Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a D&D single pipe on my ZR900 and so far I am not impressed. I havent paid for it yet and unless I figure out how to make it run better, I wont be either. I didnt get any instructions regarding jetting or clutching with the pipe and it is easier to get a hold of the President than it is to get the Roes Brothers on the phone. On D&Ds website it says that it makes its power at 7400-7500 rpms but every other pipe maker seems to make their power at a bit higher rpms.

Has anyone tried one of these pipes? What did you do in regards to clutching and jetting? I am running 460 mains, 74 gram weights, yellow/white primary, 57/53 helix and D&D black sec spring.

Thanks for any help!
Scott

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I would say too much weight.I don't think it would turn up enough RPM with that weight and the same finish angle on the helix.

·
Banned
5,933 Posts
its not making any power if you can`t pull that set up . i bet your stock pipe will pull 7300 with that setup

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sounds like you are rich. Sometimes it looks like you have too much weight in but it really is just to rich. I had a BMR pipe and found that the sled liked 410's with 74.5g weights, 48-60 helix and HEAVY springs in both the drive and driven. I tried jets from 470 to 400 witht eh temp at 25 and elevation at 1300. I have since taken the pipe off as I found that it took away to much off the line.

For my two cent, the only thing that pipes do is add to the confusion as to what jetting/clutching to run. For the amount of power that is added and the money that they charge you, not to mention asking GOD for help after you give them $$$$. It's not worth the effort. Dans

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Powerbreather and VF3s. I talked to the guys from Dons Speed in Alberta and they told me to go down to 440s and get it turning 7500-7600rpms.

They even admitted that the instructions that come with the pipe are way too fat.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a pipe from psi (single). It does make a difference. I received no instructions, no jetting requirements, no tech help. Fit and finish is a 8 on a scale of 10. Rpm is 77-78. Jetting is 460/470.

·
Banned
5,933 Posts
save your money and keep the stock pipe on and clutch it heavy. i put a speedwerx pipe on my 925 . it turned it ito a fuel sucking pig and made it slower i had shelf in and out still worse than my stock 800 pipe . i went so for down on my mains that i took 1 down. that took the being rich out of the picture. and i also had to keep lighting up on the fly weights. that right there tells you it is not making that good of power. with my stock pipe it pull 88 grams at 7500 . with the speedwerx i had to go down to 79 -80 grams . the pipe is peaky also. stock 900 is a good pipe clutch the sled right and it will fly.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
use the 74's an or/white spring and stick a green snopro spring in the sec.. 3rd or 4th hole...Will run much better..

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont care about the Speedwerx pipe. What about the D&D? I have been playing around and it is better now with the yellow white primary and gone back to the stock red/white sec spring with the 59/53 helix.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I ran a D+D single (dumped into the stock muffler) on my ZL8 for the last two years and it was a waste of money. I could literally switch back and forth between the two pipes in 5 minutes-just pull the springs. There was NO DIFFERENCE. Either on GPS, tach, or racing my XC8 (as a baseline). The only good thing about it was a small weight saving. D+D should be embarassed about the paint they put on these pipes to, it falls off in 2 weeks. I have had an SLP single on my ZR9 for 400 miles and it does make a difference. Easier to clutch than a Speedworx to, the powerband is wider. Get rid of that D+D if you still can. BTW SLP puts a beautiful ceramic coating on their pipes too!

Terry

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I HAVE A ZR900 WITH A SPEEDWERXS SINGLE AND I HAVE REACED STOCK, D&D,TWIN AND SINGLE,PSI TWINS, AND SLP AND I AM YET TO CLOSE TO ANYONE. D&D IS JUNK

·
Registered
7 Posts
you need 85 gram weights with a 52-42-40 helixi beileve or for trails
a 52-40. this is with out the pipe with not sure but it should still work
83 gram weights for trail is better.

·
Registered
262 Posts
my 03 900 has been ripping fast for the past 2 season's and i never changed anything since i first did the sled.ready!d&d breather(shelf and cone's out)vf-3,mbrp trail can,sno-tek torque arm and the biggest gain was a cpr clutch kit.STOCK PIPE.the sled goes right to 7250 and creep's to 7300 consistintly.what a beautiful sound and the pull is awesome.have not been this happy with a sled in year's.great fuel mileage and oil useage with 450 main's.weight's are 81g and 62/54.spring's are ????black.jeff hit a homerun with this set-up.he's the man i would put his kit in the 900 first then see what ya need..i really dont want to part with this sled but the 06 apex is calling me.first time in my life it look's like i'm gonna have two sled's at once...lol...cant let this 03 900 go!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Originally posted by ScottyR@Feb 10 2003, 10:14 PM
I just put a D&D single pipe on my ZR900 and so far I am not impressed.  I havent paid for it yet and unless I figure out how to make it run better, I wont be either.  I didnt get any instructions regarding jetting or clutching with the pipe and it is easier to get a hold of the President than it is to get the Roes Brothers on the phone.  On D&Ds website it says that it makes its power at 7400-7500 rpms but every other pipe maker seems to make their power at a bit higher rpms.

Has anyone tried one of these pipes?  What did you do in regards to clutching and jetting?  I am running 460 mains, 74 gram weights, yellow/white primary, 57/53 helix and D&D black sec spring.

Thanks for any help!
Scott
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38254
[/quote]

That pipe wants to run at 8200 not 7400. Whats the point of putting on a pipe if you are gonna run the same RPM as stock? Your clutching seems way off to me. You need to get your RPM up to 8200 and your sled will scream. Call D&D. :div20:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
there are two different versions of that pipe. one low rpm and one higher rpm. the higher rpm pipe is the monster single. if you have this one, you need to rev 8200 like thundrgreg said. if you have the lower rpm one, then it should be 7400.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts