Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,913 Posts
Physically impossible. The clutch rocks as a unit. Any movement you are feeling is occurring within the engine. If you were to remove the cover and the spring then you could move the spider within the movable sheave. But as an assembled unit, it just can’t move. I would find a dealer that is familiar with AC snowmobile’s, if you’re going to have that thing checked out you, might as well have it checked out.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I agree it can’t be the clutch your feeling. I think it’s just the slack in the hole drive system. When you move one way to the the other what your getting is slack first till it tightens up in the engine and starts moving the pistons. Just a theory but possible. Just so you don’t go get all worried, from what I see it all looks pretty decent and a good go over will do it some good.

·
Premium Member
20,913 Posts
Sure is. I had half zoomed in on that too when he first posted it and decided I thought it was just setting crooked on the cover end. That’s the original black spring that was suppose to have been removed though right? Because they were breaking

·
Registered
243 Posts
Congrats on buying a great sled! I have two and love them.

I echo all of stronger800's comments, he is a great resource on this forum. The only thing I would add is reeds. If they've never been replaced, replace them. Lot's of info on that here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Broken primary spring is what you might be hearing in the clutch. Hopfully that spring hasn't been broken for very long, if it has been a long time broken it can cause goofy wear in the clutch.

Nice looking sled otherwise, telescoping steering post is nice for taller people to stand up and ride but the bushing tends to wear faster than we'd like and makes the handle bars feel a little sloppy over time.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I think that spring was re-called, mine broke early 800 miles, purchased a new one then the re-call came out later that year.

My 2010 I had issues with...
Primary clutch broken spring
Primary clutch spider cracked
Secondary clutch rebuilt by a guy in N LP Mi. day and night difference
When changing DD oil I always removed unit and opened it up found the main bearing was bad (easy R&R with press)
Idler wheels went out about 2800 miles (re-place with 2009 or older lasted much longer 4x in my case and were still going)
Lost a ring locating pin at 8900 miles so needed a top end
Sounds like a lot but that was over 6 years and 12,000 miles sled was very fun, light front end and fast up to 100, not geared for top end. As said early make sure to let it warm up

21 - 28 of 28 Posts