Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding today and started hearing knocking noise ever so slightly. At first I tried to ignore it but just kept getting worse. Stopped and popped the hood and sure enough very bad sounding banging noise. My guess is a loose rod. Rather than shell the case I towed it 10 miles off the mountain. What a bummer! I dropped it off at the shop and they will open it up tomorrow and see what is up. Now my rant... LOL... this is my first Cat and I have to say that performance wise I like it but attention to detail in regards to the manufacturing process sucks. I have had several different bolts fall out and blew the shocks in the first 200 miles. To be honest my Summit other than the piston recall, and me tearing it up at the Eldora hill-x, has been rock solid. I dare say that IMHO Ski-Doo seems to build a more durable product. Don't get me wrong I hammer my F7 in ways my Summit would never stand but the stupid stuff like that factory not lock nutting bolts, using bolts that do not even penetrate a nylon nut, and not loctite'ing anything else is poor attention to detail. I'm hoping I am wrong on the knocking noise and maybe it flaked a reed or something but I know that sound and it's not a good one :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add another one to the scrap heap. My buddys F7 just came out of the shop after a week of fixes.(rear shock ,recoil, temp and oil lights on) Told everything is fine. 2 miles onto Sacandaga Lake after a good warmup and poof, engine locked up. Got it running on one cylinder and onto the trailer. Dealer now has it in the shop apart. Don't have a damage report yet, but sounds like another meltdown. Machine has 180 miles and has spent more time in the shop than on the trails. Owner seriously considering a different sled.
:( :( :(

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an internal knocking sound. I will bet it's a rod...

·
Banned
135 Posts
Boy would I be pissed. 1500 miles on mine so far and 360 pound4ed on it yesterday and all that has happened is an idler wheel fell off. Far better than my last doo.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So not to be a jerk but why do peeps feel the need to post that they are having no problems? If you want to post about what you think may be wrong with mine or share similar experiences then great. I am happy that you all are having no problems... GREAT! Start another thread about how you are so happy and are having no problems. I'm hoping to hear back today what is going on and I will post when I do but in the mean time... start your own happy thread LOL!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Originally posted by duke1n@Jan 27 2003, 05:53 PM
So not to be a jerk but why do peeps feel the need to post that they are having no problems? If you want to post about what you think may be wrong with mine or share similar experiences then great. I am happy that you all are having no problems... GREAT! Start another thread about how you are so happy and are having no problems. I'm hoping to hear back today what is going on and I will post when I do but in the mean time... start your own happy thread LOL!
we post that we are having no problems so that others will see that there are problem free sleds on the snow....I understand your are mad and frustated .....just no need to take it out on us that aren't. Its nice to see that there are others without problems...gives you comfort that the world is indeed not coming to an end. Remember were in america and you do have the right not to read posts that you find misplaced, but I also have the right to post....sorry about your sled, hope everything is ok.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is this a site a soap opera or what? I think I am going to go change my vote about PMSing women or whatever it was about. I am neither mad nor frustrated. I have other sleds to ride if worse comes to worse. Bottom line my F7 has had waaaaaaaaaaaay to many fasteners come loose and/or fall out. Cat should buy some stock in the Loctite company LMAO. It's not rocket science is it... use freakin bolts that are long enough to at least pass through the nylon on a locking nut GFC! Use F'ing lock washers if you are not going to Loctite the fasteners! Sounds like the knock was not a rod and in fact the the recoil had lost 4 out of 5 fasteners and was about ready to fall off. I guess now only checking 80% of the fasteners on the sled is not enough. My goal now is to pull as many fasteners as I can each week and Loctite or lock washer them.

PS How about the rubber ball that supports the pipe? A high school shop student could figure out that a RUBBER ball sandwiched between hot metal surfaces is a bad idea. Let's hear someone make the case that was a good idea... Forget spark plugs you better stock up on balls!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Duke 1,

I know it's hard to explain a knock but are you familiar with pinging?

Easiest way I can explain is something that sounds like a bunch of marbles in a metal can.

Engine knocks can make different sounds, depending on where the knock is coming from.

If you have a dr. friend with a stethascope, you might be able to determine where it's exactly coming from.

Questions...

Is the knock constant, at idle? Does it change under load? Does it get louder under load?

If it's pinging, you will hear it the best at WOT. Cause is a lean condition in the cylinder/s. Not a good noise.

Hope this helps and sorry to hear about the problem your having.

Also, all you boys that feel you need to reply with "look at me, no problem, this many miles...blah, blah, blah...need to get bitch slapped!"

Guarantee, the last thing you'll want to hear when your ass is stranded or having a problem is someone saying....hehe, mines running fine!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great sled other than the problems, I know that why I traded my F7 for a Zr9, love the power of the 9 and handling, a little heaver not as agile but well worth it for me. Hope things work out for you,keep us posted on your F7.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yo, like I said it sounds like it is the recoil which was about to fall off. It was a weird noise. Could not really pinpoint it. I have heard loose rod bearings knock before and it kind of sounded like that but seemed to only resonate at a certain RMP where rod knocks get ugly at RPMs. I hope that is all that it is. In know what pre-ignition sounds like that and it was similar but not the same. I'll find out tomorrow for sure. Hope it is fine because I have taken days off next week to ride my arse off Fri and Sat and then hit the X-Games finals on Sun. Going to be a great weekend. I want to be riding my F :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by duke1n@Jan 27 2003, 10:13 PM
Is this a site a soap opera or what? I think I am going to go change my vote about PMSing women or whatever it was about. I am neither mad nor frustrated. I have other sleds to ride if worse comes to worse. Bottom line my F7 has had waaaaaaaaaaaay to many fasteners come loose and/or fall out. Cat should buy some stock in the Loctite company LMAO. It's not rocket science is it... use freakin bolts that are long enough to at least pass through the nylon on a locking nut GFC! Use F'ing lock washers if you are not going to Loctite the fasteners! Sounds like the knock was not a rod and in fact the the recoil had lost 4 out of 5 fasteners and was about ready to fall off. I guess now only checking 80% of the fasteners on the sled is not enough. My goal now is to pull as many fasteners as I can each week and Loctite or lock washer them.

PS How about the rubber ball that supports the pipe? A high school shop student could figure out that a RUBBER ball sandwiched between hot metal surfaces is a bad idea. Let's hear someone make the case that was a good idea... Forget spark plugs you better stock up on balls!
enjoyed your post, but come'on :D You thought your F7 was dead... A rod? and it turns out to be a loose recoil, LOL. No prob, welcome to the HCS Ladies Aid Society :p
And as to the rubber ball? Polaris uses the exact same thing.. don't know about the others. I don't see any kind of problem there.. Lasts for many thousand miles.

I have to say I dig this site also.. I love all the action, and I think Cat guys are the greatest sledders out there. Thanks, guys, for all the entertainment :lol: B)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Duke1n, Sorry to hear about your sled bro. I know your frustration. I am another one of those pain in the ass whiners on this board that know the inside of my local AC shop better than my local trails. After every ride my sled is back in the shop for a week for new CLUTCHES. Hopefully it is not as bad as you think and they will have it back to you soon.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Polaris is a joke Rob! LMAO!

I want someone to defend every freakin bolt fallin off their sled in 400 miles, now you come on. My guess is that you trail riders just don't ride your sleds hard enough to loosen them up hahaha JK

You're all invited out west for the duke1n intro riding class where you will study the fine art of getting your trail riding, tail kicked in less than 10 miles without nary a trail in sight. When we're done you'll feel like a two bit slut who just walked out of a NFL locker room. Now who wants to enroll?

All in good fun :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts