Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 500 classic with no starter switch and no keys, can i get it started with the switch? what do i do to check the system for a no spark scenario? where to look for, and fixes? the motor has 122 psi in both cylinders, needs carbs cleaned and maybe take out tank and flush it out then fill with new gas. any info would be great... Thanks, jim l.

·
Registered
40,384 Posts
I think you''d have to pull the wiring harness plug from the key switch assembly, then use the recoil pull rope to fire it up. Otherwise your going to need a new key switched key assembly to make it right. Oh yeah, make sure the kill switch is off to when you try to start it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, great. the switch IS missing so unplugging done. I just fixed recoil, spring broke at far end, easy fix., Now for carbs and fuel cleaning. should i be able to see spark with kill switch off? And if it's dead where to check first?? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
There will be no spark with the kill switch off Unplug the key switch, the kill switch, and the throttle safety switch. That should give you fire if everything else is working.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, it has been sitting for a few years, my son bought them for parts but now he wants to see if we ( I) can get 1 running, been so long they can't find registration for it.

·
Registered
40,384 Posts
There will be no spark with the kill switch off Unplug the key switch, the kill switch, and the throttle safety switch. That should give you fire if everything else is working.
Just unplug everything ignition related switch on the bars and key. Should have spark at this point. If not stator or cdi unit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
checked stator and it's at 163 ohms, should be 162.. no spark at all. must be cdi?? now i'll have the kid find a cdi box....that will show him!

·
Registered
40,384 Posts
Make sure all the wiring coming from the stator is good to the cdi and hooked up. I guess its possible to have a bad cdi, but of all these fuji 488l/c's i've worked with i never had a bad one. It was usually a wire, or open stator ignition coil.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
could rust behind the flywheel cause no spark? it has been parked for years, nobody there new how long. when i fixed the recoil there was a ton of rust falling out the whole time, and i did buy a flywheel puller if it might even be able to pull it off.

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,244 Posts
First try unplugging thd blake/white wire with the white round single plug going from cdi to stator wiring. It will be mid point. That for sure eliminates any kill wires to work.
Yes if sitting outside, rust on stator coils will create a problem.
image_01.png
image_01.png
image_01.png

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, did that, no spark. i will assume that there is alot of rust behind flywheel, the ohms are right on but that wouldn't matter if its all full of rust.

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,244 Posts
Rust is possible. Good news is if you need a cdi box, there plenty of those sleds around for parts. Bad cdi is possible but its not common on these sleds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts