Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of the polaris VES oil and I am thinking of switching to amsoil. All of my friends use use it.
I would use the interceptor synthetic oil. They say it is a good idea for everyone in the garage to use the same oil.

anyone switch from polaris VES and notice a difference.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i do im happy with it. alittle pricey but good stuff. i use the dominator.[/b]
I used up the gallon of VES that the guy gave me with my sled. I can't imagine VES is cheap.
any good oil is about $30 a gallon, right?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I switched... I like it... I buy it by the case under AMSOIL's dealer program so it is like $5.90 a quart... I do not have the VES so I do not know 100% that you can run it... If you do switch remember that AMSOIL makes several different types of 2 smoke oil... I would suggest the Interceptor, as it is designed for everyday use. Dominator is designed for use in racing engines... engines that will be torn down and inspected regularly...

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I used up the gallon of VES that the guy gave me with my sled. I can't imagine VES is cheap.
any good oil is about $30 a gallon, right?[/b]
Amsoil can be had for cheaper than 30.00 (generally delivered to your door)

Theres a dealer on here who sells it real cheap. As you are browsing the forums, look up at the advertisers... You'll see him.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I switched and the amsoil is great stuff, If you shop around it can be found for less than $30 a gallon. The Interceptor is what you want to use, the dominator is for racing applications not trail riding. I have been running amsoil since I burnt through the tank of oil that came w/ my sled and have not had any problems.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
the dominator oil may cause some deposites in the combustion chamber if ran at low speed. but i have ran the dominator racing oil in my sled for the last year and i love it. also the smell, the dominator is not too strong smelling when it burns but the faint smell is to die for. but not as good smelling as 110 octane in a high comp race motor.

·
Registered
44,329 Posts
A buddy has been using amsoil in his polaris 600 sleds for years...says its very good..no issues. I have been using spectro syn-sno for nearly the same amount of time...very good also...both of us have put on a fair number of miles over the years on our sleds without any failures due to bad oil.. Like most synthetics...you got to fog them if not using them for long periods...especially summer storage.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Interceptor is of less quality then poo ves.

Has weaker corosion protection, will do allright on stock engines but anything over 160 hp your pushing what the oil can handle for heat and film strentgh.

Not to be used on higher reving engines.

I have a gallon and a half of interceptor, anybody wants it can pick it up at my house. I won't even use it in my weedwacker.

I have taken a few engines apart, interceptor engines showed the most piston scuffing and the parts were almost dry feeling, the oil runs off and doesn't seem to stick well.

I went to interceptor, scuffed my pistons, put new pistons in with my old oil and beat the daylights out of it and didn't scuff the pistons.

Many rusted crank failures over summer storage on snow west, all had interceptor.

Take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
60 Posts
my friends used it in there sleds i wont use the stuff because it leaves the bearings and everything real dry from what ive seen..and ive seen a few people run it and there motor blew then they ran diffrent oil and thye beat it harder and its still going but i have seen people run it with out problems so i dont know really i run bg prod oil in mine

·
Registered
354 Posts
i dont know one from the other but i did take a 02 edge 500 down to install 600 jugs and pistons at 5100 miles and they showed no sign of wear.i actually sold them.they were run on interceptor for the last 3500 miles.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Ive read all this 'leaves it dry' internet banter so i tried something in the fall. I had to change reeds and with the reeds out i could stuff my fingers inside the intake port and up the cylinder walls. Guess what.. nice oil film. The piston skirts look good and looking down the intake ports at the rods and crank i see zero signs of rust and i dont fog in the spring. Its had only Amsoil for the past 3400 miles also.

Amsoil states if you have an engine failure due to lubrication issues they will pay for it. Has anyone collected on that?

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Been using it for 4 years. No problems. With that said, I am going to use Klotz in my new sled. I don't know if it's any better, but at least it smells better. I thought I saw a report that said Interceptor was the cleanest for power valved sleds, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Interceptor is of less quality then poo ves.

Has weaker corosion protection, will do allright on stock engines but anything over 160 hp your pushing what the oil can handle for heat and film strentgh.

Not to be used on higher reving engines.

I have a gallon and a half of interceptor, anybody wants it can pick it up at my house. I won't even use it in my weedwacker.

I have taken a few engines apart, interceptor engines showed the most piston scuffing and the parts were almost dry feeling, the oil runs off and doesn't seem to stick well.

I went to interceptor, scuffed my pistons, put new pistons in with my old oil and beat the daylights out of it and didn't scuff the pistons.

Many rusted crank failures over summer storage on snow west, all had interceptor.

Take it for what its worth.[/b]

If your not going to use it I will gladly take it off of your hands :thumbsup: .

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I am switching back to Polaris Gold for this year after being a Amsoil faithful for about 5 years. When I lost my motor on the asphalt over the summer that had been ran on Amsoil I couldnt believe it. I dont want to go into details but I ran Valvoline regular oil in it the rest of the summer... had to do a few tear downs in between and WOW... That is some EXCELLENT OIL! If it was synthetic for good valve operation I would use it all the time. I ran Polaris Ves 2 for pre-mix in my grass motors before, and it truly is good oil. It hurts at $36 a gallon, but the motor will live longer instead of having rusted crank throws, dry upper crank rod bearings... etc...

Edit: That motor was ran on Interceptor. The Dominator is GREAT... but only for racing aplications.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
If your not going to use it I will gladly take it off of your hands :thumbsup: .[/b]

Sent you a pm with my phone #

700edged, piston scuffing do to oil failure is seen on the exhaust port side, where the piston is hottest.

Like I said before it will work ok on stock lower hp engines, keep it away from modded higher hp engines, or engines spinning alot of rpm. Thats when it will break down.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I am with Al on the Amsoil. And I can't belive he still has it on the shelf, I remember it being offered up over a year ago!

I have good luck with Ipone.

·
Registered
44,329 Posts
Been using it for 4 years. No problems. With that said, I am going to use Klotz in my new sled. I don't know if it's any better, but at least it smells better. I thought I saw a report that said Interceptor was the cleanest for power valved sleds, but I may be wrong.[/b]
I've had our buddy do the valves on my sled during a season using spectro syn-sno..vs. his using amsoil....can't really claim one is cleaner than the other with similar use. Both interceptor and syn-snow have low stink low smoke also.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Sent you a pm with my phone #
700edged, piston scuffing do to oil failure is seen on the exhaust port side, where the piston is hottest.

Like I said before it will work ok on stock lower hp engines, keep it away from modded higher hp engines, or engines spinning alot of rpm. Thats when it will break down.[/b]
actually i checked both sides since my head was poking down there anyway. The exhaust side looked good to though. I check the exhaust side every year while the pipe is off to clean, check and adjust the chain case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts