Hardcore Sledder banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
3,057 Posts
West, Mid-West I couldn't tell you but Ethanol gas here in Maine "SUCKS" If you burn it up right away it's good junk. Let it sit more than 3 months and it's losing ground fast. Take 2 seasons with it left in a tank and you're asking for trouble. Maybe some people have seen other results but I've learned what I've seen the hard way. The extra I pay for it is well worth it. One of the worst lessons with E-Gas here is learned with your generator when you lose power and think you're going to go fire it up to make the family happy putting the lights back on. Pull the cord again and again, pull, pull, pull, pull....... Swear, Swear, swear, swear...... Call the mechanic for him to look at generator and he's backed up cleaning generator carburators with all the people bringing them in with the same problem. Since filling up with Non-Eth and stopping using that E shit she fires right up every time. Happy wife, happy kids, Happy me!!

Same story with chain saws, weed whackers, mowers and blowers but that only pisses me off. Not so much the family. ;)
Idk, i rode trips in maine to nb, and into gaspe quebec, never had fuel issues, even when my last fillup was in maine and the sled sat for the rest of the year after getting home. That was back around 06.
Just saying in general the shit is garbage to leave in anything long term over two seasons. Am I saying that every sled will be fucked that is put away with Eth Gas in the tank over the Spring, Summer and Fall months? "No" Take it with a grain of salt and realize I'm not making any statements here as the golden rule that your sled will be instantly fucked putting it away with Eth Gas in the Tank.

The lesson was learned with all the other things I mentioned. The Generators, Weed Whackers, Chain Saws, Mowers, Blowers, etc, etc.
Did every one fail on me after long storage. "NO" Have I had plenty of cases of issue after long storage with many of the seasonal used motors mentioned. "Yes"
I haven't had Boat or Sled issues ever and I believe this is because I have never put them to bed for the Season with the Eth gas.
It's my mechanic that tells me and shows me how bad this gas is when it has separated and become stale and complete shit.
He has shown me gas lines, gaskets, diaphragm's that are chewed and corroded by this stale E Gas and filters plugged with the crap that has deteriorated.
Don't have to believe me on this if you don't want to. I have little care there.

Just because my mechanic that runs a small engine shop tells me this wasn't enough to convince me right away.
What was convincing though was when I started using nothing but Non-Eth in all my small engines and "NEVER" had a single issue starting after a long season off ever again.
If you love Eth Gas and have never seen the issues I mentioned, then that's great and even better that you save money buying that corn fuel.
Most people have heard of the differences between Non-Eth and E fuels. Some believe and others don't, I guess.
I have great reasons to believe what they say is true because I have learned with all my small engines the hard way.

Running a business at that time had me owning and using 3-4 each of generators, mowers, whackers, blowers, chain saws I guess has my odds of testing up a bit.
I'm just thankful now that all my shit starts and runs great when I need it to since I started using only Non-Eth in my shit.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
It must be depending on region folks live and ride that they have fuel storage issues.I have never had problems with storage. Ethanol fuel gets put in full tank and treatment with just sta-bil and run though system. I store in a stable inside environment so I think that helps. So many factors involved that ya have no idea of how people are actually storing things off season. I have vintage sleds that rarely get run once or twice a year and I continually replace the fuel in them throughout the yr, treated of course or so some get stored completely dry only. Never an issue. No matter what, store them full with treatment or completely dry run out of fuel. IMO. Only half or one quarter full even treated is not good as your leaving room for temperature and humidity changes to do bad things inside a tank walls effecting the fuel quality and life span. I always try and fill up at the end of a days ride during the winter season as it leaves no room for Condensation as temps fall during the night especially when left out overnight. Just look at a tank half full or less in the morning after a days ride you normally see a frost line across the tank at current fuel level in tank... there is frost or moisture in side the tank also! Not good. This process also happens happens to a certain degree all yr long if left not completely full when stored. Ethanol’s characteristics actually attract moisture when tanks are not full.
Same here. Could be the specific spot where one is filling up. I try to get my fuel at a place where the pumps are busy.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Just saying in general the shit is garbage to leave in anything long term over two seasons. Am I saying that every sled will be fucked that is put away with Eth Gas in the tank over the Spring, Summer and Fall months? "No" Take it with a grain of salt and realize I'm not making any statements here as the golden rule that your sled will be instantly fucked putting it away with Eth Gas in the Tank.

The lesson was learned with all the other things I mentioned. The Generators, Weed Whackers, Chain Saws, Mowers, Blowers, etc, etc.
Did every one fail on me after long storage. "NO" Have I had plenty of cases of issue after long storage with many of the seasonal used motors mentioned. "Yes"
I haven't had Boat or Sled issues ever and I believe this is because I have never put them to bed for the Season with the Eth gas.
It's my mechanic that tells me and shows me how bad this gas is when it has separated and become stale and complete shit.
He has shown me gas lines, gaskets, diaphragm's that are chewed and corroded by this stale E Gas and filters plugged with the crap that has deteriorated.
Don't have to believe me on this if you don't want to. I have little care there.

Just because my mechanic that runs a small engine shop tells me this wasn't enough to convince me right away.
What was convincing though was when I started using nothing but Non-Eth in all my small engines and "NEVER" had a single issue starting after a long season off ever again.
If you love Eth Gas and have never seen the issues I mentioned, then that's great and even better that you save money buying that corn fuel.
Most people have heard of the differences between Non-Eth and E fuels. Some believe and others don't, I guess.
I have great reasons to believe what they say is true because I have learned with all my small engines the hard way.

Running a business at that time had me owning and using 3-4 each of generators, mowers, whackers, blowers, chain saws I guess has my odds of testing up a bit.
I'm just thankful now that all my shit starts and runs great when I need it to since I started using only Non-Eth in my shit.
I agree leaving ethanol past 2 season your asking for it. One season doesn't seem an issue. I always add some stabil if not using my sled, or any stuff like a chainsaw, or weed whacker for a year. If so then its time to get out the MIB.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Really we know everything thing ya need to know and do to store sleds and what not during off season but do most folks actually do it?? Again, I’ve never had a issue. Like above none of my storage fuel goes past being left in for more than the offseason.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have not used eth forever. If it was fuel related, why only Polaris? Something bigger than just old fuel.
Yup. We can type posts all day about fuel, but this is more than a fuel issue. I suspect that it's a combination of factors. I can't remember if anyone posted the notice yet, so I pasted it below. They clearly mentioned "degraded fuel" and extended storage so that is a part of the mystery, but something about specific Polaris snowmobiles compounds the problem and makes it potentially explosive. Time will tell.

Font Screenshot Document Number Parallel

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Yup. We can type posts all day about fuel, but this is more than a fuel issue. I suspect that it's a combination of factors. I can't remember if anyone posted the notice yet, so I pasted it below. They clearly mentioned "degraded fuel" and extended storage so that is a part of the mystery, but something about specific Polaris snowmobiles compounds the problem and makes it potentially explosive. Time will tell.

View attachment 2135600
This recall appears more like a fuel pump issue, or the wiring to it. Reminds me of the cell phone deal, or leaving your car running when pumping gas.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
1,059 Posts
When they started blending ethanol in with gas, it ate the fuel sending unit in my 2005 Tahoe. Dealer’s parts manager said they were selling sending units like crazy. Did not seem to affect other brands like it did Chevy.
This may just be a Polaris thing, or it may not. It seems to be so rare that it may just be Polaris has a lower threshold than the others as to what they deem worthy of a stop ride/recall order.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,304 Posts
Some 2012 and earlier models had a DC CFI system. That could be one reason. Recalls may only be required to go back 10 years for something like this also. Who knows 🤷🏻

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Serious question for anyone that knows. Does the ECU provide the ground path for the fuel pump on affected models? If so, this may be part of the issue if static isn't able to discharge to the chassis. I don't know, just guessing.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
When they started blending ethanol in with gas, it ate the fuel sending unit in my 2005 Tahoe. Dealer’s parts manager said they were selling sending units like crazy. Did not seem to affect other brands like it did Chevy.
This may just be a Polaris thing, or it may not. It seems to be so rare that it may just be Polaris has a lower threshold than the others as to what they deem worthy of a stop ride/recall order.
I dont know where you live but they have been blending ethanol with gas since the 90s around here.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Serious question for anyone that knows. Does the ECU provide the ground path for the fuel pump on affected models? If so, this may be part of the issue if static isn't able to discharge to the chassis. I don't know, just guessing.
Generally an ecu is protected in a metal shielded case of some sort, which must be grounded to a vehicles chassis. I would think the fuel pump would be also in some manner.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
No I mean does the ECU switch the ground on and off for the fuel pump to operate? Ecus often provide the ground path for various electrical components. If the fuel pump had a dedicated chassis ground and the power was supplied via relay there would be a path to dissipate static buildup.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
No I mean does the ECU switch the ground on and off for the fuel pump to operate? Ecus often provide the ground path for various electrical components. If the fuel pump had a dedicated chassis ground and the power was supplied via relay there would be a path to dissipate static buildup.
I would think the ecu circuit, and the fuel pump are all tied in to the same chassis ground. Except for being grounded, the fuel pump is independent from the ecu. The ecu has many functions other than just triggering the fuel pump on.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
I would think the ecu circuit, and the fuel pump are all tied in to the same chassis ground. Except for being grounded, the fuel pump is independent from the ecu. The ecu has many functions other than just triggering the fuel pump on.
You aren't getting what I'm saying.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
1Fast,, you have a point. If the ECU completes the ground circuit, since its down stream of the Pump (load), and its the only ground for the pump AND if the degraded fuel becomes more conductive to current flow so the pump uses the old fuel as the ground path.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
You aren't getting what I'm saying.
I dont know if it was this thread 60 posts back or another thread where I mentioned somthing about this.
If thats the case it could potentially be an easy fix to plug a pigtail in between the main harness and fuel pump harness with an additional wire running to ground.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts