Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has purchased a sled from the U.S.? If you have, can you let me know how it went? Did you have a lot of hassles at the border? Any info would help. Thanks

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I got mine fomr the usa in 2 peices lol, you just need to give them 48 hours notice i think, pm danx123 he will give you all the details.

·
Registered
866 Posts
You have to fax a copy of the title to the usa border 72 hours before you come accross and you need a receipt of course and a list of all manufacures recalls and a list that they have been completed[/b]

I think this is only for cars. A friend of mine bought a RX-1 last year in Grand Forks and didn't have to notify them in advance. There has also been lots of discussion on this on other areas of this site and other people have not done this and had no issues.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
There getting stickier about the 72 hour notice thing. If you catch the us customs agent on a good day & he likes to sled chances are your gonna get thru. If you get a woman agent pms;ing who is a sled widow chances are you won,t get thru. Luck of the draw at the border.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a couple of sleds from the states. I didn't give the boarder 72 hrs notice, just played dumb, and got through. But for the little effort it takes to send a fax it will make things a lot simpler. It's the 2 taxes and the RIV fee that I didn't like. The RIV fee is $250 now, I think.

·
Registered
924 Posts
last year, june, the RIV fee was still $209, and the 72 hour notice is still technically required by customs (us side), although, as people have mentioned, it depends what kind of mood they are in that day.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I bought a 2005 Renegade X that was unavailable in Manitoba at the time, spring order only sled and I got it for $1000 less then the run of the mill available in the fall standard sled. I have bought a truck and a watercraft down there since and the savings far outweigh the paperwork and the RIV fee and hassle. As long as you are buying US or Canadian made stuff you only have to pay the taxes (PST & GST) on a Yammi there will most likely be some duty..."most friendly nation" they call it, probably 6.5% if I remember right. BRP has made it more trouble lately and is making trouble for the dealers down there with penalties and as soon as you call BRP for the letter of recall that RIV needs that will notify them that you have exported the sled and they will automatically void the warranty in there system. An example I was involved with first hand is two Can-Am 650 Outlander XT's the savings was approximately $3000 per machine, the trade off was the loss of warranty coverage in Canada and the 30-45days of fussing around with paperwork and the RIV, is it worth it? YES!, if you can affor the out of pocket costs when you have small warranty issues and be sure that the dealer in the states wont walk on you if you had major trouble. The exchange is well in our favour right now and the NAFTA situation makes it fairly easy compared to the savings to do it. What works best is if you have a good friend in the US that will buy the unit for you and have it registered to him in the US and then sell it to you privately for a reduced amount, this way the dealer is happy and has his US addy for registration and more importantly your warranty. The dealers up here are going to get there noses out of joint as soon as they know the machine came from the US but just don't walk into there shop with all the money you saved falling out of your pockets and depending on the dealer he should serve you in his normal service rotation if you needed. I actually just recently bought another 05 Summit 800 X used two weeks ago, figured I save about $2500 depending on who’s math you use and what I might have paid for a comparable used machine in Alberta or Quebec, never mind right here in my own backyard (Grand Forks)

That is probably the best deal, buy used in the states, then you have none of the dealer issues and there is nothing to get the manufactures excited.

As far as issues at the border, there are none, just follow the rules set out by US customs, the RIV and don’t try and screw around with the CBSA and you will be fine. The trouble they can make for you at the border is not worth the savings on the taxes, its peanuts and you would have to pay it here anyway so take the savings and buy some accessories from your local dealer…he will make more on those then the sled anyways.

Another thing to remeber is there are no financing opportunities for Canadians in the US, you have to go with a US Money order or bank draft, or cash but thats would be stupid.

Whew long post...Go get em!

Just wondering if anyone has purchased a sled from the U.S.? If you have, can you let me know how it went? Did you have a lot of hassles at the border? Any info would help. Thanks[/b]

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bought one there this summer and the US side did talk about the 72 hour notice thing however we didn't stop there on the way back and there is no way they can make you. At the Canadian side you have to have the bill of sale and pay GST. They will then give you a form to pay Transportation Canada $207 (you have a week or something). Once you pay the fee to Transportation Canada they will send you a form and you take that in with the letter of recall either from the manufacturer or from the US dealer where you bought it to Canadian Tire. They will inspect it and give you the necessary paperwork to get the sled insured. The inspection fee is covered in the $207 you pay to Transportation Canada. I also took mine to a dealer in Canada to do a search on what had been done to it and switch the warranty over, some manufactures will not honor the warranty in Canada but Ski-doo does.

·
Registered
269 Posts
For sure, thats what I forgot to mention, after realizing what I had done when calling BRP for the letter I said to myslef, damnit I should have got that from the dealer because they are a representative of the manufacturer...thats what I did with my truck and no problem. As far as BRP honoring warranty, I know for certain that they have voided the warranty on the two 650 Outlanders that my wifes Aunt and Unlce bought and imported two months ago. The dealer that I deal with in the US has also told me that they are making it really difficult on him if any of his product ends up in Canada, both directly and indirectly through private sales. Technically they cant do anything on a private sale but they are making life difficult for him on the rebates and registration credits.

FYI, be sure to check on the warranty directly with BRP, there customer service line is available through the RIV.ca website. Thats the best place to start with all the manufacturers.

Later

the letter of recall either from the manufacturer or from the US dealer where you bought it some manufactures will not honor the warranty in Canada but Ski-doo does.[/b]

·
Registered
147 Posts
PM Mr. Heritage...he's got the border thing down. Good luck

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Anyone who does not give the 72 hours notice and get the bill of sale stamped and cleared by the US side prior to crossing are truely rolling the dice. You guys have been extremely lucky getting through. Keep in mind if you don't get through, they simply tell you or not importing it. Now its up to you to decide where you are going to leave it in the US until you do it properly.

Read through the www.riv.ca as previouly suggested. I think advice given that you do not have to give 72 hours notice is poor advice and setting up someone for major hassles. And yes, I've brought back a couple.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I brought my sled through at the end of November. When I crossed the border going into the US and told the attendent that I was going to pick up a sled he asked right away whether I had sent the paperwork 72 hours ahead of time. He said this is mandatory for all motor vehicles with the exception of boats. Also when I came through Canadian customs on the way home with the sled, they looked to make sure the bill was stamped by US customs. Best idea is to follow the rules and have all paperwork in line 72 hours ahead of time to avoid the potential of wasting a trip because you can't import the sled. Many customs officers seem to be on a power trip and can make your life difficult if you dont play by their rules.

·
Registered
725 Posts
just brought home a new 06 switchback 600 h.o today,asked US customs ahead of time about 72 hr notice,they said only on used if its new you don't have to give the notice,pulled up to canadian customs and filled out paper work paid the taxes ,they phoned in my credit card to RIV got authorization and paid the $206.00 and they faxed the info to them on the spot .Now i just have to wait for my package from riv to come in mail,get sled inspected @ canadian tire and away I go !It was easy as pie and saved me at least $2500 CAN after everything was paid for!

·
Registered
663 Posts
i wonder if the manufactor's will ever price the sleds properly in canada to avoid people from wanting to export new sled's for thousand's cheaper from the us????? it just makes no sense... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
It is worse buying vehicles. A bud of mine bought a new Toyota Tundra truck in Minot & saved $11,000 over best price he got up here![/b]
I heard that Toyota has ordered their US dealers not to sell new vehicles to Canada. That was a few months ago. Someone I know saved nearly 5k on a new Camry and the dealer told them that they would be the last ones to take a Toyota across the border.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Easy way too beat that system. You rent a US post office box for $12 & you have a us address. You can buy new sleds/cars/trucks no problems & the manufacterer just sees the us address when the dealer sends paperwork to head office.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah what he said. Just make sure you have the dealer write the letter of recall for you on there letterhead so that you do not have to contact the manufacturer.

Even if Toyota ordered there dealers not to sell into Canada what are they going to do about situations like this, there are always ways around the walls they put up.

THe manufacturers have to get the pricing set up correctly, if they are all happy with a certain level of profit in the US that should be acceptable in Canada. A common currency would most likely solve these problems along with many others.

Easy way too beat that system. You rent a US post office box for $12 & you have a us address. You can buy new sleds/cars/trucks no problems & the manufacterer just sees the us address when the dealer sends paperwork to head office.[/b]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts