Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Goes on and off real easy.. gonna change it to a red one though

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya. this was just a test now im gonna use some red strap and woodys backer... small hole drilled in flap so it comes off easy when not lake blastin'...

·
Registered
534 Posts
BTW:

I have a RED Patriot standard and my snow flap was sucked in twice and is all torn to H***. The thing was sucked in while trail riding under different (hard) accelleration conditions I suppose. I was hitting the throttle pretty hard, but didn't even reach a speed over 70 MPH during the hour I was out. The flap was sucked in on these trails which were mostly twisted trails.

There is a "snow pro" strap kit that costs about $6, that you can order from CAT if you don't want to use your own nylon strap and a rivet.

I'm hoping that CAT has a service bulletin out soon for the F7's about thie .flap thing, shoot the least they could do is send F7 owners the kit to avoid more damaged flaps. A new flap cost me $35.

Will AC reemburse me for the snow flap thing. Yes I've sucked in other flaps on other sleds, but this thing sucks the flaps in much easier and I have a standard and I haven't even been lake racing with it?

My friend who owns a F7 Sno-Pro version of the F7 also tore his flap up when it was sucked in. We haven't even been drag racing (much). It happened when we were trail riding. I think the blistering accelleration can suck in the flap as well as high speed running because for the trail conditions we've been on and occasional field drags, we've not been over 95 MPH in our drag races yet and still our flaps are toast.

We've both decided on doing our own home made fix and ordered one flap fix from Cat.

FLAP CAUSES ENGINE OVERHEATING CONDITION
I know it's a minor thing, but when the flap gets sucked into the sled it blocks the heat exchanger which is huge, but doesn't do much good when a flap covers it. The SES light goes on soon afterward because the flap blocks the radiator and the f7 engine goes into fail safe mode - reduced performance until you pull over, get the flap out and let the sled cool down.

I've had this happen twice and it caused me a bit of stress at first because I didn't realize the flap was blocking the heat exchanger and wondered if my fluid level in the coolant system was low or improperly bled. I burped the sled myself and have checked the radiator fluid levels and everything is fine, so the flap sucked in caused the overheating condition.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
sorry but Cat does not (well thats what my shitty dealer told me) warranty your flap and will not give you a new one. I am on my third one..UI have a god fix now though. I don't like the fix that is posted above I find it does not look good.thats my opinion though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iit does not look good at all but i am going to try and cut a slot in the flap above the letters and see how that looks.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
today when riding, my snow flap was sucked in too. this happened on my f5 with the 1 inch track, so i dont understand why it would do this. it happened when i came to a stop, then took off slowly again and heard the noise from underneath me. now i have black marks on my green snow flap that will not come off no matter how hard i try to clean it :angry:

·
Registered
125 Posts
was at the dealer today, he said Arctic Cat is makin New flaps that are stiffer and not so flimsy, my dealer said id be getting one soon for free i dont know about other dealers though (Sun&Snow new hartford NY)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is something i made with a ratchet strap, torch, nut, bolt, and washers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts