Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Haven't seen one yet but heard it is a larger throat for the air box leading into the throttle bodies. this would be better than D&D bullseyes. why do you want to suck warm air form under the hood?

·
Registered
986 Posts
It is a tube like what in it now but is 4 " in dia. instead of the small opening we have now Should be very good I have one comming to try . I have the thunder product kit in one sled now ,Works great but this might be better . Not sure if you will have to put it back to stock when it gets real cold 10--20 below Might lean it down to far even with 92 oct only time will tell Reason I went with thunder product is it has sliding doors to close when
it is cold.Like the idea of using outside air like Speed Werx is doing

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
with a computer conrolled efi will more air even do anything? the ecu is calibrated for stock air box
were not dealing with a big block chevy here,
with carbs i can see where you could re-jet to compensate, but with the efi dont, know
thats why blackmagic can not get the twin pipes to work with efi

·
Registered
986 Posts
The computer is adjusted to to compensate for the amount of air allowed in on the 2 " opening. It does not know that it getting 2 times the amount of air it is programed for.. Thats why they want you to run 92 oct to help stop detonation

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
I am getting them in stock next week also. The computer will have the same A/F ratio at -10, 0 and 20 degrees..meaning...It will compensate the same, its the initial A/F ratio that is changed.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Out door Shop ,Thanks it makes more sense the way you said it byoffcr

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does that mean it has a mass airflow sensor to compensate for the increased airflow? I haven't looked at the part, but why wouldn't you just make the hole bigger? The neck is definitely bigger than 2", so you should be able to cut some material away, right?

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
No you have no way of enlarging the hole.. I believe it only adds to the way the air flows into the airbox. In turn helps create a better flow rate and a bit more power.. I don't think it should create any problems at all..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by morrisond@Dec 13 2002, 10:59 PM
Does that mean it has a mass airflow sensor to compensate for the increased airflow?
No. The only sensor on the airbox is the intake air temp sensor. Cat's fuel delivery is somewhat of a guesstimation and really isn't too sophisticated. A speed density system with a MAP sensor or a MAF system would be great along with an O2 sensor for feedback. Problem is the pluses caused by the engine would screw up a Mass airflow sensor and a MAP sensor wouldn't get a true vaccum reading.

But if Cat would change their induction system to 1 throttle body and a common intake plenum the possibility for more accurate and leaner fuel delivery, I think, would present itself. Designing an O2 sensor that can stand oil is the other problem. Adding these to the fuel delivery system would add more complicated and expensive electronics.

I'm looking at the SnoPro's airbox and maybe will order. Seeing if injector pulsewidth changes with that airbox in comparison to the original would be interesting. B)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by morrisond@Dec 14 2002, 12:21 PM
So changing the neck will make the motor run leaner. right?
Good question. I don't think it will. Others might disagree. Reason I believe it won't run leaner is it will only change the volume of air available. Added volume will increase volumetric efficiency at higher rpm, thus allowing the engine to make more hp. And all engines suffer as RPM increases.

If we were to compare the 2 airboxes and the Speedwerx's intake consistently provided colder fresh air then it might actually run richer. Richer because a colder intake temp requires more fuel. If the intake temp sensor seen a warmer temp it would subtract from the baseline injector pulsewidth from pre-programmed fuel map tables.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think it will or why does D&D sell caps to put on when it gets down to zero so vents are closed off

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by byoffcr@Dec 14 2002, 06:13 PM
I think it will or why does D&D sell caps to put on when it gets down to zero so vents are closed off
On the carbed F5 that makes sense. By comparison using D & D's powerbreather they wanted you to increase the main jet size and also install the caps on very cold days.

The colder it gets the larger the main jets we have to use, and vice versa when its warmer. Apply this to an EFI system and it works the same. Only thing is we don't change main jets when it gets colder. The ECU will increase the fuel injector on time. Now install your D&D Bulleyes caps when it gets down to zero to close off the cold air, so the air is warmer in the air box now isn't it. Now that the air is warmer what injector on time going to do.

It's all about air volume being increased.

·
Registered
986 Posts
When you cap off the vents you run colder air and less volume..You are shutting off air from under the hood not out side air

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by byoffcr@Dec 14 2002, 10:34 PM
When you cap off the vents you run colder air and less volume..You are shutting off air from under the hood not out side air
Less then ideal and more effective modifications are possible. :)

Interesting theory, none the less.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have the TPI (Thunder Products Inc), I loaned out my sled to Goodwin Perf. It was Greg's idea to try the TPI's. (FREE) I didn't think it would be dramatic, but he should me the stalker testing results. It gained two MPH in 500 ft alone. The best part of the design is the intakes have the integrated slide gate, able to close them off when conditions call for it. I will keep reporting as the season progresses.

·
Registered
79 Posts
SabreCat,

Just like the Speedwerx airbox mod the SnoPro's intake is twice the size of the one that the F7 comes with from factory. This allows more volume and you should see a few hp increase.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts