any more. I want one of these but need to pay off some of my other toys first. Best Utility quad built today in my personal opinion.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts