Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting a steering stablizer on my xr. Like one for an atv or motorcycle. Have you ever herd if anyones ever done that? It seems like sno-x racers would use them. What are your thoughts on the idea?

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I can only think of a few times when I would have wanted one..... hit a stump last season on one skis and it almost pulled the bars out of my hands..... and the season before that I hit a rock in poor snow conditions same deal. now on a street bike thats a differnt story! I have riden a 2001 zx 9 that had motor work done, every time it would pull the front end up in 2nd and 3rd it would come down into a tank slapper...... VIOLENT at that, no front brakes at all without a few pumps!!!!! long story short I just dont see a need for one with the type of trails I am on...

·
Registered
60 Posts
That really doesn't sound like a bad idea. With my sled I'm going to have quite a bit of bump steer and without the sway bar I can only bet its going to get worse. A steering stabilizer won't fix that, but will at least keep it from destroying my arm if I hit a bump bad. Whats a basic stabalizer cylinder go for?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
if you want to adapt one to your sled you should look at the Hyper-Pro dampers... they have variable damping and don't do a lot unless there is a hard hit then can go nearly to full lock in a fraction of a second... best type of setup for a sled since it is the single hits that would hurt us, not tank slappers... i've experienced many of those on my old race bikes (gsxr's mostly), they will make you stop and think about things when you get one back under control...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
your right sleds dont get tank slap like a bike. I think it it would work for race sleds pounding through 4 foot mougals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts