Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there running the rivers? Upstate New York or Vermont have any major rivers to run for fun? In Wisconsins, we have rivers that make for great riding. Just the right turns and corners to make it interesting and always as stable as a groomed superhighway. If your trails are poor, try the rivers. You won't be dissapointed and it looks like you will be able to ride well into March.

Just wanted to know if Wisconsin has this benefit over others. Matter of fact, saw Hardcores' Flash and Flare in Omro, WI. Running the river. Suprising how this forum has made new friends.

·
Registered
514 Posts
There are 3 rivers within 10 minutes of my house in Massena, the Grasse, the Raquette and the St. Lawrence, all of which are like major highways right now. There is also an old shipping canal nearby which is not in use anymore.. that is always smooth, just very steep banks to get off.

Always good riding, saw today some one had run the river downtown where it only freezes on the edges, couldn't believe that one!Its just below an old broken dam, where the water runs pretty fast. Maniacs :eek: :D

·
Doesn't play well with other
5,440 Posts
Hey Scott, we made it back to Princeton in just under 25 min !
Talk about haulin'...............
Later Flash and Flare

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Originally posted by 1madcat@Mar 9 2003, 10:39 PM
You people are nuts, if you go through you're dead. That is crazy crap.
ive done it for years you just know where not to stop plus the rivers i ride are only about 4' deep . we DO NOT ride them after dark . any water we cross you can see the sand on the bottom about 1' deep also that is why it's open . i do think of safety and i can tell you first hand if you know what your doing it's great :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Originally posted by 1madcat@Mar 9 2003, 10:39 PM
You people are nuts, if you go through you're dead. That is crazy crap.
I won't go on if I don't think it is safe... just because someone else has already isn't good enough for me.

We have been riding here (northern, NY) since the first week of Dec.. been river running since Jan... temps have been cold here, hitting -30 and then some, its -12 right now, lakes have about 17-20 inches of ice on them, you aren't going through that!

I'm cautious on the St. lawrence...its a major river, fast flowing and deep. I stay nearer to shore there, although I have seen tracks out to the islands in the middle.

The 2 smaller rivers are safe to travel, we do it nearly every year with the exception of last, temps stayed too warm for me to think it was safe although there were people on it.

I look at it this way, you could hit a tree on the trail and be dead too... its all about being sensible B)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Riding on the rivers around here is awesome too. As you may recall the fur traders and explorers used the rivers extensively in their quest for land, furs and tang. I have crossed allot of open water and when the snow pack is thick, say more than 12 inches it is the greatest highway one can use. Just two things to be cautious of:

1) Open water is great as long as the ice and snow at the end of the water will let you back up if not the options are minimal.
2) Bare ice is more tricky, if you don’t run studs and carbides the chance of loosing it are great. The other thing about bare ice is the small ridges and crack that can send you flying in a whole new direction when you wanted to go straight. Normally this would not be a problem but if you are doing 90 + MPH and a cross cut crack runs into your skags, carbide or not you could be killed. I know this from experience, two broken ribs, 1 fractured, broken bones in the wrist and thumb, broken helmet and a smashed up ZR. Lucky to have lived after seeing stars and red lights in my head. Blacked out for 10 minutes I was told. The ride home was no fun either.

All that can be said is know where you ride and heed some of the cautions posted here.
Nuf said!
Evil

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
slider,

Nice watercross pic! i always watercross with my sled, its fun, but it has been cold lately and everything is frozen but the best riding is comming soon! when it gets mild!

That water looks pretty shallow, how deep is it?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Right there it was about 1 and a half to 2 feet. the whole river is rather shallow i guess. Ranges from and average 4 - 5 feet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm over in Bay City, MI. I've been riding on the Kawkawlin riv. and Saginaw
river since early January. First they started out just bare ice without too much snow now they are just perfect. Anywhere from 12" to 36' thick. I
also rid on the Saginaw Bay. CAN YOU SAY W..O..T

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
if i recall correctly, saw on the news a cpl weeks ago, someone went through the hudson river with his sled. farther north in NY than me, wouldn't dare touch it down here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts