Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Welp, they finally demolished the old Telemark Resort! Thanks to a generous $250,000 "donation" from Wisconsin Taxpayers! You might wonder what the plans for the property are going forward, well wonder no more: Telemark Outdoor Recreation Property | American Birkebeiner (birkie.com)

Do these folks live in the same reality the rest of us do? LOL!! Do they not see the explosive growth of the powersports industry and how much income they are ignoring? As a comparison, look at what Ely MN, yes you read that right, ELY freakin MN is doing for powersports. Ely is the gateway to the BWCA and yet even they are wise enough to realize that catering to EVERYONE is the way to be successful. Ely's trailhead facility can be seen here: Multi Trail Facility to be located at the west entrance of Ely, MN This is what our tax dollars should go for, not just for silent sports.

tr 1.jpg tr 2.jpg tr 3.jpg

·
Premium Member
39,080 Posts
That place did well over the years and I suspect the new 1 will also do okay, not my cup-of-tea but 10's of 1000's come to this area to Ski and Mountain Bike, it will be used year round.

·
Registered
230 Posts
we stopped in there once years ago while on the sleds, very cool place but you could tell we weren’t the people they were trying to cater to. In its hayday that place must have been something. The stone fireplace was a sight.

·
Premium Member
39,080 Posts
we stopped in there once years ago while on the sleds, very cool place but you could tell we weren’t the people they were trying to cater to. In its hayday that place must have been something. The stone fireplace was a sight.
You could almost fit a Jeep into it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Kind of sad to see the Telemark go, although it hasn't been maintained in a L-O-N-G time... Had a friend that used to do the Birkie and it was always fun to see the lodge. A group of us even tossed around the idea (while drinking) of buying it and making it a power sports friendly place, year-round.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The Birkie foundation has some serious money behind hit......likely more then most of us realize. With that said, the facility they built on OO just outside of Seeley is very nice and definitely a value add to the area. While I am a powersports enthusiast to heart, I certainly understand not every investment into the area will cater to my taste. I'm just thrilled that the "what's going on" chapter is behind us with Telemark and wish the new development nothing but success.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a comment regarding Ely... Its reputation as the epicenter of anti motorsport recreation does not fit with the majority of the full time residents of the area. The views of full time residents around Ely is more in line with the rest of the Iron Range, where they vote Democrat because of the ties to labor unions. But, they actually have conservative political view points on many individual topics...personal freedoms, gun rights, etc.

Ely is surprisingly well setup to navigate around and through on snowmobile in my experience. If I remember correctly, there is kind of a bypass main trail around town and a trail through town that is a groomed unplowed alley making it pretty easy compared to some cities.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Ely also has a new atv club that is very enthusiastic and have been building some great new trails

1 - 8 of 8 Posts