Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last year i blew up my sno-pro and i was using amsoil. Dealer said it wasn't a mechanical failure and there were only 100 miles on it...pissed me off. Don't want that to happen to this sled...what do you think?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i also have a 02 440 sno-pro, this is a race animal, and comes with no warranty!!
i had the chance to buy a 03 440 sno-pro, but the engine tech at cats plant told me no way could it be trail ridden, although they may have a trail kit in january,
$8,100.00 out the door for the 03, lots of dough for a 440 you cant even trail ride, and comes with no warranty
but for the oil issue, i dont see how cat would ever know, why would your dealer rat you out, he would loose your buisness!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
It doesn't matter even if they know. They have to warranty your sled as long as you used oil that met their requirements...it's the law. It doesn't have to be their oil. Marc

·
Registered
147 Posts
They can tell what oil you used by a lab test.
I was going to use Amsoil in my MC 900 (I even drained the reservoir down to a safe level and filled with Amsoil injector) while doing clutching adjustment and carb adjustments, I would pull the spark plugs to check the wash and plug color I did'nt like what I seen!
The plugs were gunky, piston tops were too, so I drain the reservoir once again and poured in the APV oil (Syn) since then the plugs and the piston tops are much cleaner - "I also drained the fuel tank 100-1 mixture with Amsoil and put 100-1 APV oil mixture" I have'nt had the snow to go out yet.
I know you can get Amsoil cheaper than Cats oil & my son uses the Amsoil racing oil in his MC 800 piped, high compression heads w/o problems and is clean - but a trail machine I think I'll stay with APV oil.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Manufacturers can't tell what oil you have to use. I run Amsoil in both my race and trail sleds with ZERO problems. I am also a dealer and have set up most of my friends and they all run it also. Do you by your car or truck oil from the Ford Or Chevy dealer? Why would you buy a bid oil, meaning whoever makes it the cheapest for them to their specs. Why not use one of the best oils available for half the price? If you think the Cat oil is better, than you like spending more money for an inferior product. I'm on my 12th cat and I have purchased ONE gallon of their oil back in '94. Any synthetic oil will be fine in any sled made as long as its TC-W3. I have run Klotz, Torco, Castrol, and Penzoil. Couldn't really tell that much difference from any of them except smell. Although the Torco semi-synthetic left more carbon deposits than Klotz does. I'm not saying Amsoil's the best(it probably is), but its very good and very reasonbly priced. By the way, anybody remember 2001, trying to get their valves out while running the stock oil? I never cleaned my valves all year.(Amsoil) B)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Iam not here to piss any one off, but! a lab can tell you what oil you used and if you don't believe me call a oil lab and ask them.
all oils have a "signature" - all they have to do is compare lets say cats oil with amsoil and they can tell the difference.
This cost money whether the oem wants to pay for it or not.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Finnbear, I'm not saying they can't tell, but Arctic Cat can't void the warranty if you use a different oil. Its against the law, just as Team Arctic said. Even the manual says "recommended oil", not "only" oil. Then they cover their butt by saying "any oil used in place of the recommended oil could cause serious engine damage."

·
Registered
64 Posts
I USE KLOTZ,GREAT OIL/GREAT PRICE,I FILL MY OWN JUG AT MY DEALER,BUT I USE A FLEXIBLE SPOUT FROM A POO OIL JUG... :lol:

·
Registered
743 Posts
I run klotz, I took apart my old motor after it sat all summer and the klotz was still on the pistion and in the jug, they say it bonds to metal better, And I was told by my dealer that Amsoil can make the valves stick!

·
Registered
323 Posts
amzoil it works great little or no smoke at all and dealer said it would be fine with the warrenty

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use it in all my sleds, and dealer told me it wouldn't affect the warranty.. So i use it

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use Amsoil. It burns clean, works great. I went through the warranty issue with my dealer last year until I brought in a copy of the law that says they cannot require you to use AC oil for warranty. You don't think it has something to do with their having a large inventory of $33. AC oil do you? ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts