Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a problem with low RPMS. I have an f5. I ran it a week ago and the thing was a rocket. RPM s were at 8400. Today I got it out and the thing would only hit 7800-7900 RPMs. inspecting it closer I discovered that the wires by the plug to the servomotor had gotten into the clutch and rubbed some of them in two, and had bared the others. I tried another servomotor out of another f5 we had sitting around the shop. The servomotor wont take up the slack in the cables, so they droop and just about fall out of the motor, and most of the time the servomotor wont open up except clean-up on the start. According to the 2002 service manual this is normal if the voltage is incorrect. Also, my f-5 is different as far as wiring to the other two f5's that we have in stock. Mine has a oil sender adapter with pn 686-101 stamped on it. The other two dont have this on them. Anyone else had this happen to them? Any solutions that anyone knows of? This is terrible when cat hasnt even gotten out the new service manuals for these sleds yet. It kind of makes troubleshooting hard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try checking and testing regulator and condenser to the servo motor. then test
stator for voltage output.. also before starting,turn the servo clockwise by hand to open the cables
start engine and servo should return. we have also had a few that have had the secondary spring
come out of the hole on the helix side,but that would be just to simple

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured on checking the condencer, regulator, and coil. I'll call cat on monday for specs. The servo motor though when you pull the cover off, they are slack, Like really slack, not nice and snug on this one like the rest. If you tighten the motor clockwise, when you start it, after it cycles the clean out mode, the cables go way slack. The cables are in spec too, and the valves are free. I just hope that the bare wires didnt fry anything else!!! Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check to see if your cables are moving freely. Cat didn't vent their power valves this year and it pushes the "ooze" that would normally vent up through your cables causing them to stick or move slowly causing the cables to unhook. I've only seen this happen on the F5's, not F7's. :unsure:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked sled out today. Tested condenser,DC APV output, and regulator rect. All of these were OK. Problem was in CDI box. Evidently when servomotor harness got ruined it fried the servomotor brains in it. All is now Ok. Thanks for the tips guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts