Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the comparison of my buddies and my sled engines that rode side by side for 4700 miles. He used all Arctic Cat APV oil. I used Amsoil HP for the first 2500 miles and Interceptor for the last 2200 miles. Both sleds are 700 EFI, driven the same speed, the same outside temperture, same snow conditions etc. We decided to freshen up the top ends as a precautionary maintiance at 5000 miles. When we took them apart the power valves were very clean on both. When we took the cylinders off his was starting to wear and mine you could still see the cross hatching in the cylinder walls. His wrist pins had to be tapped out and mine pushed out with a finger. He is showing blow by on the piston and mine shows none. He had a lot of coking under the wrist pin where mine is clean. We are sure his would have gone down before the end of this season, where mine showed no wear at all and really didn't need to be done.

The difference was really quite noticable that there was superior lubrication with the Amsoil. My buddy has now switched to Amsoil and is a believer. This test was not planned but was done over two seasons and is in my opinion very accurate. We were both strong belivers in our oil and used nothing but what was stated 100% of the time. My sled burned one tank of Cat APV oil, the one that came in it from the factory.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ThankYou smclelan ijust got a 06f6 and was thinking of switching to amsoil because of the problems i had with the power valves on my 03f5 that is all the proof i need :flag_usa: :HCS_rules:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Very interesting comparison.

Were you running identical fuel/oil ratios? Had you wanted to that would have been easy to monitor if you were frequently riding together.

Both sleds bone stock, identical mod's or different mechanically in any other way?

:dunno: Not disputing your findings but just looking at other ways your results could have been effected aside from oil quality.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I've used amsoil for 3 years now!!! Would NEVER go back!!!

Be prepared to used more oil though, I found that you burn a little more amsoil then Cat Apv when used on the exact same sled.

·
Banned
21,471 Posts
Very interesting comparison.

Were you running identical fuel/oil ratios? Had you wanted to that would have been easy to monitor if you were frequently riding together.

Both sleds bone stock, identical mod's or different mechanically in any other way?

:dunno: Not disputing your findings but just looking at other ways your results could have been effected aside from oil quality.[/b]
I don't need to be sold on Amsoil ... been running it for 4 years now. This is a great post (thanks smclelan) :beerchug: I do agree with MUSK though - it would be interesting to know what both sleds were running for fuel/oil ratios & if they had the identical stock or mod settings.

Regardless - very interesting post with good information. Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The guy on here that sells it is 02man98. I am ordering two cases tonight.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I don't see this as proving a whole lot. The piston on the left has some serious blowby issues from poor ring sealing. In turn, the piston heated and spotted the underside. This is an issue of poor ring sealing rather than a lubrication issue. Here's a piston out of a Polaris xc600 with 6000 miles. It was run on $10 per gallon Injex. What does it prove?

[attachment=277306:piston.jpg]

·
Registered
442 Posts
The guy on here that sells it is 02man98. I am ordering two cases tonight.[/b]
I just made my order from Ken yesterday... He has good prices for all products. I ordered some oil for my trucks as well. Good guy to deal with.

Now just have to figure out what to do with some of the leftover AC oil?

ciao for now.
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Were you running identical fuel/oil ratios?

Both sleds were bone stock, no mods, identical except he had a 128" track and I run a 144". Fuel oil ratio?? they were both factory set. He would burn about 1 litre in 125 miles and I would burn 1 litre in 110 miles.[/b]
I don't see this as proving a whole lot. The piston on the left has some serious blowby issues from poor ring sealing. In turn, the piston heated and spotted the underside. This is an issue of poor ring sealing rather than a lubrication issue. Here's a piston out of a Polaris xc600 with 6000 miles. It was run on $10 per gallon Injex. What does it prove?

I was just showing there was wear happening in the other motor from the oil, when you add in the fact of the wrist pins, and the wear on the cylinder walls, it is a lubrication issue. Both sleds were brand new when we started this so if it was poor sealing it was like that from the factory. I don't think if it was that bad it would have gone for 4700 miles.[/b]

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've run the interceptor for 20,000 plus miles and was very satisfied with the results. Another bonus is the price is reasonable. Now I don't have to worry about oil because it's 4 stroke yamaha all the way.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Now this is where the Amsoil hype gets out of hand. The engineers at Arctic Cat and Suzuki aren't going to spend millions developing an engine package just to market an oil that wears out an engine in 2000-3000 miles. Besides, they have to warranty what they sell. This stuff makes engine builders just shake their heads in disbelief.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Now this is where the Amsoil hype gets out of hand. The engineers at Arctic Cat and Suzuki aren't going to spend millions developing an engine package just to market an oil that wears out an engine in 2000-3000 miles. Besides, they have to warranty what they sell. This stuff makes engine builders just shake their heads in disbelief.[/b]
OK......so explain the differences then

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
OK......so explain the differences then[/b]
It is possible that the one with blow-by wasn't broken in properly, or that it was overheated at some point. I find it hard to believe that using Cat oil caused that blow-by, because I have seen pistons (with more miles than that on Cat oil) that looked great. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
It is possible that the one with blow-by wasn't broken in properly, or that it was overheated at some point. I find it hard to believe that using Cat oil caused that blow-by, because I have seen pistons (with more miles than that on Cat oil) that looked great. :dunno:[/b]
Exactly. If Greg Spaulding can't choose a proper oil formulation, then how on earth can he lead an engine development team to create the 500, 600, 700, 800, and 1000cc motors for Cat. Bottom line is this, all the JASO C approved motor oil do a good job at protecting an engine. I'm not saying Amsoil is a bad oil, I'm simply saying this crap about it far surpassing everything else is hogwash. Just look at the photo I posted. That's a 6000 mile piston out of a modified motor which was run on mineral oil. No blow-by and still within spec.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.