Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got done putting heavier springs in the sled today, and although it helped a little, it's still WAY too soft. I bottommed for most of the day until all of a sudden the smartride decided to work and the sled stiffened up for the last 5 miles of my ride. I'm about ready to pitch that crap and go with conventional shocks. The RideFX 8200s are relatively inexpensive. Anybody have them?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have them on the wife's 94 580 ext, In my opinion I like them, they ride smooth and the sled handles great, especially in the woods. The 580 used to be my main ride until this year, it was time for me to update, but I still love that sled.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Jim, If your able to find a dealer that can fix your SS shocks I know you'll be more than pleased with the ride. During a trip last week (850+miles) we had a guy along riding an 02 T-Cat with SS, his performed perfect with far above average ride quality and handling. He also has an 03 ZR-900 for comparison.

Rick.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue boils down to cost. If it's an electrical issue inside the shocks, they will need to be replaced, not repaired. These shocks are insanely expensive, and I'm so far out of warranty that I don't even have the heart to start bitching to Cat dispite having these problems since day one.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Cat has been standup about warranty work even past the expiration. You have had a problem for quite a while with this SS suspension. Another member posted advice about telling your dealer that future sled sales are riding on his response to your problem.
The SS suspension is the best rear suspension on the market for riding comfort. I am completely sold on it's ability to deliver a smooth ride with control. I can ride hundreds of miles a day and still function at work the following day. I rate this sled over the F-cat, Rev, even the ZR chassis. B)
Don't gut this suspension because it is worth the effort to get it right. You said it was great when it worked. Don't give up :angry:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer I bought the sled from has been less than helpful from the start, and the other dealer I've dealt with has been great, but I'm just about out of favors to cash in with them. I also don't feel like having the sled sit in the shop for the last month of the season. If I can get the time I'll try calling Cat and see what they say, but I don't really have a lot more I can do through the dealer.

The smartride has been junk from day one, and I really don't have the patience to keep screwing with it. I want to ride my sled. Between trips to the dealer and the time I've spent with it apart, I'm not getting much riding time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Jim, even if you install some ryde fx shocks to finish the season.....make sure you get with cat directly to get the issues with the ss shocks fixed. Cat has always been great about covering stuff for me....even out of warranty. My zrt6 had a broken motor mount and cracked clutch sheeve 1 year out of warranty with 2500 miles on it......they fixed both for nothing. I had a crank bearing problem with my zl500 motor at 500 miles....they gave me an extra year warranty on the motor (never had to use it though).

As has already been said, I hate to see you give up completely on the ss suspension, I am completely sold on it.......it is the best trail suspension out there.

Ron

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have you varified that you are getting power to the shocks? I have rebuilt (re-oil and re-seal) two of these sleds and one had wire chaffing problems. If you are not getting power to the shocks then they will ride soft (default). They do not ride like regular shocks without power as some have suggested.

Also, if you have more then 1-2 k miles on them, then there is water in the oil. Of course they may also be out of oil... I found all four shocks on these two sleds were short on oil after 2 k miles (about 1/2" on the floating piston).

These shocks take all the same rebuild parts as ACT and FOX. They are somewhat tricky to purge air from as the pistons do not have bypass ports. Bypass is in the shock body and is controlled via the electronics. Thats where the magic is. Purging air is labor and oil intensive but really not hard to do if you thinck about how to do it.

BobCat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts