Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to tow a friends '06 600H.O. S/B with less than 1,000 miles on it home tonight. Will pull it apart tomorrow. Making a serious ratcheting noise . Update for cover support was not done .
ontflatlander

·
Banned
8,931 Posts
Not to be rude, but why didn't you wait to post until you know cause and effect or had questions ?

Or are we supposed to rag on the dude for not doing the chaincase cover update ? Doh.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to be rude, but why didn't you wait to post until you know cause and effect or had questions ?

Or are we supposed to rag on the dude for not doing the chaincase cover update ? Doh.[/b]
Sorry if I offended you . Just relaying a problem . Doh. Pulled the case today and found a broken chain adjuster. Not too serious . Can't see the new support bracket doing much to help this . Any twisting or flexing of the plastic cover is a potential adjuster problem.
ontflatlander

·
Registered
107 Posts
So how many times should you check your chain tension? (And yes, I've tightened mine so not everyone, like you said). I would think the chain wouldn't stretch too terribly bad...

·
Banned
8,931 Posts
Sorry if I offended you . Just relaying a problem . Doh. Pulled the case today and found a broken chain adjuster. Not too serious . Can't see the new support bracket doing much to help this . Any twisting or flexing of the plastic cover is a potential adjuster problem.
ontflatlander[/b]
No offending. Just not much we could do to help or learn from the start of your thread.

I am an offender of waiting 1200miles before checking chain tension. Was as loose as a goose. I got lucky !!!

Chains really should (and yes, I know better) be adjusted after a couple hundered miles from new and then probably 500-1000 from there. Chains do stretch a lot from new and we do abuse them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, but what and how should you check the chain?

I'm not mechanically savvy, but what do you have to check on the chain tension to make sure it's okay? I mean, if you ride the sled conservatively, do you really have to check the chain tension every week?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
When your sled is new, you 'll want to check it after a few hundred miles. After that, you don't have to check it so often. I check the tension on my snowmobile and my wife's snowmobile at the start of every season. Usually, neither sled needs any adjustment, but at the start of this year, the chain on my Pro-X had to be tightened a bit.

If the chaincase on an IQ SHift is like other Polaris chaincases, adjustment is simple. You'll see a bolt coming out of the side of the chaincase (pointing toward the front of the sled). It'll have a nut on it pressed against the chaincase and a head on it (like a regular bolt). Loosen the nut that rests against the chaincase (on my Pro-X, it's a 9/16" nut), and then tighten the bolt BY HAND. Once it's tight, loosen the bolt 1/4 turn, then tighten the other nut against the chaincase...

... or you could look at your owner's manual under "Drive chain adjustment."

If you'd like me to post a picture of what the adjuster bolt looks like, let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts