Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From everything i have read about this it seems everyone says to gear down to the 23 tooth top gear from a 24 gear because the apex cant pull the 24.
My question is has anyone had their apex able to pull the 24 gear. Is anyone happy with this 24 gear. all i hear is that it should be changed to 23 but im still speculative.

Ive hit 116mph on ice with mine with the 24, im a light rider (165 lbs) and i plan on making some small mods like opening up the airbox and putting an exhaust and fuel accelerator on it. would these mods better suit the stock 24 tooth gear or are they still not enough to pull it. Im guessing a turbo or supercharger would be plenty to pull it and would probably need completely different gearing all together right?

im changing my track right now and so now is the time for me to decide while the chaincase is apart. How much does the 23 gear cost anyway and from what Ive read no new chain is required to go to the 23, right? (but you do need a new chain to go from 22 up to 23 on the 07 rtx's).

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I'm not mistaking you have a 23 gear on the RTX (could be wrong). I looked into putting a 23 on but after some discussion I didn't do it because you really should cut your clutch. If you go to ulmerracing.com, they have a chart listed undering gearing giving you the various gearing/chain lengths as well a pricing. You may also want to check out TY website. There's a lot of good info. there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks CABO i will check out TY. So your saying that the 24 is working well for you with the cut clutch. what kind of gain did you see with it (mph, rpm).dont want to highjack my own post here haha but you think the 24 is better with the cut clutch than the 23. What did that cost you and did you have to do anything else to accommodate the cut clutch?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have left my stock gearing in for now. I do have a 25 top gear to put in but am waiting to get some other stuff put on. Others have had good luck pulling the larger gear but other mods. have been done. I have a Ulmer stage II clutch kit in it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The original Apex RTX (2006) came with a 24 top gear just like the Er and GT. Only the 2007 & 2008 RTX have a 22 top gear.

As to your dilema - it's a no brainer. The 23 gear works much better over-all than the 24. Not only is it quicker, but in many conditions it's also faster because the engine pulls the belt higher in the primary with the 23. The only place the 24 is faster is on glare ice. The gear is around $30 and you can reuse the same chain. Go to TY and you will see all the happy users.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would the belt ride higher in the primary with the 23, is that not a function of engine rpm/syntrificul force??? In which case im already overreving at 10800 to 11000 rpm and thus the belt should be as high as it will go

I just think that droping down to the 23 also drops your potential top speed, say from 125mph to 120mph. I plan on making some modifications that i think, based on the way my machine runs now(116mph with poor idlers into the wind in perfect conditions), should allow me to creep over 120 on a perfect day and i dont want my gearing holding me back. I think im sticking with the 24 for now, ill do my mods, then see how a 23 works to compare the two.

I guess its a decision between QUICKER everyday or FASTER on the good days. For now i prefer faster.
Thanks for all the advice ill let you all know after i compare the two later in the season.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I put the 23 in my 07GT and it is quicker. I don't think there is any issue pulling the 24, but I do like the increase in mid range pull with the 23. I had my 23 tooth gear pull 114 on a plowed hard packed road yesterday.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Why would the belt ride higher in the primary with the 23, is that not a function of engine rpm/syntrificul force??? In which case im already overreving at 10800 to 11000 rpm and thus the belt should be as high as it will go

I just think that droping down to the 23 also drops your potential top speed, say from 125mph to 120mph. I plan on making some modifications that i think, based on the way my machine runs now(116mph with poor idlers into the wind in perfect conditions), should allow me to creep over 120 on a perfect day and i dont want my gearing holding me back. I think im sticking with the 24 for now, ill do my mods, then see how a 23 works to compare the two.

I guess its a decision between QUICKER everyday or FASTER on the good days. For now i prefer faster.
Thanks for all the advice ill let you all know after i compare the two later in the season.[/b]
Apexkid, go to TY, lots of testing done on the 23. Nothing has been left out. Yes, It's faster and quicker unless your 170+hpGood luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
From everything i have read about this it seems everyone says to gear down to the 23 tooth top gear from a 24 gear because the apex cant pull the 24.
My question is has anyone had their apex able to pull the 24 gear. Is anyone happy with this 24 gear. all i hear is that it should be changed to 23 but im still speculative.

Ive hit 116mph on ice with mine with the 24, im a light rider (165 lbs) and i plan on making some small mods like opening up the airbox and putting an exhaust and fuel accelerator on it. would these mods better suit the stock 24 tooth gear or are they still not enough to pull it. Im guessing a turbo or supercharger would be plenty to pull it and would probably need completely different gearing all together right?

im changing my track right now and so now is the time for me to decide while the chaincase is apart. How much does the 23 gear cost anyway and from what Ive read no new chain is required to go to the 23, right? (but you do need a new chain to go from 22 up to 23 on the 07 rtx's).[/b]
I am leaving my gearing alone. This thing is stupid fast already. I have no complaints about the way this thing pulls at any RPM or speed. If I can get the suspension dialed in completely I will be quite content with the sled as is. I guess if you are really into racing on the lake you could gear or clutch the sled and get another MPH or 2 out of a different configuration. My philosophy is that if it ain't broken don't fix it. The Apex sled it an awesome sled whether you ride it stock out of the box or modify it.

Brad

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I am leaving my gearing alone. This thing is stupid fast already. I have no complaints about the way this thing pulls at any RPM or speed. If I can get the suspension dialed in completely I will be quite content with the sled as is. I guess if you are really into racing on the lake you could gear or clutch the sled and get another MPH or 2 out of a different configuration. My philosophy is that if it ain't broken don't fix it. The Apex sled it an awesome sled whether you ride it stock out of the box or modify it.

Brad[/b]
Come on Brad! We don't buy sleds to leave them stock. LOL

·
Registered
114 Posts
Come on Brad! We don't buy sleds to leave them stock. LOL[/b]
F-7 Dude, I agree you need to have a little fun. I modified mine slightly with the new skis, swaybar, and windshield. These mods were huge for the kind of riding I do. I ride my sled primarily on the trail and to spend a huge amount of money to gain a few MPH would be pointless in my case. I understand some guys are into radar runs and lake racing and in those cases I can see the performance mods. These sleds are great sled to tweak. The 2-stroke guys are missing out on all the fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well fellow Yamasledheads, had my first ride on my first new-first yamaha apex GT yesterday up in cloyne banccoft area . and all i can say is WOW WOW WOW, love the ride suspension power is awsome But!!!!!!!!!!
the SSSSSSSSSSSSSKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS dart like a crazed housewife at a midnight maddness sale! U guys in HERE? whats the options? do the dual carbide runners cure it or do i need to go rob a pair of precision skis of an mxz in a parking lot somewhere? I mostly trail ride but dont mind hanging it out on a lake with the boys. do the air box modes give u that much of an increase, can u do the modes yourself to the stock cover? I dodnt like getting beat either! One other question , seems like some excesive drag on the track, but only have put 190 km on so far, are they tight right out of the box? Who is TY ? Boy did i ever notice the 2 stroke smoke yesterday! :stirthepot: :beatingdeadhorse: :buttrock: :pee:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hey Hairball,

throw some 5.7 pilots on that thing. I used the 6 inch shaper in the center, one hole up on strap, 55 psi in floats, transfer 1/4 and rocks on trails. 13mm sway bar on back order.
The air box mod gains about 3 mph on a hard lake run, is it worth it? you make that call. For trails, you will never see the difference. Don't beleive everything you hear especially from the guys selling the air box mods. TY is Totally Yamaha, great site with tons of info. Hope I helped.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well fellow Yamasledheads, had my first ride on my first new-first yamaha apex GT yesterday up in cloyne banccoft area . and all i can say is WOW WOW WOW, love the ride suspension power is awsome But!!!!!!!!!!
the SSSSSSSSSSSSSKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS dart like a crazed housewife at a midnight maddness sale! U guys in HERE? whats the options? do the dual carbide runners cure it or do i need to go rob a pair of precision skis of an mxz in a parking lot somewhere? I mostly trail ride but dont mind hanging it out on a lake with the boys. do the air box modes give u that much of an increase, can u do the modes yourself to the stock cover? I dodnt like getting beat either! One other question , seems like some excesive drag on the track, but only have put 190 km on so far, are they tight right out of the box? Who is TY ? Boy did i ever notice the 2 stroke smoke yesterday! :stirthepot: :beatingdeadhorse: :buttrock: :pee:[/b]
The popular aftermarket skis have been Simmons Gen II, Slydogs, and the SkiDoo Pilot's. I ride out west occasionally, so I went with Slydog Powderhounds (7 inches wide). Slydog has some cool graphics options, if you're into that sort of thing. The rubber grommet that is included with them is already designed so the skis don't need to be shimmed, and darting is eliminated.

·
Registered
359 Posts
put the 23 tooth in.

the belt does seem to go higher in the primary.

mine is better mid range and top end.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The popular aftermarket skis have been Simmons Gen II, Slydogs, and the SkiDoo Pilot's. I ride out west occasionally, so I went with Slydog Powderhounds (7 inches wide). Slydog has some cool graphics options, if you're into that sort of thing. The rubber grommet that is included with them is already designed so the skis don't need to be shimmed, and darting is eliminated.

[/b]
I second the Slydog Powderhounds. I put them on my 07 Apex GT and they make the sled ride totally different then the stock skis. The sled feels lighter and almost completely eliminate the darting without doing anything but bolting them on. They also handle very well on the trails. I am sure other companies also make good skis but I can tell you first hand that the Slydogs are worth the money. If you are interested you can purchase them from www.kjmotorsports.com. Kyle will get you fixed up with what you need.

Good Luck,

Brad

·
Registered
314 Posts
Screw the gears I want to hear more about ski's and housewives at midnight madnesses. :nudie: :hyper: :pointlaugh: :drool: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

·
Registered
2020 ThunderCat, 2017 ZR 6000 RS
1,320 Posts
This is a no-brainer... It has been tested from almost every company that has designed a clutch kit for the Apex... IT CAN'T PULL THE 24 GEAR. With the 24 gear, it's geared to do a 125-130mph. A stock Apex will never pull it. Just changed it out and enjoy the gain. It's not a huge gain, but it does work. With the 23 gear you will gain more top end and mid range, hense allowing for more use of the primary.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts