Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Milwaukee 2767-20, 18 volt high torque 1/2” drive impact wrench. The tool is a beast, rated at 1000 foot lbs of tightening force. With 1400 foot lbs of nut busting torque.

Does anyone frequently use the rated torque sticks on their impact drivers? I’d like to use them on wheel lugs to get them close, then finish to specs with a hand torque wrench

Thanks Mark

·
Administrator
24,553 Posts
I’ve used them for years with good success. If you use them heavily (everyday like I did) they will fall off on their torque limits. Easy to verify with a torque wrench though.

Now that I am in an engineering environment, it’s calibrated torque wrenches for everything, only. Including lug nuts.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Just picked up a Milwaukee 2767-20, 18 volt high torque 1/2” drive impact wrench. The tool is a beast, rated at 1000 foot lbs of tightening force. With 1400 foot lbs of nut busting torque.

Does anyone frequently use the rated torque sticks on their impact drivers? I’d like to use them on wheel lugs to get them close, then finish to specs with a hand torque wrench

Thanks Mark
You will like that impact. I have a buddy that is a wrench at a large Ag shop and he said most of the mechanics are getting rid of their Air guns for the Milwaukee fuels.

·
Premium Member
33,214 Posts
Had torque sticks issued to us years ago, probably used them twice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I've had an 18v dewalt for about a year. Its ok, but barely enough balls to take the lug nuts off my truck wheels.
The new Milwaukee stuff is nuts! There's no comapring it to anything from a few years ago. I've got one, it'll snap 5/8" bolts with ease. You need to watch what you're doing with it. Or you'll make more work for yourself....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,553 Posts
You will like that impact. I have a buddy that is a wrench at a large Ag shop and he said most of the mechanics are getting rid of their Air guns for the Milwaukee fuels.

I still have 1/2” and 3/8” impacts in my tool box along with my 3/8” air ratchet. I hate it when I have to use them though. I’d rather use my electric/cordless stuff. I have half Milwaukee and half Makita. Been using Makita for years so it’s hard to go elsewhere but I have Milwaukee a try for their 1/4” electric ratchet and 12 volt driver. I use them both EXTENSIVELY. The ratchet is hard on batteries though, I will say that.

·
Premium Member
33,214 Posts
I still have 1/2” and 3/8” impacts in my tool box along with my 3/8” air ratchet. I hate it when I have to use them though. I’d rather use my electric/cordless stuff. I have half Milwaukee and half Makita. Been using Makita for years so it’s hard to go elsewhere but I have Milwaukee a try for their 1/4” electric ratchet and 12 volt driver. I use them both EXTENSIVELY. The ratchet is hard on batteries though, I will say that.
We're pretty much converted to all cordless now with the exception of the blow gun.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Makita has some nice stuff too, as does Dewalt. I know old guys that still use cordless drills and hex impacts from Makita from the 80's! things were made in Japan then and are indestructible. Of course telling old tradesmen that their tools are outdated is like talking to a wall.

·
Administrator
24,553 Posts
We're pretty much converted to all cordless now with the exception of the blow gun.

For as little as I use my 1/2” gun anymore, I’m not spending the big money on a cordless.

Hell, I even bought one of those $140 Harbor Freight Thunder whatever 1/2” air impacts for at home, fuckin’ thing has more nuts than most any other air 1/2” impact out there.

Plus, put together 2-3 good, powerful cordless tools and you almost have enough money to buy a fairly decent air compressor to run the air tools I already have, at home anyway.

·
Super Moderator
17,273 Posts
I have an electric 1/2 inch drive . Thing is insane and will break your wrist . But I mainly use my cordless Milwaukee stuff for everything. I do have a snap on air ratchet which is great . Compressor doesn't get used much aside from blowing out fans,filling tires or using the air ratchet. Shame cause I figured I'd use all air tools
. But nope . My De walt stuff hasnt got the jam as my Milwaukee stuff so they got downgraded to house hold use lol

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Being in the Tool biz, I deal with this stuff all day-every day. The Milwaukee Fuel (brushless) stuff is top notch stuff. The new 1/2" impact is the standard for cordless impacts, bar none, but it is a bit more bulkier. I like the SnapOn CT8850 impact- good 2yr warr on tool and batteries- very good power. Fast turnaround time for service if needed as it is a Snappy built and serviced product,,, BUT,, it doesn't have the snot of the Milwaukee,,,,,,, yet. snap

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
When I built my garage the builder asked me if I wanted airlines plumbed in the walls. I told him not to worry about it. Milwaukee stuff for me. It has been impressive how well it works. The 1/2 drive 18v is a bit heavy but damn its got torque. I have a new air impact that I haven't even taken out of the box yet.... STill got the compressor in the corner with a hose reel but only for blowing things off or airing up tires anymore.

·
Registered
39,618 Posts
Makita has some nice stuff too, as does Dewalt. I know old guys that still use cordless drills and hex impacts from Makita from the 80's! things were made in Japan then and are indestructible. Of course telling old tradesmen that their tools are outdated is like talking to a wall.
I still have makita 3/8'' 7 and 9 volt cordless drills i use all the time from back in the 80's. Except for buying new batteries which are getting harder to find, those drills are indestructible.

·
Administrator
2030 Arctic Cat 2500 - - 19-20 mileage-100,000
23,700 Posts
I still have makita 3/8'' 7 and 9 volt cordless drills i use all the time from back in the 80's. Except for buying new batteries which are getting harder to find, those drills are indestructible.

Try Batteries Plus, they can rebuild/refurbish your old battery packs....... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I thought about getting some of these too for wheels and other non crucial things. I have the Makita high torque one and thing is a monster. Afraid to overtorque stuff even on the low settings.

I'm waiting for Makita to come out with a 3/8 cordless impact that has 450 ft lbs to compete with the smaller Milwaukee mid torque.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts