Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
05 Polaris Classic 600, 04 Polaris XC 700
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased this sled untested in the spring and since then I have replaced plugs, battery, new studded track, windshield, chain case oil, adjusted rear suspension and cleaned the power valves. It has just shy of 6000 miles on it with equal compression about 115 psi with a cheap tester. It runs and idles smooth, but when I loaded it onto my trailer just today, I let it idle for about 5-10 minutes while I checked everything over and found antifreze coming from the exhaust and some slight puddling underneath . I had notice the bottle was about 1/4 inch low since I topped it up in the springtime at time of purchase. Thinking o rings in one of the heads? Or worse?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You must identify where is originated from being an external leak it shouldn’t be that hard. I would clean it all off and take a fresh look for source.
If it's coming out of the exhaust, engine running, how is that an external leak?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
The ves 600 is the best but it does have some issues. Head orings burn cause the heads arent flat. I havent seen a stock head that was actually flat. Base gaskets are junk paper garbage. Cometic gasket kits have coated steel base or 2010 rush 600 steel base work for the ves6. I would be pulling that completely apart, checking bearings and replacing crank seals.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
If it's coming out of the exhaust, engine running, how is that an external leak?
You said the puddle was under exhaust not out of exhaust. So if you have antifreeze running out of exhaust . That means you have a it freeze being introduced into cyl. Which could be like stated. Orings in head , base gaskets , or water pump seal. I have fixed dozens of them with bad base gaskets and seen many misdiagnosed as orings although granted they do go and heads aren’t that flat. So what I would do if I was just trying to fix the antifreeze problem and nothing more. Would be to replace the base gaskets and throw new orings on top during reassembly. If you drain antifreeze and pull the head you maybe able to see a witness mark of the antifreeze bypassing the oring. Or a cracked or split or ring. If not readily visible them I’d pull the cyl. And do as I mentioned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You said the puddle was under exhaust not out of exhaust. So if you have antifreeze running out of exhaust . That means you have a it freeze being introduced into cyl. Which could be like stated. Orings in head , base gaskets , or water pump seal. I have fixed dozens of them with bad base gaskets and seen many misdiagnosed as orings although granted they do go and heads aren’t that flat. So what I would do if I was just trying to fix the antifreeze problem and nothing more. Would be to replace the base gaskets and throw new orings on top during reassembly. If you drain antifreeze and pull the head you maybe able to see a witness mark of the antifreeze bypassing the oring. Or a cracked or split or ring. If not readily visible them I’d pull the cyl. And do as I mentioned.
Sorry if I wasn't clear about where it was coming from. I'll edit that part of my original post. Can't see me just fixing the a/f problem without checking every thing else while it's apart Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
45,560 Posts
If you've had coolant sitting in the lower end forany period of time it isn't good. At 6k miles it could be the head o rings, the base gaskets, or even the water pump seal. Its a tough one to call as its early to be the water pump seal, which would require pulling the motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I think I know what I'm in for now. I am currently searching for a reputable Polaris tech in my area to do a complete rebuild. The sled is just to nice to not do it!

·
Premium Member
18,795 Posts
Thanks all. I think I know what I'm in for now. I am currently searching for a reputable Polaris tech in my area to do a complete rebuild. The sled is just to nice to not do it!
I just fixed a similar sled for a local customer. The cylinder head was warped .020". Max allowed is .003".
Make sure he has this checked, or rebuild will not fix it. I found it by doing a cylinder leakdown check. Bad cylinder was 12% leakage. Other cylinder was 4%. After milling head, now both are 4% which is normal.

It started as a slow coolant leak and the owner just kept adding coolant as he noticed it was getting low. This apparently caused an airlock and over heating until it warped the head.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just fixed a similar sled for a local customer. The cylinder head was warped .020". Max allowed is .003".
Make sure he has this checked, or rebuild will not fix it. I found it by doing a cylinder leakdown check. Bad cylinder was 12% leakage. Other cylinder was 4%. After milling head, now both are 4% which is normal.

It started as a slow coolant leak and the owner just kept adding coolant as he noticed it was getting low. This apparently caused an airlock and over heating until it warped the head.
Good info. Sled is going to rebuilder today. I'll have him check it out. I'm Also aware these 600s like to air lock and overheat after rebuilding them. But I'm sure he is aware of that also. Looking forward to having a totaly rebuilt and gone over engine for my sled this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts