Hardcore Sledder banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,448 Posts
Pretty sure alone those wahl rear skids are made of chrome moly steel, their very light, and fast. We ran them in our pro stock wedge. 650's.

I still have my 650 Pro-Stock with a Wahl rear suspension, it's aluminum, also has a Rudolph aluminum front suspension..

·
Vendor
10,079 Posts
Pretty sure alone those wahl rear skids are made of chrome moly steel, their very light, and fast. We ran them in our pro stock wedge. 650's.
this is alum. 136" weigh's 22 lbs. 136" speed track weigh's 22 lbs. without studs. stock skid weigh's 57 lbs. and the track 46 lb's. the wahl skid and speed track weigh less than just the stock track. sled and driver 550 lbs. the driver is 180 lbs. so the sled weigh's 370 lb's. pretty light compared to stock.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
I still have my 650 Pro-Stock with a Wahl rear suspension, it's aluminum, also has a Rudolph aluminum front suspension..
Tried aluminum front end but when the sled did a small wheelie out of the hole, then the trailing arms bent badly after the sled hit the surface of the ice.

this is alum. 136" weigh's 22 lbs. 136" speed track weigh's 22 lbs. without studs. stock skid weigh's 57 lbs. and the track 46 lb's. the wahl skid and speed track weigh less than just the stock track. sled and driver 550 lbs. the driver is 180 lbs. so the sled weigh's 370 lb's. pretty light compared to stock.
I guess that explains why the skid was so light. Had thought it was chrome moly steel figuring the aluminum would break. At any rate our 650 pro stocks were under 390 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
36,448 Posts
Tried aluminum front end but when the sled did a small wheelie out of the hole, then the trailing arms bent badly after the sled hit the surface of the ice.

I guess that explains why the skid was so light. Had thought it was chrome moly steel figuring the aluminum would break. At any rate our 650 pro stocks were under 390 lbs.

My trailing arms have been on since 1989, many wheelies, I'm sure the Rudulph arms are different than what yours were, mine are not square but more oval.

Mine also has a 5lb. seat and 5lb. hood, titanium drive and jackshaft, & Wahl short aluminum skis.

I have posted pics of the sled on here before. It's for sale now.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
We originally had a titanium jackshaft and driveshaft, but ended up with a gun drilled steel jackshaft after noting flexing in the jackshaft where the drive clutch sits hurting performance...changed it out to steel and went 2 tents faster in 660'. As far as the trailing arms, had them made to mimic the exact looks of oem ones. My take was the aluminum used was too thin a gauge. Should of been heavier, and heat treated. Just lucky they broke when tested, and not during an actual race.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts