Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. One last chance for me next week so was looking at Houlton or Presque isle. Friend of mine told me yesterday those areas might be no good after this week. Would be willing to go to caribou but not sure if that's worth the 8 hour drive if what he is saying is correct. Looking for any input on the best guarantee for next week or more worth while to go maybe to say BAS ST Laurent. (We lose one rider in the group to no passport if we do that.) So any input from boots on the ground would be very appreciated. Was really looking forward to my first actual trip to the county but not sure if it will still be rideable next week. Group will be 5 deep so any lodging input would be great too. Thanks again and hope everyone had a great season even though things got rough this year!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Id do BSL based on pics shared from this week from there. Gas stations and road crossings wont be pretty but the trails themselves look great still.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
PI is 20 mins by car from Caribou, so conditions would be very similar. I would expect conditions to be decent for a couple of more weeks...looks like plenty of snow for now

https://www.cariboucabins.net/web-cam.html
Hahahaha, just so you know Keiths webcam at Caribou Cabins has not changed it's image in almost 2 years lololol I looked at that same picture in August! Of 2018!!

Here is a better one, in Ft. Kent: Live Web Camera - Fort Kent Outdoor Center

If you just go to Ft. Kent you will have the best chance. You are driving that far, what's another hour in the truck.

I rode Millinocket last weekend and it was awesome. Even in town. No problem leaving from the Baxter, groomed Saturday night even the pole line. I would imagine that they would be fine for another week easy no matter what weather happens. And on Friday they are calling for a wet mix but then some cold weather. If they can pull the groomer after the wet weather it will be fine again.

I am going to Stockholm next week, not worried in the least, just make sure you don't hit any plowed road areas and you should be fine!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PI is 20 mins by car from Caribou, so conditions would be very similar. I would expect conditions to be decent for a couple of more weeks...looks like plenty of snow for now

https://www.cariboucabins.net/web-cam.html
Hahahaha, just so you know Keiths webcam at Caribou Cabins has not changed it's image in almost 2 years lololol I looked at that same picture in August! Of 2018!!

If you just go to Ft. Kent you will have the best chance. You are driving that far, what's another hour in the truck.

I rode Millinocket last weekend and it was awesome. Even in town. No problem leaving from the Baxter, groomed Saturday night even the pole line. I would imagine that they would be fine for another week easy no matter what weather happens. And on Friday they are calling for a wet mix but then some cold weather. If they can pull the groomer after the wet weather it will be fine again.

I am going to Stockholm next week, not worried in the least, just make sure you don't hit any plowed road areas and you should be fine!!
thanks fellas. I was in millinocket myself last weekend on Saturday and couldn't believe how good it was. Did 150 miles no sweat bluebird day. Fort kent it is next week!! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Lol, fair enough..I did a quick search and there it was....we’re in Caribou next weekend, not worried at all about snow cover

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am hearing from trusted sources that Presque Isle and up are good to go, little to no rain like others got. Looking to do a trip next weekend myself, one last hurrah for me

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I'll try and log in and update when I arrive in Stockholm on Monday. But I have zero worries about it. Gonna be fine!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try and log in and update when I arrive in Stockholm on Monday. But I have zero worries about it. Gonna be fine!
thanks again. My brother actually just called fort kent dealer and spoke to an employee who was quoted saying "snow is up to our tits.. come on up!" Getting pumped up now!!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Sitting in Fort Kent right now at the Northern Door Inn. Have ridden just short of 1,000 miles in the last six days with a third or so of those up towards Rivier Du Loup.....Tons of snow, we have only been south as far as Caribou, but no worries about snow cover anywhere.....Allagash, Eagle Lake, St Agatha, Van Buren, Caribou, Grand Isle, Madawaska etc......All lots of snow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sitting in Fort Kent right now at the Northern Door Inn. Have ridden just short of 1,000 miles in the last six days with a third or so of those up towards Rivier Du Loup.....Tons of snow, we have only been south as far as Caribou, but no worries about snow cover anywhere.....Allagash, Eagle Lake, St Agatha, Van Buren, Caribou, Grand Isle, Madawaska etc......All lots of snow.
good feedback thank you, planning a caribou trip next weekend to end out the season for me

·
Registered
386 Posts
thanks fellas. I was in millinocket myself last weekend on Saturday and couldn't believe how good it was. Did 150 miles no sweat bluebird day. Fort kent it is next week!! Thank you very much!
I 95 north to Smyrna Mills, then rt 212 over to Knowles Corner, then north on #11 to Fort Kent. About the same amount of time going to Caribou.

Trackdown Lodge https://www.trackdownkennelslodge.com/

Great food and lodging right on the trail.. Ride sleds north and west and you'll have all the snow a person would want / need .. Happy trails and ya'll come back now ya hear :lol:

Reactions: mattyw

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys just want to thank everyone again for all the input. Just found a busted rear shock on my assault.. haha no big deal. Still 7 days till we pull out. Really looking forward to getting up in the county and salvage what's left of for me a pretty rough season. I only get so many limited opportunities to go up and the house isn't always in the most ideal snow location for optimal riding. So next Thursday off to fort kent and hopefully a few hundred miles over a couple days and expand our knowledge of the riding areas the state has to offer. Thanks again to all who posted in response because without the information you guys provided we probably were calling it a year!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just got home from riding four days up in the Houlton area. Plenty of snow up there. Rode to Oxbow, shin pond, Millinocket, Joe Mary system, Medway, even as far south as Lee. Snow everywhere and the trails are great. There are bare spots occasionally, and muddy road crossings the further south you go. But it was great riding.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Forecast for the area has improved greatly! Snow today turns to a mix for a short time, then ends as snow. Next week they had forecast rain for Tuesday, now all snow. Should be fine all next week and into the weekend up there for sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts