Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any issues with mixing oils? What if I'm running Amsoil and run out on the trail and can only find Cat oil. Is that okay? Nobody mention Blue Marble, any good, besides eco wise?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
should be fine...... only thing I've heard is going from synthetic to non-synthetic you shouldn't mix...

I've had arctic cat oil, polaris oil, and amsoil in my Firecat

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Originally posted by 94camarof1@Oct 10 2005, 07:24 PM
should be fine...... only thing I've heard is going from synthetic to non-synthetic you shouldn't mix...

I've had arctic cat oil, polaris oil, and amsoil in my Firecat
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=920851
[/quote]

Non-synth to synthetic is ok also. They make a 'synthetic blend' which is a mix of non-synth and synth oils.

Mixing oils is not as big a deal as many make it out to be.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Originally posted by SNOWMOTO33@Oct 10 2005, 05:54 PM
Any issues with mixing oils? What if I'm running Amsoil and run out on the trail and can only find Cat oil. Is that okay? Nobody mention Blue Marble, any good, besides eco wise?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=920754
[/quote]
I have been wondering the same thing and if I am thinking correct, you would be OK if you haven't leaned the oil pump out with the thinner synthetics like Amsoil. My experience has been that the consumption is changed considerable...to the point of seizure? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You can mix them. With the way our legal system has mucked up everything it has to say right on the container that it cant be mixed or not to drink it to protect the most stupid of people. In the late 60's Klotz used to say on its container if mixed with certain oils it would form sand like mixture but that is not the case anymore. It is smart for oil companies to make their oils mix with everything just for the conditions your describing

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
here is a little secret about oil, this goes for 2 stroke and also motor oil, The us military rules state that any oil it purchases has to be able to mix with other oils of the same WEIGHT( 10-30,10-40 ECT. and all oil companies want to sell to the military , it is the largest customer they could ever have. I fill my poo with VES oil out of a gallon at the truck before we leave. Then along the trail if i can get VES great , if not i look for another synthetic, if not available ill put it whatever i have to .I have been mixing oil for yrs , never had a problem

·
Registered
20,649 Posts
I have mixed about every oil made in a sled. Everthing from toro lawn and garden oil to ams oil synthic. I have never had a single problem from running differnt oils togeather.

·
Vendor
334 Posts
Originally posted by 720@Oct 11 2005, 05:22 PM
In the late 60's Klotz used to say on its container if mixed with certain oils it would form sand like mixture but that is not the case anymore.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=922800
[/quote]

Its true with Klotz. You were not to mix it in the 60's and 70,s for sure as it could / would have a chemical reaction and either gel up or do something funky just short of a genie coming out of the oil container telling you your screwed... :augen41:

But not anymore. Most all oils that I know of are compatable to mix with any other oil on the market. You can mix Klotz oil with other oils and not have a problem.
There are still threads that come along where people talk about sucking out oil before putting a different oil in or pulling off an oil line to drain the old oil out before switching over? Maybe there is a reason that I don't understand, but that seems like a lot of work and potential for unwanted problems?

I dunno.... :dunno:

G

·
you can mix just about any oil, just not with Klotz, some friends of mine had done some test on oils and how they mix with each other and klotz still doesnt mix well with other oils

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
you can mix oils in a pinch (like on the trail) but sometimes they are different densities and one may rise. when i have to mix diff oils i try to run the oil down about as low as i can then pour in the new stuff - and then i do the same thing when switching back to my normal oil. and yes, if you usually burn synthetic, then try to use synthetic as your substitute as well. just my $.02...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts