Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a 12VDC power source on my sled to wire in a cigarette lighter adapter to power a GPS unit from the sleds power. The sled does not have a battery. If it matters I am trying to do this to a 93 AC prowler 440. Any cat techs out there who know how this can be done? Thanks...Prowler

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by catcando@Sep 20 2005, 12:50 PM
all that talk on the other thread about finding trails get you wanting that GPS mounted? :)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=883618
[/quote]
I have a RAM mount for my XR400, and I was able to hide a 12VDC power source under the head light shell, it works great! I just need to find a way to power it on the sled now. My buddy has software that allows you to play back the trip log at real speed, it's pretty cool. I can't wait now. Let it snow. :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You need a rectifier to go from ac to dc. I know polaris sells them or you can build your own with parts from radio shack for a lot cheaper... :banana:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by zr52k@Sep 20 2005, 04:17 PM
You need a rectifier to go from ac to dc.  I know polaris sells them or you can build your own with parts from radio shack for a lot cheaper... :banana:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=883921
[/quote]
Do you have any idea if there is already one in there or not? I believe that the temp and oil warning lights operate on a 12 VDC signal, but I could be wrong.

Would I really need a regulator/rectifier to prevent any abnormal surges too?

Thanks...Prowler

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Originally posted by Prowler@Sep 20 2005, 04:31 PM
Do you have any idea if there is already one in there or not?  I believe that the temp and oil warning lights operate on a 12 VDC signal, but I could be wrong.

Would I really need a regulator/rectifier to prevent any abnormal surges too?

Thanks...Prowler
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=883941
[/quote]
Im pretty sure all sleds operate on ac, even though they use standard 12v automotive bulbs. Your sled should have a regulator already, but im not sure if it is relaible enough to operate sensative equipment like a gps. Id wait till someone that has already done this chimes in before listening to my advice lol. But ya, all you should need is a rectifier providing your existing voltage regulator is sufficient.

by the way i think the polaris adapters are around 60 bucks

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
[attachment=96957:attachment]I made my own rectifier. I recommend you buy the Polaris part. Unless you want a :frech32: don't make your own. All AC 2-stroke sleds are AC, except if they are electric start, then AC~DC. Lightbulbs have no preference for AC or DC--they will do both. :lol2:

Attachments

·
Banned
14,035 Posts
All sleds use 12 v ac for the lighting etc... The best thing for you to do is get a regulator/ rectifier for any non powervalve cat sled with electric start (they are cheap) part number 0630-105, should be around $25 US It will bolt right in where your stocker is, and should plug right in, with yellow to yellow, and brown to brown, the red wire on the regulator is +12v DC, just hook from that to your gps, and run a ground wire to the chassis, or any brown wire.

Krom

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I looked over the wiring diagrams for my sled, and I was wrong....all the lights are on 13VAC. My sled was origainally equipped with electric start, but the starter, solenoid, and battery were not there. My sled uses a charging diode from 13VAC to the 12VDC side of the battery to charge it, I believe this is kind of like a trickle charger, and the output will not be able to run a 12VDC accessory.

I did look up that part number, and it shows up on what looks like all electric start AC sleds from 98 to present. Will this plug right into my wiring harness where my regulator is plugged in now? I mean are the wiring connections the same or will I have to cut and splice everything together.

Thanks for all the ideas, if the AC part mentioned will do the job, I will not be building my own or paying $60 for a polaris add on, as I see this AC part listed on Brown's for $39.95 Canadian.

Thanks again for all the help. This site rocks :beerchug: Prowler

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
see kroms post, he has the best explanation of what to do :div20:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I think the newer AC voltage regulator/rectifier will work great for me. Thanks again for the help. Prowler

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thanks for the part number I never knew about that before I will definetly be setting my sled up with one to run my GPS now. I would suggest grounding back to the wiring though not the frame. If I remeber right they use a closed lope system and if you ground to the frame nothing works but could be wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts