Hardcore Sledder banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,304 Posts
1Fast,, you have a point. If the ECU completes the ground circuit, since its down stream of the Pump (load), and its the only ground for the pump AND if the degraded fuel becomes more conductive to current flow so the pump uses the old fuel as the ground path.
Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking. I know the fuel pump doesn't come on until the engine is cranking. If the ECU is controlling the ground side there would be no ground path for static buildup inside the tank until the machine is tried to start.

A guy could also run a ground wire from the metal elbow where the fuel lines exit the tank to the chassis ground. This would at least bond the metal internals of the tank to the chassis.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
1Fast,, you have a point. If the ECU completes the ground circuit, since its down stream of the Pump (load), and its the only ground for the pump AND if the degraded fuel becomes more conductive to current flow so the pump uses the old fuel as the ground path.
Degraded fuel does not conduct electricity. You need the right amount of fuel vapors, and oxygen to make it ignite You need a static charge, or an arcing bad connection with those vapors to set it off. I can tell you, when you have cool dry air thats the best chance to produce a static charge. Trouble with a static charge your body can act as the ground.

·
Vendor
11,452 Posts
Ethanol wasn't a surprise in 2013. Either way this should be an easy one for a Polaris mechanic to figure out. The 2012's aren't recalled so what's different 2012 vs 2013?
2012 and earlier fuel pump ass'y are steel and the tank retaining ring. 2013 up all are plastic. the metal ones need the disconnect tool to remove inline filter. 2013 up does not need a tool to disconnect the in line filter? 2010,11,and12 have a polyester pick up sock as well? pro ride chassis.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Degraded fuel does not conduct electricity. You need the right amount of fuel vapors, and oxygen to make it ignite You need a static charge, or an arcing bad connection with those vapors to set it off. I can tell you, when you have cool dry air thats the best chance to produce a static charge. Trouble with a static charge your body can act as the ground.
You do know that flame itself can conduct electricity as well as the liquid and vapor. Warm damp air is more prone to static discharge than cool dry air. You will see static discharge more in the winter as it tends to jump further than in the summer.

Other than the fire triangle what you said is not the training I received when learning how to handle fuels and reduce static discharge.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
You do know that flame itself can conduct electricity as well as the liquid and vapor. Warm damp air is more prone to static discharge than cool dry air. You will see static discharge more in the winter as it tends to jump further than in the summer.

Other than the fire triangle what you said is not the training I received when learning how to handle fuels and reduce static discharge.
Thats false. Its just the opposite. Fuel is not an electrolyte and doesn't conduct electricity. Cool dry air is far more prone to carry a static charge. Your correct about your last sentence. Winter is cooler and less humid, the reason to see more static charges happening.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thats false. Its just the opposite. Fuel is not an electrolyte and doesn't conduct electricity. Cool dry air is far more prone to carry a static charge. Your correct about your last sentence. Winter is cooler and less humid, the reason to see more static charges happening.
So you're saying the entire industry is trained wrong and you are right

·
Registered
344 Posts
So now that the technical stuff is settled, are we all going to explode when we fire up our sleds this winter?
Since I’m now back to waiting to get my 22 snowcheck, I’m pretty sure I will explode when I finally get to start the thing. It seems like a perfect storm to have a problem and minimal number of injuries so I’ll take my chances with my recalled pro s if needed. Is it a sign of addiction when you just keep telling yourself it will be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Since I’m now back to waiting to get my 22 snowcheck, I’m pretty sure I will explode when I finally get to start the thing. It seems like a perfect storm to have a problem and minimal number of injuries so I’ll take my chances with my recalled pro s if needed. Is it a sign of addiction when you just keep telling yourself it will be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL. You wait a fricken year and a half to get your preordered sled, and the 1st pull of the cord it blows up. That would suck bigtime. 😵

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
LOL. You wait a fricken year and a half to get your preordered sled, and the 1st pull of the cord it blows up. That would suck bigtime. 😵
Yr 22 has been the worst yr to have snowchecked .... I finally received mine in mid March, season over! and the surprises just keep coming. I can see many saying ...SEND IT! I’m riding it! Has been an unforgettable experience buying my first and only brand new Polaris since 1992! (Snowcheck 92 SP500efi) Welcome back eh? Now there is a chance of being delayed again for the 23 season with recall stop /ride. Hoping for a simple resolution on this. My 92 even had its own story to tell. I snowchecked with the 500 deposit but dealer never ordered it! Winter was very near that year and everyone was getting there orders but mine didn’t seem to appear? Long story short was I was introduced to a long time Polaris rep at a show and told him my concern/story and he looked into it and called me back in two days to explain it was never ordered and the-sled that I thought was ordered was now being sent immediately ! I had my sled in 4 days. 500$ in free accessories ( back in 92) a deluxe sled cover I never asked for and a 3yr warranty! Just in time for winter to really hit. Where is that kind of service today!! This was all accomplished with a couple of phone calls by one person and no cell phones! Amazing ! Ended up going on a ride with that rep and many other Polaris people mid season and had a awesome time and ride across the UP of Michigan. Made a couple of long time friends from that experience. Good times / different times no doubt... our world is supposed to change as time passes but I never would have thought it would change in such a way that it has. Scary on how much we used to be able to have control in any Industry but but now we have total chaos and no direction with all the latest greatest technology and communication capabilities 😕

·
Vendor
11,452 Posts
Serious question for anyone that knows. Does the ECU provide the ground path for the fuel pump on affected models? If so, this may be part of the issue if static isn't able to discharge to the chassis. I don't know, just guessing.
yes ecu creates path to ground for pump to work. just like injectors are hot all the time. this is what i know as of right now. fuel pump flows fuel back to the tank when running. if the return is above the fuel then static can occur. tank is not grounded. this is just like filling a plastic fuel can on your tail gate. in a some of these the fire occurred when fuel cap was removed? spark was created when cap was unscrewed while running? so the low fuel after sitting from starting is creating the static spark. so either a ground wire or strap inside the tank would probably be the fix.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
yes ecu creates path to ground for pump to work. just like injectors are hot all the time. this is what i know as of right now. fuel pump flows fuel back to the tank when running. if the return is above the fuel then static can occur. tank is not grounded. this is just like filling a plastic fuel can on your tail gate. in a some of these the fire occurred when fuel cap was removed? spark was created when cap was unscrewed while running? so the low fuel after sitting from starting is creating the static spark. so either a ground wire or strap inside the tank would probably be the fix.
Yeah, you'd have to have a static spark to ignite the fuel vapors/ mixed with oxygen coming off the gasoline in order to create a fire, or explosive condition. Pretty hard if not impossible to create a fire inside a full tank of fuel.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts