Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the experience. I called BMP and asked to order a new 3" quiet muffler for my XF 9000 Turbo. They said they had just got some in from their manufacture. When placing the order I asked for a new gasket and they said the new unit does not use a gasket it is a V-band. I explained I had a flange and needed a gasket. They said it would not work. I said how can you sell something and not have a replacement part available only a couple years later? They said they didn't. I told them I was willing to purchase an entire new system if they could give me a reasonable deal. They said they would have to talk to their GM to see what they could do. He said he would either call me back later that day or early the next morning. Guess what no call. So two days later I call them, and they say the best they can do is $600 plus shipping and tax =$650 ish. So $650 to get my sled back up where is should have been about $300 for a new muffler. Why won't they stand behind their system/products and provide replacement parts? :wall: I know OEM has to for seven years. I don't get it but from now on my money will be spent someplace other then BMP so buyer beware. I was reading in another BMP complaint how things were different when Erick was still the owner, well I agree I dealt with Erick in the past on other issues and I'm sure he would have made this right somehow.:mad:

·
Banned
33,383 Posts
I can't for the life of me, even after reading this 20 times, understand what it is you're complaining about.
Not getting a gasket for a v band muffler?? That makes no sense.
Or not getting a completely new exhaust for dirt cheap because you didn't want to use some ultra copper rtv for a gasket on an old system you bought used and in pieces?

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To clarify

Sorry, to clarify. I wanted to purchase a replacement muffler for my 3" Bikemen exhaust. When I called to order I found out they changed the design and I can not use the 3" Bikeman outlet that I have with their new muffler design. So I figured I would purchase a complete kit if they could make the price fair [since I only really need a new muffler not a complete system]. The replacement muffler sells for $400 dollars I did not feel I should have to pay $600+ to get a replacement system just because they don't supply a replacement muffler for their older outlet. I even told them $500 would have been reasonable to me. It would be like taking your car or truck to the garage for just a new muffler figuring a couple hundred dollars and they tell you that you have to replace the whole exhaust because they changed something and it will now cost you $600. Hope this explains. I've worked in manufacturing for over 25 years and I believe oem's have to supply replacement parts for 7 years after the last production date. Yes I know they are not oem, Just saying. And just a note: I have used a lot of BMP on my sleds with no performance problems. Current sled has clutching, tune and exhaust all BMP. Good products just need to work on customer service a little.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Hmmm. Call them up and ask them how much for new style muffler and to refit the old exhaust to the new flange. I don't know anything about your application so this might not even be possible but seems that if it is you would be able to get muffler and flange done for 500 then you have new set up they get thier money everybody wins. Just an option..... Maybe

·
Banned
Cat SX
15,895 Posts
Actually, I don't think any company is "required" to keep aftermarket replacement parts longer than the warranty and the parts replaced under warranty. It is usually in big business' best interest to do so due to "planned obsolescence" being pretty unpopular with consumers. In small business, it is usually not feasible and pretty unwise to try to stock or recreate old parts and pieces for replacement items for small items. And in this matter, I think that is the case. There's no way most companies can survive to try and do this. I'm more than sure the item in question is outside of their warranty and probably a discontinued part in the first place.

In other words, I think this may be a bit of an unreasonable complaint.

·
Vendor
600 Posts
Here's the experience. I called BMP and asked to order a new 3" quiet muffler for my XF 9000 Turbo. They said they had just got some in from their manufacture. When placing the order I asked for a new gasket and they said the new unit does not use a gasket it is a V-band. I explained I had a flange and needed a gasket. They said it would not work. I said how can you sell something and not have a replacement part available only a couple years later? They said they didn't. I told them I was willing to purchase an entire new system if they could give me a reasonable deal. They said they would have to talk to their GM to see what they could do. He said he would either call me back later that day or early the next morning. Guess what no call. So two days later I call them, and they say the best they can do is $600 plus shipping and tax =$650 ish. So $650 to get my sled back up where is should have been about $300 for a new muffler. Why won't they stand behind their system/products and provide replacement parts? :wall: I know OEM has to for seven years. I don't get it but from now on my money will be spent someplace other then BMP so buyer beware. I was reading in another BMP complaint how things were different when Erick was still the owner, well I agree I dealt with Erick in the past on other issues and I'm sure he would have made this right somehow.:mad:

Please PM or e-mail me your name so I can see what's going on. The V band muffler system is an upgrade as the bolts were a big pain. Things change quickly in this industry, and we wanted to only upgrade people to a better flange. I remember Mark asking me about this quickly while I was on the other line. I simply told him we have to upgrade you to the v band. I assumed he had taken care of it and did not have a message to call you. I can create a muffler for you with the old flange, but it's 3-4 weeks out for build time then coating. Normally I just sell guys the entire system at the price of the muffler. This is somewhat of a special situation and I apologize for it not being handled correctly. Mark was only doing what he thought was right. Talk to me and I'll take care of you.

While I could ramble on a few pages about customer service issues with the past GM you speak of, I'll only say that I can guarantee our service went up about 200% within the last year and a half. We are a small sales crew but we get things done and take care of our customers.

Thanks!

-Mike

·
Registered
527 Posts
I hate to say it, but i thought the offer BMP gave you was pretty good to sell you a new exhaust system for the price of the muffler...hey that is alot better than what i got...i would take it....just my opinion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
ok but ive been waiting about a month for a response about a pipe...sorry to say but how do companies like this stay in business especially when they have such a good dyno to test with...i guess people will put up with anything these days..sorry bmp i wanted to give you guys a chance but if $600 bucks dont peak your interest well im out..i remember when the racing and tinkering of sleds was all hush hush and you actually needed results to sell products...i guess those days are over...good luck and i hope everything gets straightened out

·
Vendor
600 Posts
Jer928s should be posting here soon(he said he would and was vey happy... might be waiting for the exhaust to arrive) Once I knew his last name and could look up his order history I gave him a call right away and we are shipping his exhaust out.

ok but ive been waiting about a month for a response about a pipe...sorry to say but how do companies like this stay in business especially when they have such a good dyno to test with...i guess people will put up with anything these days..sorry bmp i wanted to give you guys a chance but if $600 bucks dont peak your interest well im out..i remember when the racing and tinkering of sleds was all hush hush and you actually needed results to sell products...i guess those days are over...good luck and i hope everything gets straightened out
How did you send the message and who was it directed to? We normally reply as fast as possible. With the holidays we have been trying our best to keep up but sometimes are 1-2 days behind on e-mails. A month seems like something really went wrong, it's just not normal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Correct Mike, more than happy now with your service. As long as my parts show up we should be all square again. Very good follow up and corrective action. I will be more then happy to do business again with BMP in the future.

Thanks Again Mike for making it right.

A saved customer,

Jerry

·
Vendor
600 Posts
i sent it to your bikeman canada website prob around late november

must have got lost in the mail lol

That is our Canadian distributor Don's Speed Parts. Since they are our largest stocking Canadian distributor, we let them run the bikemanperformance.ca website. These companies are 100% separate. This does reflect poorly on us because of the website.

They did have an issue with one employee who was recently let go. I will bring this post up to them and let them know I am not happy with the situation.

Please send me an email on what you are looking for and I'll help you out.

Thanks!

-Mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
well ok....i was not aware of your second party running your company website here in canada...and i totally agree that with this new found info it definately does not reflect bikeman directly...i however applaud your company for addressing this issue in a prompt manner..i will email you

·
Registered
124 Posts
just wanting to give a shout out to Mike at BMP for the support he has given since the little mix up we had earlier....just wanted others to know he has went above and beyond to straighten everything out...i would gladly do business with BMP in the future

1 - 20 of 22 Posts