Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F5 takes forever to warm up and run good. It idles like crap and runs like it is on one cylinder until it is driven 2-3 miles. It runs great after that but it gets me worried first because I'm afraid it's gonna take dump on me.

Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
My experience is as follows:

10 deg F temp

Full choke, 3 pulls to start, put on half choke and give about 1/8 throttle (measured from the block to the flipper), immediately take off choke and feather throttle a few times so it will idle on it's own. Let idle for 5 minutes, put on stand and increase throttle to engage clutch and spin track at about 10 MPH for 1 minute.

Doing this will warm up the belt and the slight load will also allow the engine to warm up slightly faster than just idling. Then when I start off, I take it easy for the first mile while listening for anything strange.

At this point, I gradually increase throttle inputs until it "feels" right, then just ride it like normal.

When I stop, it idles for 10 seconds at 2000 rpm, then goes right to 1500 rpm.

I believe the use of a coolant temp gauge plumbed in the right location would help in knowing when the engine is at operating temp prior to riding it hard.

My F5 SP has 185 miles on it. :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Mine runs great. Put on 100 miles last friday about 0 degrees, it idles really nice and runs fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I PLAYED WITH THE AIR AND FUEL SCREWS ON MY F5 AND I CAME UP WITH 1 1/4 TURNS ON THE AIR SCREW (THE BRASS SCREW BY THE AIR BOX BOOT) AND 1 TURN ON THE FUEL SCREW (WHITE PLASTIC CAP ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE CARBS) CAT FACTORY SETTINGS ARE 1 1/2 AIR SCREW, 2 FUEL SREW. THE ONLY TOUGH ONE TO GET AT IS THE PTO CARB FUEL SCREW, ITS BETWEEN THE CARB AND SIDE PLATE SO I USED A LONG REGULAR SCREWDRIVER TO TURN THE KNOB. ALSO AFTER START UP I LET IT RUN FOR 5 MIN THEN SHUT IT OFF TO HEAT SOAK THE ENGINE AND CARBS.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
backshift,how was your sled acting,before and after the adjustments.Mine idles great while cold,but doesn't like to drop rpms for 30 seconds after its warm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by redF5sp@Jan 18 2003, 09:45 AM
backshift,how was your sled acting,before and after the adjustments.Mine idles great while cold,but doesn't like to drop rpms for 30 seconds after its warm.
What is your idle set (rpm) this is critical for what is called lean run but 30 sec at a high idle doesnt seem to be to bad. My 5 would load up on fuel after a few min when you grabed a mit full of throttle it would take a long time to air out and get rpm, now it idles clean forever and has that geter done response i like it!! But maybe i got a bit ritcher set of carbs ( I gues they can vary a bit from Mikuni) any way that is what seems to work for me maybe someone else will try it if they have idle or exceleration richness. Im not woried about burning it down with only working on the idle. Have you worked at all on chassis adjustments? I had to couple mine more in the back didnt seem like the third setting was even enough when you want to turn under power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine runs great, haven't had any problems.

Brandon

·
Registered
153 Posts
how long are u guys that are having problems letting these things warm up?? i let mine warm for about 20-30 mins and it takes off perfectly???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts