Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am running the APV oil, and I dont like it, its like 33.00 a gallon where I am, but I can take the empty jugs anf get them filled for 25...still expensive...now the question, all you other guys that have APV's do you run the cat oil or do you run somthing else, if you run somthing else what is it and what is the cost?

Dave

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Dave,

In my old sled ( 99 ZL 500 Carb) I only ran the old cat NON APV oil. Now that I have a new F5, I used one gallon of the APV oil from Cat, and have bought four gallons of Amsoil Synthetic regular. It goes for 15 a gallon, shipped to your door, and it burns MUCH CLEANER and with a much lower pour point ( in cold temps, to flow better), its all around better...

Hope this helps

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with Steve when I bought my machine last year I bought a case of Arctic Cat Synthetic, this fall I had 3 gallon left, it sucked so bad I gave it away. Gunked up the valves in nothing flat.
Changed to Amsoil and *so far* it seems much, much better, less smoke, less goo and less price.
H

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i am thinking of switching fairly hard, i am sick of paying out my ass for a lower quality oil...i am thinking of amsoil...is there any "model" of amsoil that will work better with my power valves?
thanks guys

Dave

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Just the regular 2 cycle synthetic..... unless you are running a high compression head and heavily modded sled, you don't need the racing oil, costs more, and not getting any benefit

If you sign up on AMSOil.com as a preferred member and pay a little bit for a membership, you get the discount, a buddy of mine let me use his account and gave him some bonus credits, got it shipped for just under 15 a gallon...

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have found that most dealers (in my area, western Massachusetts) stock both Amsoil synthetic injector oil ($20/gal) and the 'racing' oil ($30-34/gal). I have heard nothing but good about the Amsoil products, and will be putting injector oil in my '03 ZL600 EFI when the tank gets close to empty. $20/gal sure beats the $32/gal I was paying for AC APV oil.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You can sign up as a dealer or preferred customer and buy at wholesale. I am a dealer. $13.60 plus tax a gal for regular and about 23.00 for the racing oil. Great stuff.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You can sign up as a dealer or preferred customer and buy at wholesale. I am a dealer. $13.60 plus tax a gal for regular and about 23.00 for the racing oil. Great stuff. I am in Wisconsin west of Milwaukee.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
just recieved 2 gallon,s other day paid 34.55 so far so good pumped old apv oil right out and disposed of it at work if all goes well i will be getting more dealer i bought it from registered me for prefered customer for free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been an amsoil dealer for about 4 years and love their products....but, I recently tried Blue Marble oil. All I can say is this stuff is awsome! I will only run Blue Marble in my 2 strokes for now on. It does everything it claims which I was very unwilling to believe before I tried it. I gained 300 rpm's on my top end after running it for only 2 hours. It smokes less and less on start up the longer the motor has been run with it. Once it warms up, it doesn't smoke at all. Pretty amazing stuff. Amsoil is good too, just not as good as Blue Marble.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there is a guy i ride with that swears to castrol...will this hurt the power valves or what...it has all the same specs as the cat oil, looks and smells the same...whats up with this?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Well, you know how the old saying goes:

"If it smells like a Cat, and burns like a Cat, then its a Cat..." OOPS, maybe not quite the exact quote I was looking for but you get the idea....

Cat probably just subsidized it out to Castrol..... I've been trying to find out who they did it with....

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that guy has a f7 sp will liek 3000 miles on it and thats all he has ran, only cleand thevales once i think and has had not problems with them. he cahnged to caterol at 1100 miles, his valves stuck at about 1050 went to the other kind and has had no issues yet...i still dont know...what do you folks think about that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts