Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yes, i have seen a 10mph increase on topend with my lid. Best with stock lid was 114mph and best with modded lid is 124mph. The lower air box mod will also gain you acouple ponies.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It would take 40 hp to get 10 mph. Nice gain from a few holes cut in the airbox.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Actually it would only take 21hp to achieve a 10mph increase on an 850 pound vehicle. I have tested this lid for 2 years now and the best i have seen with a stock lid is 114mph and the best i have seen with the modded lid is 124mph. Every sled is different and every outcome probaly would be different. Lots of variables could predict the overall gain in performance. Head wind, tail wind, drag, suspension set-up, driver weight, traction...ect.

I don't guarentee a 10mph increase but on average a 4-7mpg gain is generally gained on a stock sled with any ram air kit.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Actually it would only take 21hp to achieve a 10mph increase on an 850 pound vehicle. I have tested this lid for 2 years now and the best i have seen with a stock lid is 114mph and the best i have seen with the modded lid is 124mph. Every sled is different and every outcome probaly would be different. Lots of variables could predict the overall gain in performance. Head wind, tail wind, drag, suspension set-up, driver weight, traction...ect.

I don't guarentee a 10mph increase but on average a 4-7mpg gain is generally gained on a stock sled with any ram air kit.[/b]
without a wideband o2 you do not even know where your at. I have the modded bottom and a ram air lid and I may see 3 mph at best. I take it your the guy selling the modded air lids on e-bay?

Good info on this is at Totally Yamaha, Rockerdan did testing on video to see real world gains!!!!!!!!!! Not big promises.
I'm not trying to rain on a parade but 124mph? well have NEVER seen on any apex, ever.

p.s. modded box, cut clutches, dayco belt, 96 1.45s, poo wheels and 115mph on dream meter last weekend with soft snow. Real world numbers.

·
Registered
2020 ThunderCat, 2017 ZR 6000 RS
1,320 Posts
RockerDan's was a home made lid..... So, it was not a true FIXPOWERSPORTS lid/fix. His testing was only in 1500-2000ft. Need a good 3000ft to see a good top end number. Plus, you might see a 4-7 mph in a good condition and 2-3 in a crappy condition.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm not here to bash on anyone. I just like to tell it straight up. I did my own ram air, not any different from fix or dan. I mean you open up the top and use prefilter material, not to hard to do. I also added some 1" bullseyes and 1" holes drilled in the bottom of my box. Now I did this mod, one step at a time to see the results. Were there any? sure. About 3mph on topend. Not a great horsepower maker, just a small gain. Was it worth it? sure, I did myself, cost about $35.00 total to do. About a $100.00 gain. LOL

Now to get the full benefit, I'm adding the power commander with ignition module and wideband 02, to tune to exact numbers. Will there be a gain? sure there will. I will post real world results for the $1000.00 I spent.

Reason I seem sarcastic is all the big claims. If I added all the 2 or 3 hp claims when I had my F-cat? I must have had 200hp. LOL

Like I stated earlier, I have a 06 rtx, 96 1.45 pic's, cut clutch, sticky belt, air box modded, with rumble pack exhaust and not seeing 115mph on gps. Thats the real world. When my mods are all done, including a 23t gear on order, I hope to see real world 118mph? that will be on radar or gps. Not on a dream meter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I dont want to burst anyones bubble but 118 on gps is a tough goal with only those mods, or a 3 mile run maybe, hopefully I can find you in townsend as I have a rtx and I dont think its reachable unless on glare ice with chissels

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I dont want to burst anyones bubble but 118 on gps is a tough goal with only those mods, or a 3 mile run maybe, hopefully I can find you in townsend as I have a rtx and I dont think its reachable unless on glare ice with chissels[/b]
Come on up apron800, Thats the number I'm trying to hit and yes it will take some room on ice. LOL But it's within my reach. Pm me when you come up, always nice to meet new riders.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
F7-Dude, you went for the gusto didn't you... Wide Band too.... I just took Ulmers map and put it in. 23 top gear is a must. But, I think you need to add 48 more pics. 96 won't cut it. You need 144 up the center, minimal. What are you running for clutching.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
F7-Dude, you went for the gusto didn't you... Wide Band too.... I just took Ulmers map and put it in. 23 top gear is a must. But, I think you need to add 48 more pics. 96 won't cut it. You need 144 up the center, minimal. What are you running for clutching.[/b]
Guess I did.lol I just want to see how much I can get. I put in the 1.45s with tall nuts, rolling start only.hahaha stock clutching is spot on right now. 10,800 and pulls like hell. I'll have to play with it when my boxes come, but when I piped and air box modded, my rpm went to 10,800 and it is just awesome. 87gtnos told me to go to 6-1 with the gear. I'll have some playing to do. LOL But I'm doing one thing at a time, slowly to see where I 'am.hahahaa Been lost before, when I did everything at once to my F-cat. what a pain in the ass that was. I was wondering if I could pul the 24 gear now. I got the 23 and have not put it in yet. But I'll play with the box and clutching first. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.LOL I'll let you know Zoey, if I screw it up.haha

p.s I have 15 studs pulled thru now so I'm limping my track until it slaps me in the back of the head.lol

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You are going to feel your track ratchet once you put the boxes on. Not in a million years will it pull the 24 top gear. Put the 23 in. Also, you need to be 11,000 on the top end in order to feel all the power. Allen raises the timing around 10,700-11,000 and add mores fuel to get that peak hp, that it produces that the boxes produce. The stock clutching is OK, but it lacks at about 80mph and up. With the proper clutch kit and traction, ie. Prolines or Ulmers the stock clutching won't hold a candle to it. I did some testing against my buds F7 when my sled was stock and he could pull me mid range until top end with me having my stock clutching and stock gear. Granted he was clutched with 2 degree timing key, Fuel preasure box to lean down the EFI (whatever they call that little pressure guage thingy), plus a 1" track with 1.175" woody's, so he had more penetration then my 1.325 at the time. Once I put the Proline kit and the 23 gear in, I would pull him out of the hole by 1 sled length and then start pulling hard around 70-80mph and just kept walking away. It was not even funny. Yes, I had tried a few different clutching setups and stock has nothing midrange with the right traction. You don't need anything crazy, just a little more than 96, but you do have the right penetration of 1.450, so you are right in that area. Let me know how you make out.....

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
You are going to feel your track ratchet once you put the boxes on. Not in a million years will it pull the 24 top gear. Put the 23 in. Also, you need to be 11,000 on the top end in order to feel all the power. Allen raises the timing around 10,700-11,000 and add mores fuel to get that peak hp, that it produces that the boxes produce. The stock clutching is OK, but it lacks at about 80mph and up. With the proper clutch kit and traction, ie. Prolines or Ulmers the stock clutching won't hold a candle to it. I did some testing against my buds F7 when my sled was stock and he could pull me mid range until top end with me having my stock clutching and stock gear. Granted he was clutched with 2 degree timing key, Fuel preasure box to lean down the EFI (whatever they call that little pressure guage thingy), plus a 1" track with 1.175" woody's, so he had more penetration then my 1.325 at the time. Once I put the Proline kit and the 23 gear in, I would pull him out of the hole by 1 sled length and then start pulling hard around 70-80mph and just kept walking away. It was not even funny. Yes, I had tried a few different clutching setups and stock has nothing midrange with the right traction. You don't need anything crazy, just a little more than 96, but you do have the right penetration of 1.450, so you are right in that area. Let me know how you make out.....[/b]
Will do Zoey, did think I could pull the 24, but I have a 23 so it's all good.LOL Are you piped Zoey? it really woke up my sled. Real world raced my buds 800 doo, and just smokes him start to finish with the pipe. 1200 ft. about 10 sled lengths or more. He's clutched, 144 pic's, cutney head, and bikeman pipe. I was impressed, but maybe I'm easy to impress? LOL talk to you later man

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
more fuel and more air will be next on my list....recently installed a dalton clutch setup and she rocks now 10,800 from any speed...not sure about top end R.P.M.s yet....

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Will do Zoey, did think I could pull the 24, but I have a 23 so it's all good.LOL Are you piped Zoey? it really woke up my sled. Real world raced my buds 800 doo, and just smokes him start to finish with the pipe. 1200 ft. about 10 sled lengths or more. He's clutched, 144 pic's, cutney head, and bikeman pipe. I was impressed, but maybe I'm easy to impress? LOL talk to you later man[/b]
No Pipe, Trying to nogiate a used Excell right now.... We'll see.... It's the last ingredient that I need..... Ulmer says it's the finishing touch.... If I don't sell it, then I will do it or I will scrap all the mods and go Turbo.... That 800.... Was it an 800R-XP?

·
Registered
671 Posts
10,800-11,000 rpm is too much!! bring them back down where they belong and they pull harder 10,300-10,400 rpm

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would have to agree on that also, 10800 too much, but I havent seen anymore than 10600 out of mine clutched so I cant really say at this point, just seems strongest at 10400 or so. rev limiter anyone?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts