Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the hood off my sled repairing some cosmetic damage that occured over the holidays. Does anyone know if operating without a hood will cause any permanent damage to the induction system, or electrontics in the ECU/Gage? I guess that I will not have any idiot lights but other than that I would think that everything should function. Thanks

·
Registered
10,580 Posts
I am almost sure you can run without a hood/lights etc. I know a couple of guys on snowest were running their EXT's without hoods in the spring.

·
Registered
772 Posts
here is me last year in the moutains......at 12, 000 feet.... But i did put some screen over the intake....

my avatar is me with no headlights or anything hooked up again...just intake covered..so yes u can !! :fluffy:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Two things you should think of when running without a hood/cowl.

1. Without a glowing headlight, it will make your machien less visible in lower light conditions, ie: thorugh woods, near dusk, etc. A somewhat of a dangerous situation.(35% of motorcycle accidents happen when a motorcycle without a headlight is present.)

2. Your engine may run too cool at speeds, and the pipe(s) will be too cold possibly. May lose a few HP (up to 10 depending on air temperature, and riding speed).

·
Registered
340 Posts
We run our Improved and Prostock sleds with no wiring in the hood at all. Just unplug the harness at the base of the hood. Keep in mind if the sled ever starts to run bad or acts funny, plug in your tach and look for a check engine code, it saves alot of time. Dan

·
Registered
10,580 Posts
Originally posted by 99srxracer@Jul 22 2004, 03:36 PM
why would you want to run w/o hood, wieght savings?
Most of the time the western riders will ride without hoods to keep their sleds cool in spring riding when the snow is heavy and the temps are high. You can also save quite a bit of weight without a hood.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Originally posted by mtrsprt@Jul 20 2004, 03:13 PM
2. Your engine may run too cool at speeds, and the pipe(s) will be too cold possibly.  May lose a few HP (up to 10 depending on air temperature, and riding speed).
probably right about the pipes. Engine shouldnt run any cooler though. A liquid cooled engine gets almost no cooling from the outside. And even if it did, the thermostat would simply close and it would maintain a constant temp anyway.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Originally posted by Big Fire Chief@Jul 18 2004, 01:12 AM
here is me last year in the moutains......at 12, 000 feet.... But i did put some screen over the intake....

my avatar is me with no headlights or anything hooked up again...just intake covered..so yes u can !! :fluffy:
i like ur helmet. can i see a pic of it up close?

·
Registered
772 Posts
i assume u mean the skull one........the one in the avatar is a team arctic orange/green one with a chrome flap...heres a pic a little bigger ..

acctually its a cool pic ..because i have like these green/chrome sunglasses on ..and u cant see my face..but these glowing eyes haha :smiley-faces7:

·
Registered
772 Posts
from the extensively epensive collection of helmet wraps for 30 dollars haha...

there millions of em out there...i think the company is skinz or something like that..i dont remember..they fit over any Moto X helemet...its like a neoprene or something...works great and looks great..cant beat the price :fluffy:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
last spring we went out and i took my wind shield off because we were plannoing on doing some playing. well i will never do that again unless i know for sure that the boys are not going to decide to go for a rip on the rail bed. wow, at 80 mhp i felt like i could fly if i had wings. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
haha dawg...think thats bad..wait till u go 80-90 mph with no hood... :) hang on tight!! haha

helmet paintin is cool..i just dont wanna spend the money on it..and plus..one good biff and ur paint job is gone...with the skinz..u can have 10 differnt ones for every other day if u want..... id rather stick 200-1000 dollars in my sled

1 - 17 of 17 Posts