Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for jobs and/or businesses to buy that would be successful.

On my search I could not believe the amount of places for sale in Alpena. WTF is going on up there? I thought it was growing. Is it being affected by the auto biz down here?

FWIW, nothing For Sale in Gaylord that I found. PLENTY in the U.P. though, not good :cn:

Then we move to the other side of the state. I found two places I checked further into in Traverse City in case I have to pack up the family and move back up there to a house that has no payment.

For anyone with $1.9 Mil laying around, there is a Powersports store for sale with full product lines, ATVs, Sleds, Boats, etc. and 12 employees. Owner is retiring.

G

·
Beagle, is the Powerssports store in TC? I stopped there Saturday, he has 04 snowmobiles still in the crates, he has alot of inventory he can't push right now

Alpena, did you know that all the air traffic controllers from Selfridge Air Force Base are being moved to Alpena. Most of their controllers are civilians/retired air force

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
For anyone with $1.9 Mil laying around, there is a Powersports store for sale with full product lines, ATVs, Sleds, Boats, etc. and 12 employees. Owner is retiring.[/b]
I don't think people make as much dough up there as they do in other areas. Pushing high priced toys may not be the best plan right now IMO.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me edit this to not be so harsh...

A motel in an area that is weather and vacationer dependant in this economy doesn't seem like a good way to support my family right now.

Anyone look outside lately? I used to look at all the places closed, vacant or For Sale on my trips up to the U.P. in the off season. I think motels are good write off's for rich folks thse days, not a way to support a family. Whatever happend to Joe Snow? He was doing a deal for like a dozen Motels inthe state about a year ago and then vanished :dunno:

Nothing personal against Mancelona, but I have a home already paid for 16 miles out of Traverse City. Makes more sense to do something there if I am forced to move back up to the area. And TC is much less weather and resorter dependant these days, not like the last time I tried to live there.

I appreciate the thoughts and input though. :beerchug:

If I was to buy a motel it would have been the one in Interlochen. It's never vacant. Always something going on there. Especially with the Music Camp so close.

PG, yup, the store is in TC. The inventory IS NOT included though, but available. If it's floorplanned, and if he has 04's, I think the books may not be looking to good. I think the price is quite steep for what it is. I am surprised he doesn't call Spicer's to get out from under those leftovers. That's who moves most of the leftovers in the midwest. But looking outside, they probably don't want them either.

12 years ago this April I was already to buy Team Highland before it expanded and then moved. I thank myself for not doing that every year we have a winter like this. Back then their books looked light, and they weren't moving many sleds, and Cat ATVs were not out yet. I would have had to still work part time AND own the business to make ends meet. That's not living, that's existing.

G

·
Track and Trail, Skidoo dealership in Caddy was on the news up there Friday night. Not one customer all day, they ordered pizza for lunch so he figured he was in the whole for the day

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Theres a Motel off 131 in Mancelona across the street from Dura for sale. 8 rooms and a office for 170 grand. All redone last year. I was looking at that this year, but after the past few winters and seeing all the motels in the area vacant as they are now.... no way. It's still for sale.

How about an auto body shop in Bellaire?

-Duane

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for jobs and/or businesses to buy that would be successful.

On my search I could not believe the amount of places for sale in Alpena. WTF is going on up there? I thought it was growing. Is it being affected by the auto biz down here?

FWIW, nothing For Sale in Gaylord that I found. PLENTY in the U.P. though, not good :cn:

Then we move to the other side of the state. I found two places I checked further into in Traverse City in case I have to pack up the family and move back up there to a house that has no payment.

For anyone with $1.9 Mil laying around, there is a Powersports store for sale with full product lines, ATVs, Sleds, Boats, etc. and 12 employees. Owner is retiring.[/b]
The only growing that's happening up here in alpena is people retiring and going on wellfair!! Good work is pretty slim in the area, maybe only 5 to 6 really good places to work that pay good cash. The places are for sale for a reason, good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
‘21 Indy 600 SP 137 & 2015 RMK 155 LE
25,408 Posts
I was told just a month or so ago, by a reputable source no doubt, that the two biggest growing areas in this
state are the Gaylord and TC areas. I just don't see it though.....With all the layoffs, buyouts, and forced retirements
in the lower regions of this state, how is anybody(minus a retiree....See fixed income though)making any real
money up there?? No offence to all of you up there that are but man, with the way things are around here, I just
can't hardly see it......:dunno:

Wish I could find a way to make a decent living up in the Grayling/Mancalona/Gaylord area. I'd be gone in a heartbeat....

·
Registered
772 Posts
I was told just a month or so ago, by a reputable source no doubt, that the two biggest growing areas in this
state are the Gaylord and TC areas. I just don't see it though.....With all the layoffs, buyouts, and forced retirements
in the lower regions of this state, how is anybody(minus a retiree....See fixed income though)making any real
money up there?? No offence to all of you up there that are but man, with the way things are around here, I just

Wish I could find a way to make a decent living up in the Grayling/Mancalona/Gaylord area. I'd be gone in a heartbeat....[/b]

Just give a big :bigfinger: to every import driver when you seem them.....just to say thanks for supporting the great state of Michigan.

·
Registered
Switchback Assault 800
951 Posts
The wife and i were thinking about buying a farm up that way. Grow some cash crop. THats always in demand.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Just give a big :bigfinger: to every import driver when you seem them.....just to say thanks for supporting the great state of Michigan.[/b]
That seems like a pretty ignorant statement.......

Within a few years, 100% of the Honda Vehicles sold in the USA will be COMPLETELY made in the USA while your Big 3 are looking overseas....

Don't get me wrong, I drive GM Vehicles. You just can't blame "Imports" for your problems up there....

·
Registered
669 Posts

Within a few years, 100% of the Honda Vehicles sold in the USA will be COMPLETELY made in the USA while your Big 3 are looking overseas....

Don't get me wrong, I drive GM Vehicles. You just can't blame "Imports" for your problems up there....[/b]
I agree. I've always driven MoPar vehicles because that's who put bread on our table as I was growing up.

The last few years it seems that almost all the business comes from Honda and Toyota, and some from Chrysler. GM and Ford are to busy trying to source everything they can out of th country. Tool it in China or some other Asian country, and manufacture it in Mexico.

At least Honda and Toyota are investing there money here. Keeping much of the business in the country, and supporting American workers. I could give a shit "where the profits are going". Last I checked most of the Auto companys were publicly traded and owned by stock holders all over the world.

Don't blame the foreign manufacturers for the problems of the US car manufacturers. They just started building quality vehicles before the arogent US manufacturers did. Now, the domestic manufacturers are caught with their pants down and trying to catch up. I think there primary interest is in keeping there stock values up by keeping there profits up. The easiest way to do this is in short order is cut costs, cut payroll, cut, cut, cut...

Of course the question remains, who will be left to buy these vehicles?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how about a mfg co.[/b]
In Michigan? :smilielol: No thanks, I have a conscience. The only way to make mfg. work in Michigan is to outsource. Win a huge contract for $2 mil, outsource to BFE somewhere for $800,000 and pocket the difference. Happening every month here in the Great Lakes State :banghead:
Although I hear Tower may be coming out of bankruptcy? Wonder how many people are going to be cut, or if not the business relocated altogether.

Wish I could find a way to make a decent living up in the Grayling/Mancalona/Gaylord area. I'd be gone in a heartbeat....[/b]
Yes TC and Gaylord are trading back & forth for the fastest growing cities in Michigan, and at times, the country. Why can peoplle move up there? Well here is what I am seeing and what is being explained to me. The BUYOUTS. Many of the autoworkers that are retiring or being bought out are paying off their vacation home or it is already paid for. So there in lies the flooded market around metro Detroit. These folks are usually empty nesters, and are bailing out of here to live where they planned to when they retired, which is happening earlier.

Now, keep this in mind. Traverse City IMO is the role model for the rest of Michigan. No MIDDLE CLASS. Upper & Lower. Very few good paying middle of the road jobs. You either own a place or work for someone that does. "And a View of the Bay is Worth Half the Pay".

Golfer should be able to fill you in more on what & why things are happening in TC.

Saya buddy, I honestly think that in 2007 you could make it work in TC as a GM wrench. Either at William's Chevy or at the large independant down South Airport Road that is a huge GM repair shop. Can't remember the name. I kick myself sometimes now for not going into business with the friend I made from Iraq at the Ford Dealer when I lived up there in 1996. Yup, I said Iraq. Fred was a top notch guy (though not Muslim). He about begged me to go into business with him down on US 31. He's still up there, and doing well.

Saya, you want to venture up there in the spring, let me know. Maybe I can supply you with some free lodging and you can go sniff around for a job. If you were to move there, you'd have some instant connections too. As for housing. I would NOT live in Grand Traverse County. Taxes are to high. Live in Wexford, Benzie or Antrim and commute. None of those are to far from the auto repair hub of TC.

And if imports make your blood boil, you may not want to move to TC. Imports are the rule up there for cars, trucks are still mainly domestic. "Cause let's face it, there is no way an import truck can tow 8500# at 75mph :smilielol:

I should know by the end of summer if I have to move to TC or not. I will just take it hard in the rear with no KY when I go to sell my downstate house.

Don't get me wrong, I drive GM Vehicles. You just can't blame "Imports" for your problems up there....[/b]
I am not going to get into this debate again "You just can't blame "Imports" for your problems up there...."...it's been beat to death.

But I will add what I have learned researching on the WWW while unemployed, and what I already know from my previous jobs and belonging to SAE. This is not BASHING, or taking sides, it is strictly for knowledge.

- Chrysler (DCX) is going to start building a bunch of vehicles IN CHINA and shipping them here. Should start to see them the end of this year. Don't know what the 1st digit of the VIN will be for that yet though.

-If you drive a GM vehicle with a 3.1 or 3.4 pushrod engine built in the last 2 years, your engine is fondly referred to as the "China V-6" , you can figure out why on your own.

-If you have a GM with a HF-V6, the engine was built in Australia or Canada.

-Lots of Ford & GM stuff comes from Mexico already. Including the manliest of all trucks, the Super Duties :banghead: Check your VIN for a 3 as the 1st digit before you freak out.

-GM is building and testing plenty of stuff in China to be exported here. One of my good friends from my last job had to go to China for 3 months to teach their people how to do OUR JOB :frech32: And my old department head is there now doing God knows what for them. GM has a ton of job listings to work & live in China and come back to the USA occasionally.

-There is a huge industrial park that was built in China for the automotive companies. I am talking Delphi, Bosch, Visteon, Ford, GM and DCX among the big names. Pretty much a smaller version of what Detroit was in it's hayday.

-In 2 years you should see your very 1st all Chinese designed and built car here in the U.S. for sale. It will be from a company called Cherry or something along those lines, not sure on the spelling.

Worst of all, over there their Auto Shows still dress the models in short dresses and low cut tops. Not here anymore, that's not PC.

If anyone would like to follow this saga of selling off Michigan one sector at a time, join SAE and receive the Automotive Engineering magazine. They now have dedicated a whole section to what's happening in China :wut60: You don't have to work in a place like I did to find all this out.

So...anyone want some fortune cookies now? It will read "America is selling out".

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Beagle, bluelakezr, you guys are spot on with your facts. Funny, I share the same view, but I get targeted for abuse by sheeple for saying the same things... guess it's just a personal thing. :dunno:

saya has Toyo mech experience... I'd think good auto mechs could get a job nearly anywhere in the state, and stay busy?? :dunno: Hard to move away from everything you know though. Wife had a job opp in Keewenaw for more than she makes down here (really nice bucks), but I couldn't pull the trigger on my kids at this point. Might regret it... :cn:

:beerchug:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Beagle, bluelakezr, you guys are spot on with your facts. Funny, I share the same view, but I get targeted for abuse by sheeple for saying the same things... guess it's just a personal thing. :dunno:

Hey Dooms Day Dennis, I'm jeolous I don't have my own personal stalker. You my friend are a popular guy. :div20:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My wife has a job offer right now in Chicago and I think we're outta here. I know what ya mean Dennis about moving the kids - tough deal. I will still be within driving distance to the Caddilac area and the opportunities are endless compared to here. Not bashing Michigan, I love this place but ya gotta be real.

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
Alot of baby boomers retiring also is part reason for TC etc growing ...

Good post Beagle on the auto stats. China is gonna be the death blow for the auto industry here

YH ... its not personal why peopple attack you on your posts. Your just sorta fun to beat up on now & then :smilielol: J/K

:beerchug:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts