Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to change my handlebars for a new one (still factory, my machine rolled and bent one side) and was wondering what kind of set up are the warmers. Do I need to buy new warmers with the grips or do they run in the bars? Any help would be appreciated before I start cutting

speedmerchant

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The easiest way is just to buy new handle bar grips and new warmers. Other wise it will take u quite some time to get the grips off without damaging the warmers. You would need to score NOT CUT the grips and peel them off with a heat gun. If you cut them youll cut the grip warmer damaging it.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Yes, the handwarmers wrap around the bars kind of like tape. If you cut the grips off you probably will cut the warmer. Instead cut the end of the grip off flush with the end of the bar and peel it back as best you can. Then you can see where you can cut without damaging the grip.

Cat S.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The grips aren't thaqt tough to get off. I replaced mine as soon as I got my sled, with yellow ones. I just cut along the grip a little at a time until I was through, and peeled it off. It os a little easier if you cut the end off first though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how about putting on the new grips. what's the best method, glue etc

speedmerchant

·
Registered
68 Posts
i replaced my grips with all i did was plug the opposite end with my buddies finger took air blow gun and blew in the other side blew up like balloon then pulled them right off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the advice guys. I took cmscat50's advice and it worked like a charm. Took about 10 min for both sides and didn't even come close to cutting the warmers. I found that once you cut off the end of the grip there is a small gap where it doesn't touch the bar. I started cutting there and peeled the grip back on to itself as I cut, that way if I slipped with the knife it was on top of the grip I was taking off anyway. Worked like a charm. Know I just have to wait for my new ones.
I heard that if you use dishsoap to put them on it works good as the soap and water eventually evaporate and the grips won't be loose. Any thoughts

speedmerchant

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
:) :) :) Glad to help and YES the new grips will be difficult to put on. You can get them on without dishsoap or windex or whatever, but plan on bloody hands. Don't forget to put adhesive on them or they will come off.

Cat S.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts