Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,903 Posts
Right after I bought my 2000 XCR, a friend who had a lot of disposable income decided he wanted something to beat me with. So, he bought a new Mach Z 800. His buddy bought a Mach I 700.

The 700 beat the 800 in several lake races. My 800 beat both of them. :cry:

In my experience, the Gen II 800 XCR, when properly tuned, is almost untouchable by any other stocker from that era. Including T-cats and F-7s.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Right after I bought my 2000 XCR, a friend who had a lot of disposable income decided he wanted something to beat me with. So, he bought a new Mach Z 800. His buddy bought a Mach I 700.

In my experience, the Gen II 800 XCR, when properly tuned, is almost untouchable by any other stocker from that era. Including T-cats and F-7s.
thats why i want one yep lol

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I always thought the aggressive chassis and wedge were the same with different styling?:dunno:

I had an opportunity when i just bought my rmk 6 to trade for a wedge chassis with a 800 triple modded by iantomassi out of ontario.

Had i know how things would have gone i would have.that things a missle.
The '98 wedge chassis and gen 2 chassis are the the exact same chassis.The only major difference is the bodywork.Ive swapped bodies on these chassis numerous times.The aggressive is a completely different chassis.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts

Imo, the 00 700 mach 1 was a pooch, a heavy one. Had a good running 00 600 ves that was tuned well, would beat my buddies mach 1 every time we ran in a 1000'. Even the mach z was beatable if it spun out of the hole. I wasn't impressed with either of those sleds.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
thats why i want one yep lol
I never got to try an 800 xcr, but they were suppose to have the same crc steering as my ves 600 in 00. The only way to describe the ride quality on the xc was bad, that extra 10 was crap in that sled, felt there was way too much compression dampening for the front shocks and over sprung for the rear skid. Between blowing shocks and ride compliance similar to a lumber wagon. The best thing i could say about the sled was on table top groomed trails to slightly moderate trail chatter the sled handled on rails, no other sled i tried was any better. All said it was nice to get the edge model for the following season.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
If I were me I would find a nice gen2 XCR and put a edge or iq rear skid in. Youll have a XCR that rides good without the bs of engine swapping.
I put a 04 pro-x rear skid in mine. Worked pretty nice when I got it dialed (lowered front arm to better carry the front end etc)
It sure didn't roll as easy as before though.
Also I hated the way the stock front Fox shocks on the 00 XCR were valved. Put in a rebuilt set of 03 edge xc rydefx shocks and it was a huge improvement.
But rear ride quality suffered when the weak torsion springs sagged out

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
I put a 04 pro-x rear skid in mine. Worked pretty nice when I got it dialed (lowered front arm to better carry the front end etc)
It sure didn't roll as easy as before though.
Also I hated the way the stock front shocks were valved. Put in a rebuilt set of edge xc rydefx shocks and it was a huge improvement.
But rear ride quality suffered when the weak torsion springs sagged out
I did the opposite on an edge for a weeks trip. Installed a revalved set of spare ifs ryde fx 9200 shocks from my 00 600 ves....(Got sick of the ifs fox shocks blowing seals.) They worked well on the edge during the week.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
^ IIRC, both the front travel and c-c distance were pretty close between the latest xtra10 crc and edge front ends

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The '98 wedge chassis and gen 2 chassis are the the exact same chassis.The only major difference is the bodywork.Ive swapped bodies on these chassis numerous times.The aggressive is a completely different chassis.
awe gotcha. thanks for clearing that up.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
im fully aware it may or in fact will, ride pretty badly.I owned a 99 mach z 800 in the past and expect it to be somewhat similar in weight and bulk.im ok with that.

the switchback will be my primary trail sled, this thing is just for that sweet ass motor and my opinion, pretty mean look.

Kinda like a new mustang would be faster , handle better , ride better etc ...but put a mint 69' fastback next to it ill take it over it just because there not around much anymore and are no apollogies muscle with everything else was secondary.same reason I want a xcr gen 2.

would I ride it every day?no. But when im in the mood for it I want it to be there.always wanted one. If I cant find a good stock example of one, a drop in motor for my edge would be the next best thing.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
im fully aware it may or in fact will, ride pretty badly.I owned a 99 mach z 800 in the past and expect it to be somewhat similar in weight and bulk.im ok with that.
Got a couple buddies with 98 Mach1's that I got to try - I'd say they felt more heavy and less willing to change direction than my 00 xcr - those ck3 chassis sleds imo works best in a straight line , lol!

The only way to describe the ride quality on the xc was bad, that extra 10 was crap in that sled, felt there was way too much compression dampening for the front shocks and over sprung for the rear skid. Between blowing shocks and ride compliance similar to a lumber wagon. The best thing i could say about the sled was on table top groomed trails to slightly moderate trail chatter the sled handled on rails
never got to try the 00 xc600sp, but when you mention it, those years polaris liked to put in really stiff center schock springs, like 180lbs or more.
And in my 99 xc700sp, the PPS rear shock worked fine - but not for more than 4-500 miles at a time. Dealer put in a regular non position sensitive fox, and lumber wagon was a fitting description until I put in a 140# center spring - then I got some compliance back in the rear skid, lol!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had one. Biggest issues were the pipes, the airbox, and getting the clutching with the team secondary right.

But I had the tall pro x seat, tall bars, and the front skid raised 7/8" and that fucker would bang.

When I first got my 2015 prox switchback honestly it was a bit of a downgrade. After a pipe, clutch kit, and suspensi9on adjustments Im happier, but I miss that sled sometimes.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
xrocket, yours was in the pro-x chassis? Looks like the edge swap is not as tight fit in the bulkhead..?

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
Got a couple buddies with 98 Mach1's that I got to try - I'd say they felt more heavy and less willing to change direction than my 00 xcr - those ck3 chassis sleds imo works best in a straight line , lol!

never got to try the 00 xc600sp, but when you mention it, those years polaris liked to put in really stiff center schock springs, like 180lbs or more.
And in my 99 xc700sp, the PPS rear shock worked fine - but not for more than 4-500 miles at a time. Dealer put in a regular non position sensitive fox, and lumber wagon was a fitting description until I put in a 140# center spring - then I got some compliance back in the rear skid, lol!
The extra 10's rode better/exceptable in my 96-99 sleds once backing off on the shocks preload. As far as the 00 gen2 600 ves. I tried all that without a lot of difference. Between those happy fox shock seals and the crappy ride that sled had, if it wasn't for the awesome motor, i would traded it in earlier for another sled. The 05 edge i have now has close to the performance of that 00 600 motor, rides and handles unreal compared to those sleds, but then again there's a lot of work that went into the suspension/shocks to get there.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts

the switchback will be my primary trail sled, this thing is just for that sweet ass motor and my opinion, pretty mean look.

Kinda like a new mustang would be faster , handle better , ride better etc ...but put a mint 69' fastback next to it ill take it over it just because there not around much anymore and are no apollogies muscle with everything else was secondary.same reason I want a xcr gen 2.

would I ride it every day?no. But when im in the mood for it I want it to be there.always wanted one. If I cant find a good stock example of one, a drop in motor for my edge would be the next best thing.
Trust me, you wouldn't want to ride a gen2 of that vintage year every day. I still don't know how i put up with mine. I know my 95 xcr 600 with the ohlin shock package and custom springs rode way better.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
I'd say when I got my 99 xcsp dialed in susp.wise , it didnt ride that bad. However, the cramped ergos with the low racer seat was hard on my back + knee/hip joints. Still fun to take out for shorter blasts on suitable trails though

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Trust me, you wouldn't want to ride a gen2 of that vintage year every day. I still don't know how i put up with mine. I know my 95 xcr 600 with the ohlin shock package and custom springs rode way better.
naw just a sunday cruise to the pond or on a well beat trail.for everything else theres my switchback.:bc:

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'd say when I got my 99 xcsp dialed in susp.wise , it didnt ride that bad. However, the cramped ergos with the low racer seat was hard on my back + knee/hip joints. Still fun to take out for shorter blasts on suitable trails though
yeah thats pretty much exactly my intentions as well.will definitely leave it home for rides in the choppy stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I had one. Biggest issues were the pipes, the airbox, and getting the clutching with the team secondary right.

But I had the tall pro x seat, tall bars, and the front skid raised 7/8" and that fucker would bang.

When I first got my 2015 prox switchback honestly it was a bit of a downgrade. After a pipe, clutch kit, and suspensi9on adjustments Im happier, but I miss that sled sometimes.
i got the pro x shorty seat coming for my 05 switchback edge 144 as well.think it make a nice chassis for that bad ass motor if finding a mint shape gen 2 proves too difficult or expensive.

what body modfications were required to make the pipes etc fit?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts