Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to thew mountains some time in mid march cannot decide on where to go and stay is there good riding right from albany lodge? read that the better riding is on the other side of mountain. how busy is it around the snowies? going from a saturday to following friday.

or i am thinking of heading to the Dubois, togwotee area. was there about 14 years ago. is it worth the other 6 hour futher drive (12 round trip ) than the Snowies/ looking into Lava mountain Lodge. thanks for any input / advice

ps want to boondock and hill climb

·
Registered
355 Posts
In my opinion......Albany lodge is great to ride out of. Its there or at Centennial....about 30 miles from there. Albany has a resturant/motel/bar/fuel.........all basically in the same building. You can ride from your front door. Either way you come from......most of us ride from the east side of Alabany/Cent to get to the goody on the west side. Centennial is probably a bit closer to the goody, but not as handy in terms of services/loading/lodging........ Lots of trails and places to boondock along the way to west side and even better when you get there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was in the Snowy's the 26th-29th of Dec this year. This was my first time in the Snowy's (but not first time mtn riding) and stayed in Centennial. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Centennial. There is a short (about 7 mile) drive up to the unloading point, but I actually liked this as there weren't any sleds cruising around my hotel at bar closing time. We found plenty of deep untracked snow by travelling less than 10 miles on the trail....Kept a couple M7's, a Rev, and a Switchback busy getting unstuck. Enjoy your trip and ride safe!

·
Registered
232 Posts
JUGGS youve got to be the coolest guy around. i dont know why people are trying to help you like you help us out, anyways both pete 1717 and I will be out there on march 10, i have been to both sides of the mountain and what i can tell you about albany lodge is that it is great boondocking didnt have to stay on the trail more than a mile or 2 if anything go into laramie and talk to the arctic cat dealer he helped us out last year told us some sweet places to go, but i have been out there 6 or 7times and i like going to the top alot of climbing and boondocking you have to find it but i think it is great there. We stay in laramie (kinda sucks) but there is a night life there is a bar/resturant right by the sinclair in town there that i promise you, you would like it. Hot Carla is her name. Tell me what week you are going to be out there and we can have HCS ride in the snowies, put it this way you are the hugh hefner of HCS everyone wants to meet you.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I just got back from albany lodge yesterday and from all the other lodges i saw it is by far the best. The only down part to it is that it is about 20 mile trail ride to the steep stuff. But if you dont mind that then you will have no problem, I would try to reserve as fast as you can as it seems like it is a very popular spot. Watch out for the flats on your way to the hills.....they can have some white out conditions as it happened to me this past week....

·
Banned
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JUGGS youve got to be the coolest guy around. i dont know why people are trying to help you like you help us out, anyways both pete 1717 and I will be out there on march 10, i have been to both sides of the mountain and what i can tell you about albany lodge is that it is great boondocking didnt have to stay on the trail more than a mile or 2 if anything go into laramie and talk to the arctic cat dealer he helped us out last year told us some sweet places to go, but i have been out there 6 or 7times and i like going to the top alot of climbing and boondocking you have to find it but i think it is great there. We stay in laramie (kinda sucks) but there is a night life there is a bar/resturant right by the sinclair in town there that i promise you, you would like it. Hot Carla is her name. Tell me what week you are going to be out there and we can have HCS ride in the snowies, put it this way you are the hugh hefner of HCS everyone wants to meet you.[/b]

I just got back from albany lodge yesterday and from all the other lodges i saw it is by far the best. The only down part to it is that it is about 20 mile trail ride to the steep stuff. But if you dont mind that then you will have no problem, I would try to reserve as fast as you can as it seems like it is a very popular spot. Watch out for the flats on your way to the hills.....they can have some white out conditions as it happened to me this past week....[/b]
Thanks dd700 + jafraune
i have the Aspen house reserved for the 17th to the 23rd of March at Albany Lodge . how long will you be out there ?
do any of you travel with Gps and have coordinates to the sweeet spots ? i have a topo on my puter also for my Gps
will have to check out Hot Carla
thanks again
ps i don`t know about hugh hefner he has more $ than he knows what to do with and 3 smokin blondes at his side all the time , he`s got me beat in both depatmnts LOL
oh ywa any strip clubs in Laramie

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Naviagation in the snowies is very easy....at least i thought so. All i used was a map (didnt even have to take out the compass ever. If you have any sense of direction or have navigated through the UP the snowies is a breeze. But like a said when the weather comes up, it comes up fast. Just watch out for high winds and falling snow. At albany lodge you may wake up and it may look sunny and nice, but when you start to go up the mountain the weather can turn real quick. We even had problems on highway 130 and 11 to albany lodge in the truck!!!. But if you have a GPS you should be sitting real good. I heard there were some good offtrailing around trail K. The front side of the mountain had some fun hills to climb right off trail U. Just make sure you watch your fuel level. About the strip clubs...not to sure as we were basically stuck at the lodge the week i was there...due to blizzards....but im sure you could take a cruise through laramie and find something. anyways have fun

·
Registered
650 Posts
The boys arrived in Laramie 10 this morning.. Couldnt get into Albany Lodge..
with a last minute decision to make this trip (decided yesterday morning and headed out by 2)
ended up staying a bit south of there in Wycolo (i think)
I think they're planning on trailering Fri or Sat more north by Albany Lodge
Heres a few pics for the riding they did today...

for more pics http://hiawathamotorinn.com/snowmobiling.shtml

·
Registered
650 Posts
The trails were awesome and
snow was forecasted so we were hurried to get up to the top. Snow was
pretty firm so it was great for our 1.25 crossover sled. We were up to
10,866 ft. Met up with some local boys climbing, we watched them make
a few climbs and then up went John followed by Jeff then me. I tell you what,
that sure got the old ticker pumping. Jeff said it even got his leg wet. But
the trip down gets a bit speedy like it or not. We managed to click off
160+ miles with a bit of off trail. We are having a ball to say the least.
They are calling for 15"-20" of fresh powder tonite. We met up with
quite a few hmi site readers today from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa
& Michigan. It was cool to hear this far from home.
Met a great lil pup - almost had to lure it home.. :)

Yea, thats John's new Crossfire doing the trenching...

for more pics http://hiawathamotorinn.com/snowmobiling.shtml

·
Registered
516 Posts
There are no strip clubs in Laramie but with the college girls back in town just go to a bar. When they get drunk you may see some "STUFF" Closest strip club is Cheyenne (45miles) called the Green Door. Then Fort Collins is the next closest.

·
Banned
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, sclwald

thats ok will hit a few this winter riding in WI.

have any tips for some great places to play ,climb and boondock , staying at albany lodge will be using GPS and map and i have topo map for the Gps also
Thanks

hiawatha have any more great pictures from the trip ?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Juggs
Have some pics from the first 4 days on our site http://hiawathamotorinn.com/snowmobiling.shtml
Didnt get pics from yesterdays ride, the boys rode for the day and loaded up and headed
home last nite bout 9pm.. will have more pics when they get back tonite....
First thing Al asked this morning when he called from outside DesMoines
"get enough snow to ride when I get home?" .... :hyper:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts