Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the weather feeling more like spring and no snow in the forecast, I have yet to even start the sled or register it. If the winter stays like this I think I may be forced to sell it. It's not worth having a $5k machine sit in my shop, along with the $100 insurance, and only use it 3-4 times a year. I could buy a dirtbike and ride it 10x more, or put the money into a new truck. This isn't something I really want to do because snowmobiling as always been a big part of my life and something I enjoy doing with my Father. Nut with the lack of snow, cost of gas, and time committed to college, I'm unsure if it is a smart idea to keep praying for now and to see the value of a sled, which who knows how much I will be able to ride, drop by the day as it sits unused.

Anyone else have the same thoughts or any thoughts in general?

·
Premium Member
5,060 Posts
I look at it this way. It's paid for and doesn't owe me a thing. If I sold it, then it snowed, I'd be kicking my own as*. Right now sleds don't have much of a value. They're all for sale.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am on the fence about selling also. I know if I sell my sleds it will snow. I can't see the logic of keeping them and registering them plus insurance for only riding in February if that even happens. They are paid for but what a waste of money and time I have spent preparing for this season since September.

·
Registered
552 Posts
personally i think snowobiling in the ne is on it's way to becoming extinct. certainly hope i'm wrong. if someone were to offer me 80% of what I paid for my set up i might take it. i would probably get a bigger boat instead. it would really be a tough call. however looking at the trailer with 3 pissed off skidoos in it is becoming unbearable. keep your fingers crossed on the supposed weather change coming then post this question. also, look at the local classifieds, i think the snowmobile section grows a page in length every week.

·
Premium Member
5,060 Posts
I really think what makes me keep them is that I have quads to. If I can't sled, then I most certainly can ride the quad. Best of both worlds.

Snoslinger - if it is going to be extinct it's time to start pushing for quad trails.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I was in the same situation Snowrebel. This was my first year of college and I knew at best I could ride for 2 weeks out of the season on winter break, assuming there is snow. I go back next week and there has not been more than an inch on the ground since I've been home. I'm glad I made the decision I did. I got rid of my sled and put it towards my new car. The way I see it, when I get out of college in 3 years, I will buy a brand new sled and make up for lost time.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I really think what makes me keep them is that I have quads to. If I can't sled, then I most certainly can ride the quad. Best of both worlds.

Snoslinger - if it is going to be extinct it's time to start pushing for quad trails.[/b]
i'm not throwing in the towel just yet. i can wait another year or two. and fathertucker, i see you snooping around here - i didn't bring up the GW word again so lay off. :smilielol:
:beerchug:

·
Registered
552 Posts
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER WILL I BAIL OUT
I THOUGHT YOU PEOPLE WERE HARDCORE?

I wish I only had 5 grand wrapped up, shit I have 9 grand just in trailers[/b]
ditto here, over 20K invested. that would probably at least another 10' to the boat!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good luck selling.......I drive by 6 sleds almost every day that have been for sale since the middle of last season. The stock for snowmobiles is very low right now, you would probably need to wait for snow to sell them, or be willing to take a big loss to get rid of them.

I am not selling, mine are paid for and I would not be able to handle staying in while all my buddies go riding. Now if we don't get any ridable snow this winter (which I dont believe will happen) then I will start holding off on purchasing the Insurance, Registration, and trail passes until I can ride.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I was in the same situation Snowrebel. This was my first year of college and I knew at best I could ride for 2 weeks out of the season on winter break, assuming there is snow. I go back next week and there has not been more than an inch on the ground since I've been home. I'm glad I made the decision I did. I got rid of my sled and put it towards my new car. The way I see it, when I get out of college in 3 years, I will buy a brand new sled and make up for lost time.[/b]
yeah the good old college days. the price of a snowmobile covers alot of beer and other "necessities". and you're right about school. what are you majoring in?

·
Registered
70 Posts
- ALL signs that that the 2nd half of the winter (JAN 15- MARCH 15) is going to be VERY different from the past 6 weeks--- I am telling folks do NOT over look the SHOCKING amounts of cold air coming into the Midwest & Northeast starting second week of january.

From WXRISK.com.

DO NOT SURRENDER TO THE MYTHS THAT WINTER IS IN THE BAG!!! WE HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO!

·
Banned
695 Posts
i'm not throwing in the towel just yet. i can wait another year or two. and fathertucker, i see you snooping around here - i didn't bring up the GW word again so lay off. :smilielol:
:beerchug:[/b]
I wondered where you were hiding Slinger....is Motonoggin here too? By the way don't sell...the snow is on it's way. Trust me I'm a good Republican! :frech11: :flame: :beerchug: :ylsuper:

·
Registered
552 Posts
I wondered where you were hiding Slinger....is Motonoggin here too? By the way don't sell...the snow is on it's way. Trust me I'm a good Republican! :frech11: :flame: :beerchug: :ylsuper:[/b]
Judge Smales - man I missed ya. :smilielol: getting back into HCS again but more limited time. i'm actually trying to stay out of C/E and stay more focused on riding in NY. i'm depressed enough and don't need the BS over in C/E. Not sure where mottonoggin is. cheers.

:beerchug:

·
Banned
695 Posts
Judge Smales - man I missed ya. :smilielol: getting back into HCS again but more limited time. i'm actually trying to stay out of C/E and stay more focused on riding in NY. i'm depressed enough and don't need the BS over in C/E. Not sure where mottonoggin is. cheers.

:beerchug:[/b]
Right back at ya' slinger! :celebrating:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Right back at ya' slinger! :celebrating:[/b]
HCS, C/E especially is downright addicting. i stop over at C/E occasionally and still see a significant amount of BS :smilielol: perhaps i'll stop by again soon a drop some more "truth bombs" but for now my therapist is making me stay away!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts