Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer told me i had to run APV oil but that it could be the synthetic or the regular. Is this true?

I think my dealer sold me the regular APV oil but i'm looking at the Arctic Cat accessories catalog right now and it clearly says "SYNTHETIC APV Oil is the only oil recommended for engines with arctic power valves".

Am i using the wrong oil? :( Mine is APV but it is not synthetic.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
SYNTHETIC SYNTHETIC SYNTHETIC SYNTHETIC SYNTHETIC

Can't say it enough! You will have problems with your power valves if you use conventional oil!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Get yourself some Amsoil and save yourself some bucks. The regular APV will plug the valves. I am getting Amsoil for exactly half the price of AC syn APV oil and with 3500 miles not a plugged valve.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it says APV, it is snythetic.

No true. I'm currently using APV oil made by arctic cat that's NOT the "APV SYNTHETIC".

SPUDAC, exactly what is the Amsoil oil?

Is "Amsoil" all i need to know or is there different kinds?

·
Registered
720 Posts
The Arctic Cat APV Sythetic oil is blue. I think the coventional APV oil was purple and regular cat oil was greenish / black.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I used regular oil in my f5 only for about my last 40 miles. wat do i do????? will it wreck my sled it sure didnt smell pretty :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
The first year that cat had APV oil it was red and it caused allot of problems with stuck exhaust valves. They changed it the next year (and boosted the price) to a different supplier and the color is blue. If you have the red APV it will cause problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by Yetii@Jan 15 2003, 04:06 PM
The first year that cat had APV oil it was red and it caused allot of problems with stuck exhaust valves. They changed it the next year (and boosted the price) to a different supplier and the color is blue. If you have the red APV it will cause problems.
This is correct, The original APV oil was not synthetic, (I have a case of it in the garage) and it is red in color. If this is what you have don't use it in your APV sled. The new synthetic oil is blue in color and cost $31.99 at your local AC dealer. Use this or another synthetic that folks on this site are using and you'll be fine.

Good luck, Steve

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have found the Torco semi or full synth. to be an excellent
oil with my ZR600 EFI. AND its almost 1/2 the cost of the
CAT APV oil. Am thinking of switching the F5 to it also.
Any risk of noncompatiblities?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by mizax@Jan 15 2003, 02:22 PM
If it says APV, it is snythetic.

No true. I'm currently using APV oil made by arctic cat that's NOT the "APV SYNTHETIC".

SPUDAC, exactly what is the Amsoil oil?

Is "Amsoil" all i need to know or is there different kinds?
Amsoil is another brand of synthetic oil. They have the regular Amsoil synthetic and the racing formulation. The regular is fine for normal riding. Don't let AC tell you to use only their oil. Save some money and get just as good or better results. ;)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Originally posted by SPUDAC@Jan 15 2003, 09:33 PM
Amsoil is another brand of synthetic oil. They have the regular Amsoil synthetic and the racing formulation. The regular is fine for normal riding. Don't let AC tell you to use only their oil. Save some money and get just as good or better results. ;)
Funny thing, Cat says use only their oil. But they don't have an oil. Unless I'm mistaken there are no Arctic Cat refineries anywhere so they get it from somewhere right? I know in Canada Cat oil is Petro Canada oil, just in a Cat bottle.
So I have to agree, use a good name brand synthetic oil, just not CAT. Same results, less money B)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Please see the other oil threads on this board. Buy the Klotz and be done with it. When you have the best, you dont have to worry about the rest. Most of the factory oils stink anyway. The Klotz smells nice. Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would just use Amsoil Interceptor it is just as good if not better then the AC APV 100% Syn. oil, My sled runs interceptor and it always has ran and performed good

·
Registered
223 Posts
everyone keeps saying amsoil is cheaper. i don't see it. if you click on the link from this website, it is $.25 a quart cheaper. if that's the case why not just order the cat stuff?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Amsoil is alot cheaper than APV oil. You just have to know where to get it from. Some people sell it for list, others sell at wholesale, while others, sell at cost. If you look at the shows or know someone that sells it, you can do much better. With the new price increase of Aug 1 2008, case price for Interceptor went up to $117.49 for 4 gallons. APV at about $35.00 a gallon is $140.00 for 4 gallons. Until Aug 1, case price was $100.00 a case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts