Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, maybe not that much snow but some models are predicting 6-10" in the metro for next Tues / Wed...

·
Registered
958 Posts
I remember that storm in 1991 quite well.

Was in Fargo that morning, having breakfast at the Perkins along I-29 and the guy ahead of me at the cashier said "I just hope I can make it home", and I thought... what the heck is he talking about? The sun was shining and it was an absolutely beautiful day.

Heading back to the Twin Cities, it started snowing in Fergus Falls, snowing really good in Alexandria, and I pulled off at St. Cloud for lunch at Mickie D's and the snow was up to the bottom of the car. Almost didn't get back on the interstate, passed a bunch of vehicles in the ditch, and dragged my front-wheel drive company vehicle back to Richfield on pure willpower.

Gnarly.

Meanwhile, points south were in complete darkness because it was all ice and that decimated the power grid.

As much as I like snow, let's not do that again :bc:

Maybe we can share some of that 6-10 with Wisconsin.....

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took my behind the wheel driver's test in that blizzard. Had the joint to myself and easily passed as the lines were covered in snow....LOL Went for a quick rip in the ditch that night. My older brother's friend rode their Enticer over to our house and I took it for a quick spin in about 6-8" snow, spent the whole next day getting my Bravo buried.

·
Registered
2012 TZ1 Touring
866 Posts
That storm made a mess in Massachusetts as well. Lots of leaves on the trees still, lots of broken branches and downed wires. No one had plows ready, lots of scrambling.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Plows are ready where I work. I just hope the temps get cold and stay cold this year. That warmup in January was crap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40,070 Posts
That storm made a mess in Massachusetts as well. Lots of leaves on the trees still, lots of broken branches and downed wires. No one had plows ready, lots of scrambling.
Wasn't it 2011 when we got that big halloween nor-easter snowstorm? Could remember all the trees down with no power for a week. 18'' of snow. Lucky we have a generator integrated with our service so it wasn't so bad. Lot of people had really a tough time.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I hope not, i could use a month of good weather to get my pole barn up. I've been in a holding pattern the last 6 weeks waiting for it to dry out enough to get the pad laid.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,434 Posts
In 1991, my family was living in the northern side of Apple Valley that year, and my parents were building a new house in Lakeville about 10 miles south of their current home.

My dad drove his 1947 Minneapolis Moline to plow snow at the new place, and I followed on my 1972 ATX at the time, right down the middle of Cedar Avenue (If any of you know AV, that was a stop light filled 4 lane highway through town).

When we got to the house, they had put the roof on in the days before, but no windows yet, and the inside of the house was filled with 6' drifts everywhere. Needless to say, they waited until spring to finish the place, after putting the windows in.

Never forget that one!

·
Registered
2012 TZ1 Touring
866 Posts
Wasn't it 2011 when we got that big halloween nor-easter snowstorm? Could remember all the trees down with no power for a week. 18'' of snow. Lucky we have a generator integrated with our service so it wasn't so bad. Lot of people had really a tough time.
Yup - 2011

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take this image with a grain of salt, I think this is the same outfit that predicted a big storm the first week in October, course ND did get it in the 2nd week. Still nothing on NOAA...

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
In 1991, my family was living in the northern side of Apple Valley that year, and my parents were building a new house in Lakeville about 10 miles south of their current home.

My dad drove his 1947 Minneapolis Moline to plow snow at the new place, and I followed on my 1972 ATX at the time, right down the middle of Cedar Avenue (If any of you know AV, that was a stop light filled 4 lane highway through town).

When we got to the house, they had put the roof on in the days before, but no windows yet, and the inside of the house was filled with 6' drifts everywhere. Needless to say, they waited until spring to finish the place, after putting the windows in.

Never forget that one!

Wow, never forget that Wild Halloween adventure. I too, lived in Lakeville at that time with my family. Had a '87 Indy 600 triple, that was used in keeping the Halloween tradition intact!!!!BTW, isn't Cedar Avenue like 8 lanes wide now in AV? I certainly remember the days when it was a dirt road past cty rd 42, and the 'ol plank bridge going over the river and up into Bloomington!!

·
Premium Member
2019 Pros switchback
2,399 Posts
Yep remember 91 storm well!!
Had been married for just a year and wife’s birthday is nov 1st.
I was out riding on her birthday!!
She still reminds me every year!!!
Been 28 years now!!!
That winter if I remember right sucked rest of year!!
Rained couple weeks later I think?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Same here, no base or frozen ground.
I am hoping for a trip over Christmas this year for north of lake Vermillion. Please let it get cold soon and stay cold. The snow always seem to come just never gets cold enough until January.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
[email protected]‘19 Indy XC 600’s
337 Posts
Yep remember 91 storm well!!
Had been married for just a year and wife’s birthday is nov 1st.
I was out riding on her birthday!!
She still reminds me every year!!!
Been 28 years now!!!
That winter if I remember right sucked rest of year!!
Rained couple weeks later I think?
I'll be gone for a couple hours......
well it was a bit longer than that!!!! She was less than impressed after being stuck in the house all day with a crabby 6 month old! It comes up on occasion :mad:

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,434 Posts
Wow, never forget that Wild Halloween adventure. I too, lived in Lakeville at that time with my family. Had a '87 Indy 600 triple, that was used in keeping the Halloween tradition intact!!!!BTW, isn't Cedar Avenue like 8 lanes wide now in AV? I certainly remember the days when it was a dirt road past cty rd 42, and the 'ol plank bridge going over the river and up into Bloomington!!
Cedar is 6 lanes with left and right turns, so technically 8 now yes.

The bridge over the Minnesota River is still there, used as a walking/bike path, still floods over every couple years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts