Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...looks like another lost weekend for me and my riding pals. Tried last weekend but a back breaking, rock raking experience and getting too old for that $hit. Saw long range forecast this AM and more warm air heading our way and no real snow in sight. I am very depressed right now.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I hear you. Most people season is over end of March. Thats less than 8 more weekends and I know a lot of people that havent even put on a mile yet. Looks like maybe a couple shots of snow next week that should help some trails, but its friggen mid 40's and sunny out right now with no wind. Feels like 60 degrees out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sux, rock riding some last weekend, but better than nothing.....a trip to Canada end of Feb is my glimmer of hope

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Well...looks like another lost weekend for me and my riding pals. Tried last weekend but a back breaking, rock raking experience and getting too old for that $hit. Saw long range forecast this AM and more warm air heading our way and no real snow in sight. I am very depressed right now.
Just drive up to Portage and head north. There is plenty of snow and trails are great. So you have to put a little more effort in this year....

·
Registered
317 Posts
That’s what I’m doing headed to caribou next weekend for 4 days. But I also get that’s not in the cards for some and local riding would be nice

·
Registered
900 Posts
Milli north is where ya need to go at a min, the county is mint right now, and even they don't have the snow depths they should have right now, If it wasn't for the county I would give this hobby up, rest of the north east just doesn't compare on many levels. It's just one of those winters.

·
Registered
137 Posts
School vacation week soon supposed to bring up the buckaroo's for some riding with grandma.. we are south of bangor and I'm having some serious concerns.. they are still a little young to trailer a couple hours and ride for the day. I hate the disappointment on their faces when this happens. But as in years past we can head over to the newport recreation center do some bowling and play some arcade games. Maybe go tubing.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
snow possible this time next week, but it's already changed a couple times, just yesterday it was looking more promising, so who knows

https://weatherstreet.com/models/gfs-acc-snow-forecast.php
I always keep my hopes up but pretty sick of seeing every storm possibility roll in with the flake next to a rain drop and the temps in the mid 30's. I'm beginning to get better at not getting my hopes up too much as this is getting depressing. Sure you can travel to the county but not all of us have the ability to run long distances and do overnights every weekend. Things like wood stoves, kids and dogs make it tough to get away like some of the lucky travelers. I'm not asking to ride out of my house here in Poland although that would be nice. When I drive 2+ hours and things still look like shit it's a real kick in the balls. I've done one overnight trip and a few trips to Oquossic. Its what I have to do if I want to ride at all but I hope this isn't how the whole year pans out? Just heard last night this is the 4th warmest Winter on record. November did have some cold weather. If the constant 40 degree days keep rolling in maybe we can shoot for the warmest on record? Being February 1st today and some great Spring type weather online for the beginning of next week I may have to start thinking Spring if this POSSIBLE Wed, Thurs, Friday snow doesn't pan out. I really don't think any of these days have the word storm on them. If it happens I believe we are talking about a few inches over 3 days? If any of those days are rain it might as well be nothing. Thank God for Bloody Maria's and IPA's!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm telling you what is going to happen is that March and April are going to be cold, snowy, etc. (basically a two month shift in Winter) but after the third week of March everyone plans to shut down and go on vacations that are running hotels and eateries, etc. and in Canada they stop grooming end of March. To add to that the sun angle increases and more daylight and the 'melt' is pretty severe from the sun. This is crazy but I've learned to shift my Winter Vacation plans to March over the past few years and it's worked out pretty well. I don't do the last two weeks of February because of the crowds from school vacation but I'm telling you March has been the best month the past 10 years.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I grew up in Standish. I remember the snow in the 70s and early 80s. now, we're getting snow in the county and you are getting rain. climate change. deal with it. for now it means more snow in the county. eventually we'll get rain in the county too. hopefully i'll be dead.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I remember the great snow in the mid sixties and early seventies. As a teen in the late sixties delivering milk in Lewiston with my father, for a week many roads weren't plowed and we used our snowmobiles to deliver to many homes.. Or as a senior in high school in Lewiston in 1971, riding after school and weekends I put 4,000 miles on my Arctic Puma riding around Lewiston.
Man am I sounding old!
Maybe old is good. Leaving tomorrow for two weeks of riding in Quebec.
mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
LOL the weather forecasters can’t even get the weather right a day from now. You seriously think they can get it right 30 years from now?. By the way the coldest month on record was February 2015. Colder than anything from the 70s

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm telling you what is going to happen is that March and April are going to be cold, snowy, etc. (basically a two month shift in Winter) but after the third week of March everyone plans to shut down and go on vacations that are running hotels and eateries, etc. and in Canada they stop grooming end of March. To add to that the sun angle increases and more daylight and the 'melt' is pretty severe from the sun. This is crazy but I've learned to shift my Winter Vacation plans to March over the past few years and it's worked out pretty well. I don't do the last two weeks of February because of the crowds from school vacation but I'm telling you March has been the best month the past 10 years.
My first time in Maine 13 years ago was the last weekend in March and it was awesome no bumps, they were taking signs down on Portage Lake as we were riding across it ! Best riding seems to be in March for me , roads and parking lots are the only issue

1 - 20 of 34 Posts