Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everywhere I go, I hear about how bad the 700 twin is. Slow, unreliable, it just plain sucks!!!

Is it really that bad of an engine?

I'm rebuilding an old wildcat 700. There not much stock about this one, but I havn't taken it for a run yet. I've been hearing that the older engines are better/quicker then the newer 99+, is this true?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
That engine was at its best in the (1995 I think) ZR 700 with twin pipes. Otherwise, it's an OK engine. It's shaky and underpowered by today's standards, but it will still run pretty strong in the hands of a capable tuner. The last ZR 700 (99 I think) was a poorly-calibrated POS. Cat messed with the sled to make it quiet and it just never performed on par with the Polaris or Doo 700s of that time.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I won a ZR700. Yes it did take a lot to get it tuned right. But once there it's a fun sled. And reliable.

Yes it shakes a bit at idle and it does have poor mileage. But I've scared the crap out more than a few buddies who thought these were dogs!

On mine, I have A BM head. D&D pipes, power breather, Clutched - Various items to get it right. And of Course jetted. It will run with most 700's now - except a F7.

Heres an engine view

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Sorry I did WIN it .. I OWN it!!
Trust an engineer to mispell.

Me fail english? That's unpossible!
:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Great workhorse engine but since it is not a true case reed engine it has limited horsepower potential. The original big block twin.

We own a '94 Zr 700. It is coming up on 10,000 miles with original crank & bearings etc. Pistons are Wisco @ 7500 mi. but it really did not need them.

We have mild port clean up, carbon tech reeds, 41.5 mm carbs, "just right" jetting and some clutch work. Sled will do 108 mph on a good day.

BobCat

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Under rated sled/motor. I've owned both a '99 and 2000 ZR-700, after clutching/jetting/air box gutted performed very well with decent mileage. As for reliability.......zero issues...period.
If A/C had still made in I would have bought another.

Rick.

·
Registered
72 Posts
make it a 800 exlent performance,mine is a 800 hooper with mild porting fairly inexpencive and reliable,run mine for 2years in the trail and 2 years drag racing still running same engine this year

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
As I understand it the old Wildcat 700's made 115 hp and the ZR 700's made 125 hp. When Cat brought the motor back they only used a single pipe, when previously they used twin pipes, and the "new" 700 was only rated at about 106 - 108 hp. The old Wildcats were well known for shaking the clutch to pieces, but the motor itself was reliable. The guys from Supertrax magazine once wrote that it 'was as reliable as farmer John's anvil'. I've heard of lots of guys who were getting pretty good gas milage with them too.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
the reason they brought it back was by popular demand the earlier ones were (battery powered efi) when they came back flats were the rage and tps too, also they used comet clutches in earlier ones ?? good thing they dropped the efi that was where polaris got into trouble cat was next but it did not stand up in court because by then batteryless efi was on the market and cat held the patent the 800 looks so similar to it except case reed good move for cat .

·
Registered
539 Posts
700 motor has alot of potential.i had a trail sled and a 700 pro-stock drag sled.that can get good fuel econ. because long stroke makes motor efficent. both 95's trail made 140 hp and race sled made 153hp,bestr et was 6.29 at race up in canada.balanced clutch and pistons on both,took out alot of the vibration.digital ignition on new 700's is the problem,68+81mm motor likes to breath at between 8350-8500 rpms not 7800.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts