Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took great care in breaking in this sled. I was bleeding the coolant system weekly. I can assure you that there was NO air in the system. I went out lake running yesterday to see what the sled could do. I warmed the sled up for 10 minutes and then went on to the lake. I took it real easy for a couple of miles. The heat exchangers were hot as normal everything was good. I proceeded down the lake on and off the gas going around 75-80 mph. I ran for approx 8 miles and than I let her go. The speedo climbed to 112 mph and didn't stop climbing, I backed off and started to burp the throttle. At about 40 mph, it just died. I thought it was a smart valve issue because the sled pulled over easy. I waited about 5 minutes and started it back up, no problem. I decided to head back to my truck, and on my way back the same thing happened. As I was coasting to a stop I felt the heat exchangers, they were dead cold. Can you say seized. Has anyone questioned the small hose leaving the cylinder head which returns to the coolant tank ABOVE the coolant line with NO check valve. I would like to ask GLS if this line maybe could bring air into the system under high flow condition? Wouldn't the fast moving coolant entering the head act like a siphon in respect to the small line. I am adding a check valve to this line from a Polaris overflow line even if its not the problem. I am on 2 weeks holidays and I have a sled with 140 miles on sitting at my dealer with no top end on it. By the way, I was towed back 6 miles to my truck by a 94 Storm and did that ever draw a crowd.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I feel for you. I just got mine back – new cylinder and piston. A week and haft waiting while it snowed like a sob.

I had almost 300 miles on it before it seized. I warmed my sled up for about 10 minutes. The running boards were warm and I was only going 30 – 40 mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know how you guys fell. I booked a week off of work to go riding and mine spent that week in the shop getting fixed. The least that could have happened was they could have given my a loaner. I'm contacting Arctic Cat manufactures my self and I hope that you will do the same. When a sled dies with 300 miles on it something is wrong. Maybe they will recall the things or find out what the problem is. Eather way Its us getting screwed and I think that they sould know how we fell about it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey there w8tn4snow, this is the Manitoulin connection, I am logged under the name Boom. Too bad I blew my belt today, I am sure I would have gotten 3-4 mph more today. Yesterday i ran 1800 to 2000 ft and got 112 easily, with that crappy used belt i barely pulled a disgusting 109 today. With you on nit we should have seen 116 to 117, but that is all theory. Lindsay whooped some butt today, but I will let him tell you

Boom Of Manitoulin

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Originally posted by w8nfsnow@Dec 28 2002, 05:37 PM
I took great care in breaking in this sled. I was bleeding the coolant system weekly. I can assure you that there was NO air in the system. I went out lake running yesterday to see what the sled could do. I warmed the sled up for 10 minutes and then went on to the lake. I took it real easy for a couple of miles. The heat exchangers were hot as normal everything was good. I proceeded down the lake on and off the gas going around 75-80 mph. I ran for approx 8 miles and than I let her go. The speedo climbed to 112 mph and didn't stop climbing, I backed off and started to burp the throttle. At about 40 mph, it just died. I thought it was a smart valve issue because the sled pulled over easy. I waited about 5 minutes and started it back up, no problem. I decided to head back to my truck, and on my way back the same thing happened. As I was coasting to a stop I felt the heat exchangers, they were dead cold. Can you say seized. Has anyone questioned the small hose leaving the cylinder head which returns to the coolant tank ABOVE the coolant line with NO check valve. I would like to ask GLS if this line maybe could bring air into the system under high flow condition? Wouldn't the fast moving coolant entering the head act like a siphon in respect to the small line. I am adding a check valve to this line from a Polaris overflow line even if its not the problem. I am on 2 weeks holidays and I have a sled with 140 miles on sitting at my dealer with no top end on it. By the way, I was towed back 6 miles to my truck by a 94 Storm and did that ever draw a crowd.
w8tn4snow,

All I can say is I am sorry. I do everything you are doing now that I have my new top end. My buddy would trade his 03 ZR 800 EFI in for an F7 in a second if he didn't have to loose sleep about the Gremlins that conspire to blow em all up...

It is very scary and disheartening to read about someone like you who was doing everything he was supposed to do and like I said, I do it too...10 minutes of warm up...feel the running boards on both sides, etc...check all the fluids constantly...and it still shits the bed on you....

Did your dealer burp it and all that Jazz correctly before you rode it? Were you running 93 Octane? Were you in Regular or Ethanol Mode? I know I am stabbing in the dark, but I am curious?

Good luck with it. :(

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bosssho,

I was running 92 Octane with no ethanol content. The first time it tightened up I was running in the regular mode. The second time it died I was running in the ethanol mode. The same problem happened to my dealers own sled. He says it's probably not a mixture issue as much as an engine temp problem. The mag piston was scuffed almost all the way around which means no oil or high coolant temp, my piston was still very sticky with synthetic oil and the oil feeder line to the mag cylinder was still full with no air in it. Maybe the sled makes so much heat its not easy to get rid of it. Who knows!

To confuse things even more, my dealer questioned an over cooling situation. He says there could be an in rush of relatively cold coolant which enters the hot head first due to the reverse cooling system. I guess that means the cylinder would contract and scuff the pistons.

Who the Hell know's at this point in time but I hope someone can figure it out ASAP. We do a lot of lake running in my area and if the sled can't run 10-12 miles in around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle its no good to me. My 01 ZR 800 never missed a beat.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Yeah, My 02 ZR 800 never missed a beat either...Hopefully they get the damned thing back to you asap...good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
:angry: my f7 only whent 30 miles at under 5000 rpms .when the motor completly let go.the dealer said there was extra parts in the case.it completly destroid the motor.A.C. is giving me a new crate motor.that was in november;(still waiting)

·
Registered
485 Posts
:blink: There's more going on here than little air bubles, ethanol switches , smart valves,etc., etc., I think, sit back and watch what develops here my guinea pig friends :wacko:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts