Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do most of my own work and unfortunately have never had the tools, smarts and balls to dive into the clutches. I just had a piss poor experience at the dealer and out of the all the people I ride with, I am kinda the guy that gets called on to do the maintenance.

Right now, I have about five guys that need to do some clutching and or maintenance. I figure if everyone brings them to the dealer we are talking serious coin. All but one of these are Polaris sleds.

So, who has the skills, tools and time to to teach me a few things?

1. General removal, tear down, parts inspection/replacement and replace clutches.

2. Clutch adjustments, belt to sheave clearance, center to center, alignment etc.

I realize this is not rocket science (the mechanics anyway, spring/helix/weight combos probably are rocket science) but I would be way more comfortable if someone who knows what they are doing could walk me through it in person.

$ for your knowledge and time is negotiable. :beerchug:

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I live very near Minneapolis but would be willing to travel a bit.

Jeff

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,148 Posts
Fly me out to Minnesota?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
There are some good books available that will teach you what you need to know. One that comes to mind is the Aean Clutch tuning handbook. It will give you a very good understanding of the principles of how and why the CVT does what it does. And will help you apply it to the machine your working on. Also the Polaris Performance Manuals have great "blue printing" techniques that will help you with understanding the maintenece needs of the primary and secondary.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Alleycat35@Sep 14 2005, 08:25 AM
There are some good books available that will teach you what you need to know. One that comes to mind is the Aean Clutch tuning handbook. It will give you a very good understanding of the principles of how and why the CVT does what it does. And will help you apply it to the machine your working on. Also the Polaris Performance Manuals have great "blue printing" techniques that will help you with understanding the maintenece needs of the primary and secondary.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=874310
[/quote]

I have purchased the Aean book but have to admit that I have not read it thouroughly. I do not have the Polaris performance manual but should probably get one. I guess I am hoping to do the first clutches with someone who has done it before.

By the way, What I would specifically want to work on is my 00XC600. I know the springs are sacked out on that and would like to do the alignment etc. on that machine. I would also like to do the roller off my 03 ProX. I am not wanting to do six sets of clutches.

Thanks for the responses.

Jeff_G

·
Registered
274 Posts
I too would be intersted. I have clutch puller and can pull clutch and change weights/spring but I am interested in learing how to check center to center, etc. I have 03 pro x 7 as well...and live in twin cities.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Both of you give me a call (612-590-2996). I live in St. Louis Park and might be able to help you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts