Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
the way i do it is just put the new spring in, take the cover plate along with a big washer on the clutch bolt, suck it in so you can tighten up the outer bolts, then take out the bolt, take the washer off and re-tighten in. good to go.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
the way i do it is just put the new spring in, take the cover plate along with a big washer on the clutch bolt, suck it in so you can tighten up the outer bolts, then take out the bolt, take the washer off and re-tighten in. good to go.[/b]
:werd:
It can be done without taking the clutch off, it just takes a little muscle.

·
Registered
45,630 Posts
My buddy does it all the time...he's got a dummy clutch bolt tool that allows the clutch cover to be removed in the sled without the need for an extra pair of hands. Says you can buy one from most of the aftermarket guys.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
yep I got a dummy clutch tool as well. Small and simple you can take it with yu on the lake and change springs/weights in a snap.

They are about 45 bucks but look to be well worth it for the ease and knowng you wont smash your fingers or gallup your clutch with a pry bar

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem with either sled (Gen II on my XCR is much worse) is that there is almost NO room between clutch cover and bellpan - I just don't see how I can get the cover off to install the new spring in the first place? There is maybe 1-2" tops of room??

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
A long time ago I did it with the big washer method. I took the belly pan nut off to give me some extra clearance by pulling the pan out. After a year of dialing in a sled with the clutch on the crank I wisened up and bought a strap wrench, puller and clutch compression tool. Best money I have ever spent. I will never work on a clutch unless it's off the sled.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
.......I wisened up and bought a strap wrench, puller and clutch compression tool. Best money I have ever spent..........[/b]
I Agree!! If you are doing a one time swap, throwing in a spring from a kit, you can work it and get it in without pulling the primary out. But if you plan to work on the clutch more than once, do the weights, rebuild it, etc. Might as well invest in the proper tools. You can always work on your friends sleds and your next ride as well.
Good call to have the right tools for the job!

edit: This goes for any tools. Buy the right ones, good ones, and they will last a lifetime. Wether they are tools for your cars, motorcycle or home workshop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts