Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 06 RTX has now made it to 3000 miles. Anything special I should look for or maintanance I should be doing to it (aside from general stuff)?

Well, I'll thank everyone for the responces they'll hopefully give me, I'm going back out riding for another couple hours!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
So my 06 RTX has now made it to 3000 miles. Anything special I should look for or maintanance I should be doing to it (aside from general stuff)?

Well, I'll thank everyone for the responces they'll hopefully give me, I'm going back out riding for another couple hours![/b]
AT 2400 MILES! i did a oil and filter change. i replaced the driveshaft and jackshaft bearing as i had the chaincase apart to put a 1 1/2 intense track on and replaced the chaincase fluid with synthetic fluid. bearings were almost dry. you can just clean and repack the existing ones if they are not notchy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Your going to regret asking this question.

Anything and everthing that can possiby wear out needs to be changed. HA HA

No really, but the most important things would be the driveshaft and jackshaft bearings.
The front and rear susp. bushings, especially the ones in the front bulkhead, they'll be toast.
The most important PM I can think of and I am living through right now is to change the exhaust donuts between the headers and the Y-pipes.
If you hear an exhaust leak it's to late you've toasted at least on the the Y-pipes, there $275.00 a piece and you have to tear the hole sled apart from the motor back.
If you change before they're toast the job still sucks but at least your not waiting for parts/warranty/ whatever.
CHANGE THE GASKETS I can not stress how important it is to do this.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes, the bearing just went on my driveshaft at about 2500 miles and I had to be towed out of the woods. I really need to do more preventive maintenance on the sled, I get spoiled by turning the key and taking off. I have had my oil and filter changed twice and it has been greased but that is about it, I am thinking about adding the extended warranty since the 1 year has run out.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
GotApexRTX, how many miles on the sled when the exhaust donut-gaskets needed to be replaced?

·
Registered
203 Posts
GotApexRTX, how many miles on the sled when the exhaust donut-gaskets needed to be replaced?[/b]
Now after what I'm going through I would do it every spring. It's not the cost but the downtime and the possibility of damaging expensive parts ($600.00+ total parts only). $40.00 in exhaust donuts every spring when you have time to work on it and there is no rush isn't too bad. My mileage is 4500 on the sled I would change at 2000 mile intervals. Just much better safe than sorry on this one. This applys to all of the Yamaha four strokes, including Phazer's, FX Nytro's as they use the same donuts on all. I guess to answer your question it's 2000 miles. Just happens to be about one season for me. If you have more than 2000 miles on a Yamaha four stroke your best bet is to order the parts and change them out.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have 14,000 miles on my 06 Apex GT and have had two issues with the exhaust. At 6,000 miles the left hand exhaust pipe clamp, donut and or pipe loosened and wore/broke the flange on the pipe. At this time (under warranty) Yamaha replaced the 4 gaskets, donuts and the pipe but didn't replace the clamps which I suspected were the real problem. At 12,000 miles the other side started making noise (both times were when I was on a trip 500 miles from nowhere), by the time I got back the other side had worn the pipe flange from the same thing (vibration). This time they replaced the pipe, all four gaskets, donuts, and clamps. I suspect very soon they will be replacing the left hand pipe again. I ride with 2 other sleds that are the same thing and they have had the same problems with the exhaust at similar mileage. 1 has 6,000 and the other a little more.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have 14,000 miles on my 06 Apex GT and have had two issues with the exhaust. At 6,000 miles the left hand exhaust pipe clamp, donut and or pipe loosened and wore/broke the flange on the pipe. At this time (under warranty) Yamaha replaced the 4 gaskets, donuts and the pipe but didn't replace the clamps which I suspected were the real problem. At 12,000 miles the other side started making noise (both times were when I was on a trip 500 miles from nowhere), by the time I got back the other side had worn the pipe flange from the same thing (vibration). This time they replaced the pipe, all four gaskets, donuts, and clamps. I suspect very soon they will be replacing the left hand pipe again. I ride with 2 other sleds that are the same thing and they have had the same problems with the exhaust at similar mileage. 1 has 6,000 and the other a little more.[/b]
If I was to purchase an 07-08 apex? do you think I should buy the extended warranty?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Extended Warranty? If you plan on keeping it for more than one year I would buy it, good to have just in case, and is a plus when selling.

You can buy the warranty from any Yamaha dealer , and usually some on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Snow...ksid=p1638.m118

Seems the warranty would pay for itself if you keep it long enough to have the exhaust gaskets (and pipes) replaced.[/b]
I had the same issue with the exhaust and the extended warranty does not cover any exhaust part. It pissed me of but it is clearly stated in the small print that any part related to the exhaust system is not covered.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had the same issue with the exhaust and the extended warranty does not cover any exhaust part. It pissed me of but it is clearly stated in the small print that any part related to the exhaust system is not covered.[/b]
Thanks for that info, I was considering the ext. warranty for that very reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts