Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saturday i rode in -23 below 0 weather but everything was fine until i stopped for lunch. then the apv's froze up and the right side cable came off. Tried to pull on cable no luck. so today i took it all apart. Man what a mess, oil soaked and gummed up. Cleaned and polished each valve and what a differance. also lubed cables with marvins oil. also cleaned secondary and took a shim out. hold on to the bars tight. :D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I had the same problem on my ZR, after I cleaned them they stuck on the 2nd ride. It was around zero at the time, we went in to eat and they were froze. I only had about 150 miles on them AFTER I cleaned them???????????

·
Registered
227 Posts
I found that the oil thickens up after it sits awhile when the temp is CCCCOLD... :wacko: after you get it warmed up a bit..they work fine. I learned this after I kept taking apart my already clean valves...

·
Registered
178 Posts
So are you supposed to lube them or not? I cleaned my valves the other day and within 1 hour of riding they were sticky and hard to move. Caused the servo not to stroke properly. Cleaned the devil out of them tonight, tried to do the cables too. Used an electrical cleaner that evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. It's called "Blueshower". Will try the machine tomorrow nite to see if problem is gone away. Lube or no Lube????

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
The reason there sticky is all that oil working its way up the cables-Only happens on very cold days-Yes you can lube the cables,but thats still not going to prevent the real problem-F7s and F6s have a oil seal built into the valve plate that prevents exhaust oil from getting to cables-F5s do not have this seal!!!!Arctic cat is working with gls on some type of solution-Until then you can clean your valves every day,but its still not going to prevent the cables from gumming up-Where better off putting new cables on every time we ride-Actually once my f5s warm up and i ride for 10 minutes on very cold days and the valves actuate everything seems fine-Its nice having those washers behind servo spool so the cables dont slack up and fall off when warming up the engine-What else can we do???Both my f5s are in the shop getting new cables finally but honestly thats not going to fix the problem until cat decides what there going to do with the 04 f5s and that valve seal-scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts