Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
With 144 studs Im thinking you are gonna want to run at least 8" carbides.
Cap'n

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
i would think 6" with only 144 studs :dunno:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Ran 96 last year with 6". It was fine. I'd say 144 would be that gray area. I'd probably hop up to an 8" but you'll still be "ok" with 6.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
6 to 10 is the range, depending on your riding style. 6 inch is plenty if you're a high speed cruiser and want to maintain a light steering effort. 8 inch a little more aggressive, not if you're not in shape, cuz they'll really work on your arms in some conditions. 10 inch only if you're really in shape and and want carving knives in all conditions. I ran 6 inchers on my 144 pick RX1, but wished I had some more carbide in some situations.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I ran 144 picks inside and out on my rage last year I used 6, 8 and 10" carbides and the 10s worked the best for me. might drop back down to the 8 so my GF can turn it this year. My Apex is getting 144 down the middle and I'm going to try a 8". I'm also thinking about different skis and if that's the case probably run dual 6"

2,329 Posts
Does anybody know if the ski's are the same as last years rx-1?(06 rtx) I'd just like to know for help with buying carbide"s . most aftermarket books dont list 06 yamaha's yet.. thanks P.T.R.A :banana:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Heres my take on carbides, give it some thought. Once you've ridden a couple hundred miles, crossed or travelled down a few roads, the carbid rounds off and somewha8t flattens making the aggressive quality of having a alot of carbide go down hill and it becomes more of a wear preventer than a steering aid. So while new a 8 or 10 is going to steer much better than a 4 or 6", but as you ride the advantage decreases until the actual bar begins to wear. This is what makes the 8 or 10's far superior IMO is wear prevention. My system is I ride the early season on the stockers and then go to 8 or 10" once theres a base, and then those bars stay till their demise, which has never occured. Of the last 7 new sleds we've owned, once I replaced the oems Ive never again had to put on another set. Good quality bars with lots of carbide last forever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts