Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The APV cables came off of the servo motor on my F-5 this weekend and I know some guys on this forum have been putting rtv silicon on the ends of the cables. The question I have, is there any reason to take the cables off of the servo motor like for measuring the cables? This is my first Cat so Im not real familiar with this setup.

Thanks, Jeff.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
ya very easy take off cover to servo then unclip that holding clip remove the cables(they slide off real easy)then check length of cables per manual polaris and doo have the best system no cables just clean and go

·
Registered
340 Posts
The silicone trick has worked for me so far. If you need to take the cables off just peel off the silicone.

Meanwhile I hope AC is designing an update for this problem.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
on my ZR I found that the cables came off because the valves were a little gummed up. When it is cold out the valves stick a little on the return so the cables slack up and come loose. It is time to clean up the valves before they become too much work.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
unlike the f7 the f5 is getting to much oil. some of the cables are just to short for proper adjustment. the excess oil is going down the cable [which if cable went up it wouldn't be a problem] when cold the oil is sticking the cable. also the valves are sticking at a very earl milage, last one was 242 miles and they were stuck. yamaha dealers sell a product combustion chamber cleaner and it works great. you don't have to completely disassemble the valve.

·
Registered
125 Posts
there is an update available right now my dealer jus had my sled and the dealer said Arctic Cat sent them a new design of wires,150 hard miles and they havent fallen off yet ^_^

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have used silicone to keep the ends of the cables on and so far it has worked.

Now I want to clean the valves but I cant find instructions on how to do it. I know this has been posted before but I tried searching the forum and can't locate it.

Can someone direct me to the post or tell me how to do it. Can I take just the two bolts out on top and pull the whole thing out or is there more to it than that?

thanx

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Originally posted by redfirecat03@Feb 12 2003, 09:03 AM
Can someone direct me to the post or tell me how to do it. Can I take just the two bolts out on top and pull the whole thing out or is there more to it than that?
Exactly,take the two bigger bolts on each side out and it will slide out,you'll also have to remove the servo cover and unhook the cables.there will be a clip that slides off,and you'll be able to pull the cables out from the bottom of the holder,they slide down and out.Remove the big piece of black split loom and after you've pulled the four bigger bolts youll be able to grab both valves and pull the cables through the space between the cylinders.Spray everything down with carb cleaner and scrub the residues off,also spray through the cables,then blow all out with air and relube the cables.careful with the gaskets,also make sure to note the valve position when you remove them from the head,dished side to the bottom,piece of cake,you can use the wire wheel on the valves,just carefully

·
Registered
244 Posts
gls was just on tell it to arctic cat and has said the 04 will be made differant and will be able to fit the 03 models of F5

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I just did at 1300 or so,my sled runs pig rich and uses quite abit of oil,I run Klotz oil and the valves had a few small ridges of gummy deposits around the edges,but weren't all that bad,I'm still having problems with the cables falling off at start up when the temp is below 0,I'm pulling them again today to re-inspect,also gonna re-jet and turn down the oil-pump while I'm there

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well..my situation seems to be the same as most of you other guys..My poor little rocket only tops out at 75mph (F5 standard ) Temp sensor is fine..sems my cables came off once..fixed it..now they stay on no problem but i just noticed there doing the 2 cycle thing at start up..they go up and down..and 2 secs later they do it again and thats the end of that...i've heard some results of different causes but my question is when the valves open up..how much does the cable actually move to open them..it seems that mine move up about 1/4 to 1/2 " before they came down..i thought it would half to move a hell of a lot more then that to open those valves..maybe i'm wrong...So if there not opening all the way..problem solved..if not then i'm onto the next thing to correct it..if anyone knows exactly how much the cables should go up and down to propperly open then i'd appreciate the feedback..just trying to give my baby her proper horsies.. :rolleyes: Thanks to all you guys for your knowledge and wisdom !! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts