Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard about people having ice in the sled but now im just kind of annoyed...

I started my sled this morning and went for a little spin, clunk phwack clunk, ice being thrown around in my engine compartment, this is the first sled I've ever had this on and i havent even done any real powder riding...

WTF if i have to clean out my sled everyday im gonna be p/o'ed lol

·
Registered
671 Posts
get used to it. i take it this is your first yamaha 4 stroke?? they get ice build up from the exhaust under the seat. we have had 4 strokes since 03 and we have never had any problems/damage from this but i know its annoying just get used to it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. dumb?
2. shouldn't have to get used to
3. its my first 4 stroke but not my first snowmobile either way that doesn't have anything to do with this. ice shouldn't be building up like this inside the engine bay.
4. its not the ice under the seat im talking about.
5. damage CAN occur when there is ice chunks flying around INSIDE of your engine bay.

anyone have anything useful to say?

·
Registered
129 Posts
i see alot of people complaining about ice build up. I don't know where you people ride but i have had ice build up on every sled i have ever owned at one point or another. on my rev and mach z the snow dust would melt off the exhaust onto the steering and bind it up. snow melts into water, water freezes when it cold get used to it

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have had it happen a lot on 2 strokes also. I have never ever had it do any damage in 20 years of riding even tho it sounds like your suspension is going to fall out. I hope this post is usefull enuff for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ride everywhere, and I've never seen this except on a rare occasion on any of the sleds that we've had in the family for the past 40 years.

its not the suspension, i wouldn't care if thats what it was, but when ice chunks are flinging around, hitting wires, brake lines, coolant lines, electrical wires, oil lines and griding on the belt If you don't think its an issue you'd have to be a nut, this isn't like an old 2 stroke with a big space in the front where only the muffler sits and just melts that crap away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ride everywhere, and I've never seen this except on a rare occasion on any of the sleds that we've had in the family for the past 40 years.

its not the suspension, i wouldn't care if thats what it was, but when ice chunks are flinging around, hitting wires, brake lines, coolant lines, electrical wires, oil lines and griding on the belt If you don't think its an issue you'd have to be a nut, this isn't like an old 2 stroke with a big space in the front where only the muffler sits and just melts that crap away.[/b]
Be fore I rode the sled I siliconed all the gaps around the the front bumper and stuff and do not get alot inside, I am concerned about the amount under the tunnel. Has anyone tried to spary the tunnel with so sort of spray to stop the snow from sticking?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
ummmm. The yamaha tunnel has no brake, electrical or other critical lines to hit.It is completely sealed off from the bulkhead where all the critical components are.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
who's talking about the tunnel? not me... the ice is where all the critical components are...especially the oil line by the looks of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
who's talking about the tunnel? not me... the ice is where all the critical components are...especially the oil line by the looks of it.[/b]
This is who was talking about the tunnel. And I think you are hurting your chances of people trying to help you out if you keep making it sound like what they say is stupid...you asked for help and thats what they are trying to do man. :D

Be fore I rode the sled I siliconed all the gaps around the the front bumper and stuff and do not get alot inside, I am concerned about the amount under the tunnel. Has anyone tried to spary the tunnel with so sort of spray to stop the snow from sticking?[/b]

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
In theory, ice flying around could break a plug or two, damage wiring or find its way to the clutches.[/b]
You COULD fall off a ladder and break your arm tomorrow...

Thread starter: I have never seen any damage done by ice under the hood. And my engine compartment is always filled with snow and ice. Like the others said, you're just going to have to get used to it.

Yukon,

·
Registered
26 Posts
You COULD fall off a ladder and break your arm tomorrow...

Thread starter: I have never seen any damage done by ice under the hood. And my engine compartment is always filled with snow and ice. Like the others said, you're just going to have to get used to it.

Yukon,[/b]
Are those pics of you Yukon? if so sweet...looks like the one is heading for a hard spill

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyway, so much ice under out runnels because we dont have a big heat exchanger/rad under the seat anymore....i was wondering if there was a way to help some heat get from the exhaust to the tunnel to help melt all the ice in the tunnel...

personally I havent found the tunnel ice to be an issue for me yet...it is inconvenient tho.

only one person made a helpful remark, so until I hear something other than get used to it? what should I do? just say thanks, you telling me to get used to it is very helpful....

I don't think everyone appreciates this issue, our engine compartment is so packed together that when theres ice in there, its creating pressure and exherting everything in there, and theres no room to wiggle around, its always hitting something, including tons of exposed lines and wiring.

100 miles of ice rubbing on a oil line or cooling line can go right threw and then you're really in for it.... I wish i could take some pictures, but I already have some wear on some lines that ill have to look at replacing, and I only have 160 miles on the sled.

I'm not sounding my horn for nothing, It is causing damage...

·
Registered
26 Posts
anyway, so much ice under out runnels because we dont have a big heat exchanger/rad under the seat anymore....i was wondering if there was a way to help some heat get from the exhaust to the tunnel to help melt all the ice in the tunnel...

personally I havent found the tunnel ice to be an issue for me yet...it is inconvenient tho.

only one person made a helpful remark, so until I hear something other than get used to it? what should I do? just say thanks, you telling me to get used to it is very helpful....
I don't think everyone appreciates this issue, our engine compartment is so packed together that when theres ice in there, its creating pressure and exherting everything in there, and theres no room to wiggle around, its always hitting something, including tons of exposed lines and wiring.

100 miles of ice rubbing on a oil line or cooling line can go right threw and then you're really in for it.... I wish i could take some pictures, but I already have some wear on some lines that ill have to look at replacing, and I only have 160 miles on the sled.

I'm not sounding my horn for nothing, It is causing damage...[/b]

Your right man the people that are saying "get used to it" are not being real helpful but it is imput and letting you know that they have not found a way to resolve the issue at hand. But this guy:
Be fore I rode the sled I siliconed all the gaps around the the front bumper and stuff and do not get alot inside, I am concerned about the amount under the tunnel. Has anyone tried to spary the tunnel with so sort of spray to stop the snow from sticking?[/b]
Has a pretty good idea and there was not even a reply question to ask him how that has worked out for him. Well how has it Rocketman? I am concerned with this problem as well not on the same level as you because unlike you I have not bought my sled yet I am still doing the research but I can say I am deff. leaning toward the Nytro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your right man the people that are saying "get used to it" are not being real helpful but it is imput and letting you know that they have not found a way to resolve the issue at hand. But this guy:

Has a pretty good idea and there was not even a reply question to ask him how that has worked out for him. Well how has it Rocketman? I am concerned with this problem as well not on the same level as you because unlike you I have not bought my sled yet I am still doing the research but I can say I am deff. leaning toward the Nytro.[/b]
Going to spray tunnel this weekend and I will let you know.
I think the snow on the oil side is comming from the vent in the pan, I sealed mine off and not 1/2 as much snow, I and sure we could find a vent kit to fit this with prefilter material to help cool the oil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Going to spray tunnel this weekend and I will let you know.
I think the snow on the oil side is comming from the vent in the pan, I sealed mine off and not 1/2 as much snow, I and sure we could find a vent kit to fit this with prefilter material to help cool the oil.[/b]

Yeah cool man keep us posted :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
It has been said that siliconeing everything underneeth will do it. However, there are those who have the belly pans, something I want on every sled I own, and they said they are not having anywhere near the build up that we are. I've found a little snow in there, but not too much. Hope this helps man, you said your sled does exactly what you want it to, as far as handleing, hope you can get this resloved.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think with that being said, I'm thinking about getting the additional skid plate...and then prefiltering some area's.

Silicone on the gaps etc will be last option I suppose.

I hadn't thought about pre-filtering, thanks for the idea rocketman, you can get some filter from a local hardware store i imagine. just cut it to size and silicone/hot glue etc into place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The silicone spry did not stop the snow from building up in the tunnel ,oh well will have to live with it. Still working on the set up and need to get it to rev higher

1 - 20 of 21 Posts