Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday January 05 08 a group of at least 20 sledders and our group stopped in for a bite to eat. We stopped in front at 5:30pm and all of a sudden a women yells out there closed. What the hell, you nust be joking. No one could believe it. I asked a while back what was up at the lodge and everyone seemed to believe that it was business as usual. Talking to the locals I found out that they laid a bunch of peole off and the hours change day to day. The day before we rode up the first time at 7:10 pm and there were no sleds, you could see them in the kitchen then in mad scramble they shut all the lights out.

I guess thats it for the Lodge. There seems to be a couple places down the trail one is the Honey Doo and one right across the street but not sure of the name. Too bad that they are acting like this as our rides were planned and they were to be one of our stops.

·
Registered
88 Posts
On Saturday January 05 08 a group of at least 20 sledders and our group stopped in for a bite to eat. We stopped in front at 5:30pm and all of a sudden a women yells out there closed. What the hell, you nust be joking. No one could believe it. I asked a while back what was up at the lodge and everyone seemed to believe that it was business as usual. Talking to the locals I found out that they laid a bunch of peole off and the hours change day to day. The day before we rode up the first time at 7:10 pm and there were no sleds, you could see them in the kitchen then in mad scramble they shut all the lights out.

I guess thats it for the Lodge. There seems to be a couple places down the trail one is the Honey Doo and one right across the street but not sure of the name. Too bad that they are acting like this as our rides were planned and they were to be one of our stops.
[/b]
That's too bad. I stopped there last year and it was quite enjoyable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, How ya do'n.

I think we where the four people eating there when your group came in. The girl said they where closing early due to the freezing rain (I didn't see any freezing rain).

Anyways, the food kinda sucked and they had no selection of pop. We think they might be going out of business.

We also stopped by there on the bikes during the fall 07 and they where closed.

Happy Trails

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I was in there Dec 30th and it was packed. We did think they could use more staff. Food was good as per usual. Great location, I hope things can turn around.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You got of wonder what sort of business a person is running that would possess them to close shop with 20 sleds pulling up wanting to basically give you there money. :wtf:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
That's weird ..... we rode in on Friday (4th) and again, seemed like business as usual?? :dunno: We arrived at noon on the button, and while we were there, a bunch more people showed up ... I actually COUNTED this time, and there were at least 25 sleds outside, and a couple more pulling in when we left.

Don't like hearing stuff like this ... the Algonquin Lodge has been around for about as long as I can remember ... hopefully they can pull things together?? :hmm:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, How ya do'n.

I think we where the four people eating there when your group came in. The girl said they where closing early due to the freezing rain (I didn't see any freezing rain).

Anyways, the food kinda sucked and they had no selection of pop. We think they might be going out of business.

We also stopped by there on the bikes during the fall 07 and they where closed.

Happy Trails[/b]
Yep , you must of been inside at that time. At least they were nice enough to let our wives use the restrooms. We laughed and wondered what she was talking about when she said there was freezing rain. It had snowed back at Bancroft but we never seen any freezing rain either. Too bad if this place is going under we always had a good time there.

See, you never know where the HCSs are. LOL.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No porterville is just to the south on the west side of the highway the owners owned the algonqin a couple of years ago but sold and bought this place(was called red necks or Z's)

·
Registered
263 Posts
it is good it is the old owners she updates the trail condtions like she used to when she owned the lodge also we goin for breakfast at honeydoos they have decent food and they are great people and could use the extra business if u guys and gals are in the neighbourhood seriously great people

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
and bought this place(was called red necks or Z's)[/b]
It was previously called 'Z's place'.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I too have stopped at the algonquin three times this year, once on the bikes in the fall, closed, twice on the sleds, closed. so far this year i have hit them open only once. not sure whats going on, hopefully they get it together. maybe we should email them the link to this forum. they don't update the trail conditions anymore on their site either, may as well pull that page off.

·
Registered
874 Posts
We went by the Lodge @ 4:30 PM on Saturday, not a single sled parked out front. Came back from a short ride up the the forest access road past Hwy 127 (B106E) & had a bite @ the Porterville Diner. Food was good & looks like they've done a lot of work on the interior.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
We went by the Lodge @ 4:30 PM on Saturday, not a single sled parked out front. Came back from a short ride up the the forest access road past Hwy 127 (B106E) & had a bite @ the Porterville Diner. Food was good & looks like they've done a lot of work on the interior.[/b]
Thanks Revrnd, good to know that there's some good eats nearby.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts