Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride an 06 Apex. I love the sled overall but am finding the weight of this sled to be an issue on the trails we ride. (Narrow and sometimes full of moguls). to stay with my Buddies in these trails is a work out. They ride Doo XP 800, Polaris XC sp. 700. I find im beat at the end of a 80 mile ride. I have the sled set up with Big Boy spring, Simmons Skis, Studded Track, etc. I have been riding since 1969 and can ride with the best of them, but this sled is beating me up. I want to stay with the 4 Stroke. The Nytro is my next choice.
Can you give me your opinion on the Nytro compaired to the Apex.
I see it has a smaller tank. How far can you ride on a tank full?
Is it a tiring sled to ride all day?
Is it a cold sled to ride?
Does it take the bumps well?
My only other option is to go to a Ski-Doo XP. and i don't want to do that.
Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I had an 06 Apex GT last year! I liked the sleds overall power and the suspension. I just found it to be too heavy going in and out of twisty tight trails. I was beat at the end of the day. It is a very fast sled though but just to heavy if you want to carve. If your and older rider who just wanst to take your time through the tight trails with the occasionaly straight wide open run. Its a great sled.

Now this year I switched up to the FX Nytro. Its feels and is alot lighter then the Apex. To answer your questions.

1. The Nytro is as cold to ride as the Apex. However you can buy taller windshields and side deflectors for it. Which are ugly in my opinion.

2. I did 80 HARD miles yesterday. The trails were beat to shit. This sled will take the bumps like no other sled I've ridden once you get it setup. A Crossfire rolled over trying to stay with me last night. Once you get the Nytro dialed in its hard to beat through the tight twistie trails. (throw away stock skis)

3. Fuel range. I've gotten 80miles on a tank the other day. I only have 470 miles on the sled. I suspect once I change the oil and its broken in. It will get better mileage. It should get as high as 120 miles a tank. Its still 3-7$ cheaper at fuel stops then every other sled I ride which is the same as the Apex was.

4. Also the Nytro is much easier on the ears.. No more droning sound burning your ears out.

My only real complaint is the wet left boot.. I plugged the holes yesterday with a peice of air exchanger filter and duct tape. I know it sound ghetto.. but problem solved. The handwardmers work better then the Apex.. but not by much..

I plan to re-gear and re-clutch to try and get some top end out of this thing. The motor as plenty power. A nice exhaust and EFI programmer would make it a real all around crazy sled IMO.

I hope this helps.

·
Vendor
17,622 Posts
I ride an 06 Apex. I love the sled overall but am finding the weight of this sled to be an issue on the trails we ride. (Narrow and sometimes full of moguls). to stay with my Buddies in these trails is a work out. They ride Doo XP 800, Polaris XC sp. 700. I find im beat at the end of a 80 mile ride. I have the sled set up with Big Boy spring, Simmons Skis, Studded Track, etc. I have been riding since 1969 and can ride with the best of them, but this sled is beating me up. I want to stay with the 4 Stroke. The Nytro is my next choice.
Can you give me your opinion on the Nytro compaired to the Apex.
I see it has a smaller tank. How far can you ride on a tank full?
Is it a tiring sled to ride all day?
Is it a cold sled to ride?
Does it take the bumps well?
My only other option is to go to a Ski-Doo XP. and i don't want to do that.
Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.[/b]
Coming off of a 2 stroke I can honestly say that this sled takes no more effort to ride then a 2 stroke once set up properly.

Fuel consumption has been around 12 mpg right now and I have 540 miles on mine.

Riding this sled all day shouldn't be an issue once the sled is set up.

The sled is a little cold compared to many other sleds but it's not horrible for most. Me I have cold feet and this sled freezes my feet and my hands stay warm because I have the Heat Loc Handguards on mine.

Bumps.....IT LOVES THEM!

Awesome ungroomed/groomed trail sled, it literally rails! Good Luck!

·
Registered
489 Posts
In the last couple of years I have had a firecat 700 efi sno pro with a few mods and last year rode a crossfire 700 efi with nothing but the inline fuel reducer. In my opinion the crossfire definitely had a nicer ride through the choppy stuff, but then again I don't think I have the nytro dialed in yet. As far as the overall fun factor, I don't think I have ridden a funner corner to corner sled than the nytro, period. I just rolled 600 miles yesterday and had an absolute blast. I rode with a friend of mine who has a new phazer and we were both just ear to ear grins after stepping off of the nytro. It does have some minor issues like the wet boot on the left side and you definitely have to play around to get the suspension to your liking.
On the up side of things, it looks cool, sounds cool, seems to get pretty decent gas mileage, has a ton of power in the twisty stuff and will still probably run pretty good against your buddies sleds. Mind you, this is not a lake racer out of the crate but it sure is a blast to ride.
I mean who cares if you are a little tired or a cold if you can't stop smiling when you are riding or when you put it away for the night.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have some limited seat time on a Apex RTX last year. The biggest gripe I had about the Apex's was the engine breaking, damn near comes to a stop when you let off the gas. These new Nytro's have as close as a feel to the 2-stroke when letting off the gas. I rode a F7 sno pro before the Nytro, and honestly, the sleds feel the same when letting off the gas. As for the fuel milage, it's right on par with the Ski Doo 600 sdi engines. I've been between 16-17 mpg, depending on how I ride that day. If the fuel range has you wondering, there are some aftermarket tanks that are available. You do have to work on getting the suspensions dialed in. But thats the beauty of the Nytro, you can change to your likings. This sled weighs 543 lbs as per Snowgoer mag. I think the Apex ia around 603 lbs, guess you can notice the differance. Oh yeah, this sled is a rocket to 90 mph :yes:

·
Vendor
17,622 Posts
I have some limited seat time on a Apex RTX last year. The biggest gripe I had about the Apex's was the engine breaking, damn near comes to a stop when you let off the gas. These new Nytro's have as close as a feel to the 2-stroke when letting off the gas. I rode a F7 sno pro before the Nytro, and honestly, the sleds feel the same when letting off the gas. As for the fuel milage, it's right on par with the Ski Doo 600 sdi engines. I've been between 16-17 mpg, depending on how I ride that day. If the fuel range has you wondering, there are some aftermarket tanks that are available. You do have to work on getting the suspensions dialed in. But thats the beauty of the Nytro, you can change to your likings. This sled weighs 543 lbs as per Snowgoer mag. I think the Apex ia around 603 lbs, guess you can notice the differance. Oh yeah, this sled is a rocket to 90 mph :yes:[/b]
Power is just stupid.....bordering on addictive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't know alot about the Nytro, but do like the looks. I guess my concern would be with the 80 mile range to a tank. Sometimes can be a problem with getting gas around where we ride.
Whats with the left foot being Wet? Whats that all about?

·
Registered
671 Posts
we had our nytro till we had 105 miles on the tank and we put 6.8 gal. in it to fill it up. so we figure about 115 miles absolute max. we cant understand what all the wet foot stuff is about. are some of you riding with your tennies on??? lol

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
No wet feet on mine.
Ride is great. Power is awesome. Much lighter and quieter than the Apex. It is a little cold on the head.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The biggest thing I noticed is the lack of top end. One thing I loved on my Apex. Some gearing and cluthching should fix that. You shoud really be able to get 100+miles a tank once the sled is broke in depending on conditions.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I agree, my Nytro is getting 16 mpg everytime I go out. You figure that out. 16 mpg x 7.5 gallon tank = 120 miles per tank. Of course thats +/- a few miles.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I get under 13 with mine, but that is with a 136x1.5 ripsaw. Luv the sled, had an attak gt and once I rode the nytro I sold it. I ride ditches here in iowa, some are smooth and some are rough as hell, the nyto works much better in the rough. Now if you are stricktly a groomed trail rider the attak/apex is tuff to beat in terms of ride qualitly, it will handle the stutters better and have a higher top end and probably better gas mileage. The nytro was developed on the snoxross track, that should give you an idea about what itwas designed to do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input.
I just got my Snow Tech Mag in the mail today. In the 2009 speculation they are saying Yamaha may come out with a 136" Nytro.
That may be the way to go. Better ride for me. Have to see what comes our way this March.
You thinkthey can stuff an apex motor in the Nytro? Now that would be awsome. I will always love that motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts